The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Physics Paper 3 - 3 June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Poll

How did you find this paper?

Edexcel Physics Paper 3 (General and Practical Principles in Physics)

Date: 3 June 2019
Session: PM
Length: 2h30
Marks: 120 (40% of the total A-level)

Paper 3 may examine any topic from the specification, and will include synoptic questions drawing on various topics. You will also be examined on understanding of experimental methods - including the 16 core practicals.

A formula booklet is at the end of the paper, and can be found here.

At least 40% of the marks over the three papers is awarded for maths at level 2 or above.

This paper is probably the most intimidating to revise for. Of interest for revision of experimental methods is the written alternatives to the old unit 3 and unit 6 for international candidates. The Core Practical worksheets can be found here.

Other Edexcel Physics Exams:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Which derivation will most likely come up now once ap1 and ap2 are done?
Maybe Thermodynamics
Original post by Digital_King321
Which derivation will most likely come up now once ap1 and ap2 are done?
Reply 3
hey everyone, how are you preparing for paper 3 apart from doing the linear papers? :smile:
Original post by solark
hey everyone, how are you preparing for paper 3 apart from doing the linear papers? :smile:

Unit 6 papers are quite useful for practical techniques. The synoptic bit isn't really something you can specifically prepare for apart from general revision of the course. (I think the main difficulty is because people struggle with context, but if you know your content well it's no issue) Maybe pay particular attention to topics that haven't come up yet.
Is doing paper 1 and 2 past papers overkill or can I just read through textbooks for general revision?

I am going to revise uncertainty, practical methods and the core practicals regardless.
Reply 6
Many common topics haven’t come up too much yet, if at all.
To name a few capacitors, photoelectric effect and pretty much everything on space apart from the Doppler effect.
I can definitely see capacitors coming up. Can’t remember 1 year they didn’t.
Reply 7
Cyclotrons/linacs too
Original post by Htn_02
To name a few capacitors, photoelectric effect and pretty much everything on space apart from the Doppler effect.
Original post by Htn_02

A very accurate (most accurate for the time) value for the speed of light was apparently calculated using a capacitor in the early 20th century, (Rosa and Dorsey) apparently. More reasonably we might get the capacitor CPAC.

Off the top of my head some stuff that hasn't popped up properly yet:

Terminal velocity

LDR/Thermistor stuff

Stoke's law/upthrust/stuff (one MCQ)

Photoelectric effect. (Most of waves came up, to be fair)

As you say, capacitors (one MCQ)

Particle accelerators (absolutely zilch on paper 1)

Ideal gasses/kinetic theory

Basically all of space

SHM hardly came up on paper 2.

Reply 9
Original post by solark
Cyclotrons/linacs too

True but cyclotrons have come twice, if I’m not wrong, in these last couple of years + SAM. Linacs or even particle detectors would be welcome any day though.
Reply 10
Original post by _gcx
A very accurate (most accurate for the time) value for the speed of light was apparently calculated using a capacitor in the early 20th century, (Rosa and Dorsey) apparently. More reasonably we might get the capacitor CPAC.

Off the top of my head some stuff that hasn't popped up properly yet:

Terminal velocity

LDR/Thermistor stuff

Stoke's law/upthrust/stuff (one MCQ)

Photoelectric effect. (Most of waves came up, to be fair)

As you say, capacitors (one MCQ)

Particle accelerators (absolutely zilch on paper 1)

Ideal gasses/kinetic theory

Basically all of space

SHM hardly came up on paper 2.

Yup, can definitely see the capacitors cpac come through.
Most things that haven’t come up yet are actually not bad at all. Who knows though, it is Edexcel after all.
Original post by Htn_02
Yup, can definitely see the capacitors cpac come through.
Most things that haven’t come up yet are actually not bad at all. Who knows though, it is Edexcel after all.

Also the investigation of distance between capacitor plates and capacitance, (C = k/d) but I'm not sure if that's popped up before, definitely has on the old spec.
Original post by Htn_02
True but cyclotrons have come twice, if I’m not wrong, in these last couple of years + SAM. Linacs or even particle detectors would be welcome any day though.

Yeah, cyclotrons also came up in the Extra SAMs. Would be surprised if they didn't come up in any form though.
Reply 13
Original post by _gcx
Also the investigation of distance between capacitor plates and capacitance, (C = k/d) but I'm not sure if that's popped up before, definitely has on the old spec.

Yup that hasnt come up yet for us, not sure if it’s directly stated on the spec either but knowledge of how capacitors work is expected so could come up for sure.
Reply 14
Hey guys, here's a friendly private candidate that really really need your help, if that's possible.May I ask how are you all preparing for the third paper? For past papers, I thought unit 3 and unit 6 papers from the old spec and the two Paper 3 from 2017 and 2018 are relatively related? But I don't know whether there's still any need to do the other papers such as in Unit 1/2/4/5 or Paper 1/2 in case of preparing Paper 3?Also, for going though the practicals, do you have any suggestions on how to do that? Should I just go over the textbook (for the 'Investigation's written in purple) OR hopefully could you offer me some helpful advice?By the way, I found that there are many 'Investigation' written in the textbook in purple, but not all of them are in the specification. Are all of them the kind of practicals that I should revise for?Lastly, in case of 'Stellar evolution' (P179-181 on A2 textbook), do you guys think that's gonna come up in the third paper or how? coz that part is really my nightmare that I don't know how to get marks or how to revise for...Thank you guys so so much! Hopefully to hear from you!
Original post by IvyS
Hey guys, here's a friendly private candidate that really really need your help, if that's possible.May I ask how are you all preparing for the third paper? For past papers, I thought unit 3 and unit 6 papers from the old spec and the two Paper 3 from 2017 and 2018 are relatively related? But I don't know whether there's still any need to do the other papers such as in Unit 1/2/4/5 or Paper 1/2 in case of preparing Paper 3?Also, for going though the practicals, do you have any suggestions on how to do that? Should I just go over the textbook (for the 'Investigation's written in purple) OR hopefully could you offer me some helpful advice?By the way, I found that there are many 'Investigation' written in the textbook in purple, but not all of them are in the specification. Are all of them the kind of practicals that I should revise for?Lastly, in case of 'Stellar evolution' (P179-181 on A2 textbook), do you guys think that's gonna come up in the third paper or how? coz that part is really my nightmare that I don't know how to get marks or how to revise for...Thank you guys so so much! Hopefully to hear from you!

There are also the 3 non-live sets. (one of which is freely available on the Edexcel website) In the OP I've linked the exam board's worksheets for each practical - which you might find of use. You will get unseen practicals based on stuff you've seen before. But you will be expected to be familiar with the 16 core practicals. Also remember that paper 3 is not exclusively practical techniques - there are also synoptic questions that draw on any topic from the specification. This means that topics (as above) that haven't been covered in paper 1/2 could come up, as well as any topic that has come up already.

Edit: I think there may be a third locked set now but I don't think I'll be able to get in time for the exam.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by IvyS

Yes unit 3 and 6 seem to help with the practical element of our paper 3. I’d say obviously look at the core practicals, their methods and specially the reasons behind doing what you do. Know the knowledge behind specific key terms- error, uncertainty, accuracy, precision etc. Finding % uncertainty.
Stellar evolution can come up and is as likely to come up as anything which hasn’t on papers 1 and 2.
Good luck!
Original post by lJustSomeGuyl
Is doing paper 1 and 2 past papers overkill or can I just read through textbooks for general revision?

I am going to revise uncertainty, practical methods and the core practicals regardless.

Where/how can you revise this?
Original post by finlayed

If you want to practice questions with uncertainty - look at Q1 on unit 6 papers. Practical methods are covered here too. For core practicals you can look at the worksheets linked in the OP.
Original post by finlayed

practical methods- paper 3 past papers
uncertainty- a hand out our teacher gave us + past paper questions
core practicals- science shorts on youtube + textbook

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending