The Student Room Group

MSc Postgraduate Loan

Hello! I find myself in a challenging situation and could use some guidance.

I recently applied for a master's degree, was accepted, and also secured a Masters Loan for it. The program is set to begin on September 18th. However, our family's financial circumstances took a sudden downturn due to an unfortunate family event. Given this change, I'm unsure whether I should go ahead and confirm my enrollment for September at the university or if I should consider deferring my entry.

My specific concern is related to what happens if I confirm my place at the university and receive the first instalment of the loan, which is scheduled for September, but then have to withdraw from the course. Will that loan amount be integrated into the repayment scheme, or will it be considered an overpayment, that's required to be sent back immediately?

Thank you very much ! Have a great day !
Original post by Albert123431
Hello! I find myself in a challenging situation and could use some guidance.

I recently applied for a master's degree, was accepted, and also secured a Masters Loan for it. The program is set to begin on September 18th. However, our family's financial circumstances took a sudden downturn due to an unfortunate family event. Given this change, I'm unsure whether I should go ahead and confirm my enrollment for September at the university or if I should consider deferring my entry.

My specific concern is related to what happens if I confirm my place at the university and receive the first instalment of the loan, which is scheduled for September, but then have to withdraw from the course. Will that loan amount be integrated into the repayment scheme, or will it be considered an overpayment, that's required to be sent back immediately?

Thank you very much ! Have a great day !

Hi there,

If your university advises you are not in attendance then it would be classed as an overpayment. Are you looking to defer until 2024? As long as the university don't release your payment then you'd be able to cancel this and apply for 24/25 or whenever you're looking to return. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending