The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography 8035 - Paper 2- 05th June 2019

AQA GCSE Geography 8035 - Paper 2- 05th June

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... It's all here :gthumb: Feel free to add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others :smartass:

This thread covers the following papers:

8035 Paper 2: Challenges in the human environment 1h 30m 05 June 2019 pm

:rave:

The official specification: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/geography/specifications/AQA-8035-SP-2016.PDF

Spoiler

Specimen and past papers:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geography/gcse/geography-8035/assessment-resources

:goodluck:

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

anyone else hate paper 2
Original post by gracereibb
anyone else hate paper 2

What did paper 2 ever do to you?
i love paper 2 paper 1 sucksss
Does anybody else think changing places is very similar/ a sub section of globalisation.
I'm praying that it will be as unbelievable as that paper 1
Reply 6
In paper 1, am I right in saying that there was only a page on rainforests?
Original post by UnbelievablyEasy
I'm praying that it will be as unbelievable as that paper 1
Original post by JeevanG
In paper 1, am I right in saying that there was only a page on rainforests?

There are 25 marks on the Living World. 6 marks and 9 marks (or I think 9 + 3 marks for spag) were on cold environments as I remember. This leaves behind 10 marks or even 7 marks, so I can't remember exactly but that would be likely.
Paper 2 is so difficult to revise, because there's too much content :frown:
guys, you know the traffic part of the spec. Are they talking about a case study or just a general fact kinda thing
Original post by MEgan greem
guys, you know the traffic part of the spec. Are they talking about a case study or just a general fact kinda thing

This is UNBELIEVABLY vague, but if you are talking about traffic congestion as an environmental issue in a LIC/NEE, then yes you do need to know this. For example, I have learnt about Rio with this - this is a case study. This did come up last year though, so it is extremely unlikely to come up this year anyway.

However, if you are talking about "How urban transport strategies are used to reduce traffic congestion", I don't think you need a case study for this technically, but it would be good to know one - I learnt Freiburg for this. Both of these are in Section A of human geography.
The spec requires to understand "how urban transport strategies are used to reduce traffic congestion."
I think it would be ok if u learn a mini, mini case study (like managing traffic in Beijing):

Beijing has around 5 million cars. Congestion is predicted to get worse as the number of cars continues to grow.
Strategies:
a) Only 20% who apply are allowed to own a car.
b) Increased parking fees
c) Congestion charge and pollution tax
d) Expansion of the public transport system (30 new metro lines by 2020)
e) Cars banned once a week (based on the registration number)
f) Non-residents are not allowed to bring a car.

Success:
i. 12% drop in the use of car parks and 20% drop in car use.
ii. However, building and widening of roads have resulted in increased car use.

Now using this knowledge:
describe a strategy that can be used to manage traffic congestions (3)
INCREASE PARKING FEES AND EXPLAIN HOW THIS COULD HELP. IF YOU HAVE TIME, THEN MENTION THAT THIS STRATEGY IS IN PLACE IN BEIJING, CHINA AND HAS RESULTED IN 12% DROP IN THE USE OF CAR PARKS.

Good luck.

I have learned Beijing for this.
Good luck.
Original post by UnbelievablyEasy
This is UNBELIEVABLY vague, but if you are talking about traffic congestion as an environmental issue in a LIC/NEE, then yes you do need to know this. For example, I have learnt about Rio with this - this is a case study. This did come up last year though, so it is extremely unlikely to come up this year anyway.

However, if you are talking about "How urban transport strategies are used to reduce traffic congestion", I don't think you need a case study for this technically, but it would be good to know one - I learnt Freiburg for this. Both of these are in Section A of human geography.
Lol I know nothing for this paper
A good way to revise is to have a copy of the spec and make a document on each key point.

revision.docx:
Challenges in the Human Environment

Unit 1 - Urban Issues and Challenges
KEY IDEA (Urban change in cities in the UK leads to a variety of social, economic and environmental opportunities and challenges.)
SPECIFICATION CONTENT (the location and importance of the city in the UK and the wider world)
NOTES***************************

SPECIFICATION CONTENT2 (**********************************_

Use cool geography/ textbooks to make a document.
This way u can be sure that u have covered every corner of the spec room and no need to carry thousands of books/ notes/ revision documents because everything is going to be in ONE DOCUMENT.

You still have time to try this. Good luck!
Original post by secret.user
Paper 2 is so difficult to revise, because there's too much content :frown:
they did a 9 marker on traffic last year so doubt it will come up again
Original post by ilansiva30
The spec requires to understand "how urban transport strategies are used to reduce traffic congestion."
I think it would be ok if u learn a mini, mini case study (like managing traffic in Beijing):

Beijing has around 5 million cars. Congestion is predicted to get worse as the number of cars continues to grow.
Strategies:
a) Only 20% who apply are allowed to own a car.
b) Increased parking fees
c) Congestion charge and pollution tax
d) Expansion of the public transport system (30 new metro lines by 2020)
e) Cars banned once a week (based on the registration number)
f) Non-residents are not allowed to bring a car.

Success:
i. 12% drop in the use of car parks and 20% drop in car use.
ii. However, building and widening of roads have resulted in increased car use.

Now using this knowledge:
describe a strategy that can be used to manage traffic congestions (3)
INCREASE PARKING FEES AND EXPLAIN HOW THIS COULD HELP. IF YOU HAVE TIME, THEN MENTION THAT THIS STRATEGY IS IN PLACE IN BEIJING, CHINA AND HAS RESULTED IN 12% DROP IN THE USE OF CAR PARKS.

Good luck.
Thank you so much guys! The spec isn't clear at times so you've helped me out a lot
Thank you so much guys! The spec isn't clear at times so you've helped me out a lot

To summarise: there are two places where it's referenced both in Section A, but both came up last year anyway.
hey guys
here's a powerpoint i found useful
hope it helps with paper 2 revision and good luck
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/gcse-geography-paper-2-revision-powerpoint-11913800#
Original post by juliesmith145
hey guys
here's a powerpoint i found useful
hope it helps with paper 2 revision and good luck
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/gcse-geography-paper-2-revision-powerpoint-11913800#

That's a very good summary of all the case studies I have learnt (as well as the other content), I must have studied from the same revision guide as the author of that powerpoint.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who hasn't learnt any of the case studies - and wants to learn them fast or simply needs to brush up on the content.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending