The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Right! So this upset me too. Me being a Muslim myself and not being able to come out... it made me upset that many Muslim.parents are not letting there children go to school.
I feel these parents fail to realise that being LGBTQ is not a choice. Some parents think that their child may "turn" gay. Which is obviously not possible!!
I feel the sooner people realise that it's not a choice the better!!

Not all Muslims are homophobic btw. It's all about accepting other people for whom they are.
And there were also a few Christian's who opposed this too.

I feel children should be taught about LGBT ofcourse. But maybe when the children are abit older. I do understand as to why some parents may object... as some said that they had nothing against the LGBT community its just that they felt it was too early for there children to grasp this.

So maybe they should be taught about LGBT when they're slightly older.
But either way I feel there is nothing wrong in being taught LGBT lessons in school! Hopefully it'll reduce homophobia!
Original post by liquidconfidence
Correct. As you stated: ‘most are very accepting of homosexuality’.

So what is your point exactly?

My point can be found in the 1st para, 2nd sentence.
Original post by Homo Fuge
Us teachers already have enough work to deal with. We don’t have time to deal with temper tantrums of butt hurt adults.

:lol:
Original post by Violet Femme
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/04/birmingham-school-stops-lgbt-lessons-after-parent-protests

The most frustrating thing is that many UK Muslims have a real problem with bigotry towards LGBT people, with half believing homosexuality should be illegal.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

Sadly removing pupils from lessons which will challenge the views of their parents mean these children will likely share their parent's backwards values.

Of course, a percentage of these pupils will likely be gay themselves and may suffer with the bullying, isolation, mental health problems, suicide attempts, and unhappy relationships that are the norm when you are gay in a socially conservative environment.

It is also entirely self-defeating for the Muslim community. They often complain about being marginalised and discriminated against. Yet they, or at least the more socially conservative among them, are happy to display their intolerance towards LGBT people. As long as they hold such views, Muslims will find it difficult to integrate into British life.

Do you have information on the contents of these lessons? I agree with teaching kids about LGBT relationships, and I'd expect principled Islamic resistance to even the most minimal education in that regard, but I would like to know for myself what they deemed so objectionable.
Original post by Homo Fuge
I don’t impose anything on my students. My students often ask me about my sexuality and I have no issue answering their questions. I respect their religious beliefs but at the same time the curriculum requires teachers to promote British values to students. OFSTED will inspect us to see that we are promoting equality, diversity and inclusivity in lessons.

Schools are responsible for the education of children, not parents. Parents can teach whatever they want to their kids at home but they do not have the authority to dictate what schools teach. Schools follow a set curriculum and government standards. Parents can either deal with it or home school their children instead.

Us teachers already have enough work to deal with. We don’t have time to deal with temper tantrums of butt hurt adults.

again.... dude no one's butt hurt over you pushing your ideology, if its in direct opposition with my religion, if it involves you telling my children that their religion is wrong and you are right because in this country at this time it is the norm....I'd simply remove my kid period, independent schooling or train em myself. worth the effort my child's mind and future thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy
Can confirm I am now a pile of ash, such a shame since now my arms have been cremated I don't have anything to waste my time typing with

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: (hopefully you'll be resurrected in another thread!)
Original post by Trapmoneybenny
Off point its kinda ironic you make the statement "butt hurt" ...just saying

You're not funny...your views are offensive to many people, including myself. Maybe you should home educate your kids if you're that worried about teachers like @Homo Fuge "pushing" their ideology of equality, diversity and inclusivity
Original post by Trapmoneybenny
Precisely, I'm a Christian, who actually reads his bible and follows it fundamentally and i dont want my kids being drowned in this dogma that is antithetical to their faith.
If people class that as intolerance, then you're abusing the word to fit your agenda. I disagree with you and would kindly not like your ideas shovelled into my kids heads.

Disagreeing with gay people doesn't mean i'd ever want to discriminate against for pete's sake. I disagree with people who drink alcohol and have sex before marriage and i don't hold rallies against them
. Wise up people, i can disagree and pull my kids out if i want to.

Gay people don't impose dogma.If anyone does that it's most certainly the religious.
Original post by Zabidoo
STOP GENERALISING MUSLIMS

As a muslims female, I'm quite open minded, I go to an all girls school (majority muslims) and majority of us are all accepting of the lgbtq community...some of them are even apart of it
That's not to say there aren't muslims out there that are repulsed by them, I've met people who are and every single time I stick up for the lgbtq community (even against my own father) becuz in islam, we are meant to respect all people, of all faiths and all backgrounds and people who don't are just plain rude and disrespectful

Everyone had their own personal views about things
U can't say "all black people hate white people"
U can't say "all Christians hate jews"
So u can't say "all muslims hate the lgbtq community"
(Not saying any of these are true, or that that's what ur trying to say, I'm just trying to get my point across)

If that's what muslims are doing, then it's just ridiculous...
However, we also have to take into account that's (some) muslims arent the only people with intolerance to the lgbtq community...what about other normal people? Does that mean that everyone else who doesn't like lgbtq can't integrate into British life?

Just one more point, just becuz were Muslim, doesn't mean we don't know how to integrate into British life...after all, a lot of us were born here u know...

Thank u for reading...I'm not trying to start arguements, I'm just trying to speak in a mature, respectful manner

Almost everything you’ve written is purely anecdotal. Furthermore, saying “some Muslims aren’t the only people who are intolerant towards the LGBT community” just seems like you’re sweeping it all under the carpet with whataboutery.

I can tell you’re young, but it’s high time the British Muslim community start making efforts to integrate.
Original post by generallee
I have got absolutely no sympathy with you. None at all.

You idiots on the left peddle your cultural relativist nonsense, and your “Islamophobia” boll0cks which leads to the intellectual and political over protection of really wicked Islamic intolerance towards gays, trans people and feminists.

And then you moan at the inevitable consequences.

Ask yourself, as the Muslim population increases (all borders are racist, right?) and becomes more and more influential politically, whose views are going to prevail? Theirs or yours?

I guess this has to be taken on a case by case basis. I'm on the left and I'm sure I don't need to tell you how much I criticise Islam and don't subscribe to any of this "Islamophobia" nonsense.
Original post by Rainfall
Homosexuality is a really big sin but really don’t think it’s fair for Muslims to be hating on people just because of their sexual preference. Because Muslims should be kind and I accept gay people and I’m British Muslim. But there are homophobes in every group

If you consider homosexuality to be a sin, you’re a homophobe.
Original post by Occitanie

It’s what my religion believes. But call me what you want. I know I’m not so
Original post by Rainfall
It’s what my religion believes. But call me what you want. I know I’m not so

The two are not mutually exclusive.You are homophobic because your religion is itself inherently homophobic.
This thread is supposed to discuss people being intolerant, but all that I have seen is people being intolerant and spreading hate to Muslims, those who are religious and those who simply have a different viewpoint. It’s hypocritical, and fairly disgusting to be honest.

I know that it can be hurtful to LGBT people to hear that their lives, something they did not choose is a sin. However, I believe everyone has the right to an opinion. If those parents want to pull their kids out of those classes, so be it, but that also doesn’t mean the school should ban and scrap the class completely. It’s their opinion, as long as they do not discriminate, harm or preach hate on anyone, then I consider that being tolerant.
Original post by AJ126
The two are not mutually exclusive.You are homophobic because your religion is itself inherently homophobic.

But my religion tells me to be kind to everyone so
Woah, being religious doesn’t make you homophobic. If your family hates gays but you don’t, does it make you homophobic?
You have to think for yourself
Original post by AJ126

Your argument is completely flawed, Christians aren’t meant to have sex before marriage and can be considered a sin, that doesn’t mean Christians hate those who do. Jews aren’t meant to eat non-kosher food, its considered a sin to eat bacon, that doesn’t mean they hate those that do.

Islam teaches that you are to love those, even if they do wrong, it’s the same with Christianity and Judaism, and countless other religions.
Reply 118
Original post by Occitanie

I guess that makes all us Muslims homophobes. Say what you want dude but our religion wont change. Our religion came before lgbt and it wont change for anything.
Original post by Leviathan1611
and I thought a homophobe was someone who hated/discrimated homosexuals, but no, if you just disagree with their deathstyle, you're a homophobe. I've learnt something new today, thank you 🙂

Their “death style”?!

Latest

Trending

Trending