The Student Room Group

RAF PTI Process

Hi all,

I'm in the early stages of my application process. Applied for the role of a PTI.

I have my AST next week, so I'd be interested to hear what your personal experience has been? I seem to be shocking at the spatial awareness 1/2 in the practice test.

So after you have the AST and Selection Interview. What is next?

I'm wondering where the medical comes in, as I feel I may have to look at an appeal.

Also, any females recently gone through the application process? How did you find the fitness tests?
Original post by Student19628914
Hi all,

I'm in the early stages of my application process. Applied for the role of a PTI.

I have my AST next week, so I'd be interested to hear what your personal experience has been? I seem to be shocking at the spatial awareness 1/2 in the practice test.

So after you have the AST and Selection Interview. What is next?

I'm wondering where the medical comes in, as I feel I may have to look at an appeal.

Also, any females recently gone through the application process? How did you find the fitness tests?

Hi
If you go here on the RAF Recruitment website and choose the role you're applying for from the drop down list first, then all stages of the application process will be listed:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/application-process

Have you watched the video on the AST page on the website too? It explains what will happen on the day.

Have you been using the RAF Fitness guide in the run up to application?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi
If you go here on the RAF Recruitment website and choose the role you're applying for from the drop down list first, then all stages of the application process will be listed:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/application-process

Have you watched the video on the AST page on the website too? It explains what will happen on the day.

Have you been using the RAF Fitness guide in the run up to application?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the link, I have previously visited the website and looked through the application process. Is this the exact order it will be done? It seems the Health Assessment is after the 3 days at RAF Cosford? The Prejoining fitness test is it done after the AST or as part of the 3 days at RAF Cosford?

Yes, I have watched the video on the AST website. I was just wondering on how people have found it.

I have looked at the RAF Fitness Guide and taken that into consideration as part of my training but I am aware the PTI fitness test includes more than just the standard run, press ups and sit ups.
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the link, I have previously visited the website and looked through the application process. Is this the exact order it will be done? It seems the Health Assessment is after the 3 days at RAF Cosford? The Prejoining fitness test is it done after the AST or as part of the 3 days at RAF Cosford?

Yes, I have watched the video on the AST website. I was just wondering on how people have found it.

I have looked at the RAF Fitness Guide and taken that into consideration as part of my training but I am aware the PTI fitness test includes more than just the standard run, press ups and sit ups.

Hi

It's how it's listed on there, you'll have your medical BEFORE you do your vetting at Cosford and fitness tests/elements. We need to make sure you're medically fit for service before seeing if you're physically ready for it.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
I have my AST next week as well ..
what i confuse is I’m wearing spectacles so do i need to fill up the form by myself???
Original post by Amos Ralte
I have my AST next week as well ..
what i confuse is I’m wearing spectacles so do i need to fill up the form by myself???

Hi

What are you confused about? Which form do you mean?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
I am wearing a spectacle, so the form of the medical should be fill up by me or Official???
I am wearing a spectacle, so the form of the medical should be fill up by me or Official???

Hi

Which form? You have to complete all of the forms that you're sent to take with you prior to the AST/Interview. Just because you wear glasses shouldn't stop you from completing all of the paperwork you've been sent.

Can you clarify exactly which form you're having issues with?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hi

Which form? You have to complete all of the forms that you're sent to take with you prior to the AST/Interview. Just because you wear glasses shouldn't stop you from completing all of the paperwork you've been sent.

Can you clarify exactly which form you're having issues with?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

CEE44121-127D-42C7-8854-A8F3508E9EEB.jpg.jpeg
CEE44121-127D-42C7-8854-A8F3508E9EEB.jpg.jpeg

Hi

Okay, that's clearer. As it states on the form, YOU need to get it filled in by your optometrist. The rest of the form has boxes for the AFCO to complete, but it's up to you to get the information, it's your application.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hi

Okay, that's clearer. As it states on the form, YOU need to get it filled in by your optometrist. The rest of the form has boxes for the AFCO to complete, but it's up to you to get the information, it's your application.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

So that i need to go to the doctor before AST???

Hi

Yes, you need to provide the information required on the form. Your optometrist will be able to fill it out for you.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 12

Hi - for the eyesight form (assuming its just glasses related and nothing more): you don't need to go to your doctors, you can go to your opticians where you last had an eye test. They can fill it out there and then. Hopefully you didn't go to Specsavers - they charged a fee! Vision Express didn't.
Female here, did my fitness test a couple weeks ago. My only advice is start now! Just keep practicing and practicing until you can very comfortably do it. You don't want to be pushing yourself to the limit just to scrape through the run for example, to then be absolutely wrecked and out of breath and not be able to do the push ups/sit ups.
As most women generally do, I struggled most with the push ups. But I just kept doing them and doing them, there's no way around it, you just have to do them and get used to doing them. I started doing push-ups on my knees and found that it didn't help with the actual push-ups at all. You need to practice the form of the push up so trying to make it easier by going on your knees might not actually help!

Let me know if you have any other questions about the fitness test! I'm sure if you're going for a PTI role then you should be keen about fitness anyway so should fly through it!
Hey there,

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I've started working on the fitness sides of things.
Thankfully push ups are my strong point. Maxing out at 50 per minute at the moment. It's the run I need to focus on and then attempting the push up and sit ups after.

Was the treadmill set on an incline for your run?

Original post by marveldinosaur
Female here, did my fitness test a couple weeks ago. My only advice is start now! Just keep practicing and practicing until you can very comfortably do it. You don't want to be pushing yourself to the limit just to scrape through the run for example, to then be absolutely wrecked and out of breath and not be able to do the push ups/sit ups.
As most women generally do, I struggled most with the push ups. But I just kept doing them and doing them, there's no way around it, you just have to do them and get used to doing them. I started doing push-ups on my knees and found that it didn't help with the actual push-ups at all. You need to practice the form of the push up so trying to make it easier by going on your knees might not actually help!

Let me know if you have any other questions about the fitness test! I'm sure if you're going for a PTI role then you should be keen about fitness anyway so should fly through it!
Hey there,

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I've started working on the fitness sides of things.
Thankfully push ups are my strong point. Maxing out at 50 per minute at the moment. It's the run I need to focus on and then attempting the push up and sit ups after.

Hi

The treadmill will be on zero incline for your run.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hey there,

Damn, nice! So jealous, mine are pathetic 😂 and no incline, nice and flat! Just keep doing the run and increasing the speed every time you do it, that eeemed to work for me!

Quick Reply

Latest