The Student Room Group

going on a gap year

im currently in year 13, the majority of my friends are going off to uni this september but i have decided to go on a gap year and im really worried I'm going to be lonely, does anyone else have this issue?
You can still meet with your friends. Even if you don't have a car use the train or bus.

But what are you planning on using the gap year for? What will you do?
Im just curious as to why people do it :smile:
Original post by kurro
You can still meet with your friends. Even if you don't have a car use the train or bus.

If it was me, I would use it to travel to distant lands that 10 years ago would have felt like beyond the realms of possibility to visit. :daydreaming:
Original post by Unexpectedly
If it was me, I would use it to travel to distant lands that 10 years ago would have felt like beyond the realms of possibility to visit. :daydreaming:

Very interesting.
I would join, too bad I'm broke. :dontknow:
Reply 4
thats true, im just going to miss them so much :frown: i want to carry on with my job and travel once ive saved up enough - a small break for fun and one hopefully volunteering/helping somehow in another country , also terrifying but exciting! (also need to start driving lessons!)
Original post by kurro

Hiiiiiiiiiiii.

I'm on a gap year atm! Well sorta .... a gap year with resits.

The start was quite lonely ngl. You will see a lot of your "friends" move on but with that being said so will you too. You'll hopefully meet some amazing people on your gap year if its planned or not. I'd recommend trying to get a job because staying inside 24/7 is not healthy.

You learn to be really happy with yourself and truly enjoy being yourself. Its a great time to learn something new or do something new. its an AMAZING chance to go travelling because imo in the future it will probably be quite hard with saving up and pursuing a good career etc. Uni is expensive AF based of what my friends are saying so save up abit for uni if you can.

There will be points however, when you just want things to move ASAP and just get to uni and truly move on though. You do deep life alot as well and as the cliche goes "figure out what you want in life" etc.

I'm doing a little bit of travelling (just me!) in the summer and I definitely would not have had the confidence to do so if it wasn't for this gap year.

With that being said although I have found this unexpected gap year OKish I have been relatively lucky. Some people I am aware of have not had the best of gap years but in my opinion that is their own fault and a chance they have just wasted. (Not talking about the TSRians who are also on a gap year if you are reading this).
There will still be friends at home, and you can still visit your friends at uni. The main thing is to be active about meeting them, don't just wait for other people to say something.

Oh, and try to save money, it'll give you a lot more freedom during university.
ITs not letting me @ the person or send a pm but Thoque I can't pm you due to your settings about how this gap year has gone etc.
Original post by Helloworld_95
There will still be friends at home, and you can still visit your friends at uni. The main thing is to be active about meeting them, don't just wait for other people to say something.

Oh, and try to save money, it'll give you a lot more freedom during university.

Including the freedom to eat out at nice but not necessarily exclusive places.
Original post by Unexpectedly
Including the freedom to eat out at nice but not necessarily exclusive places.

Or perhaps more importantly to a fresher, freedom to buy nicer booze lol
Original post by Helloworld_95
Or perhaps more importantly to a fresher, freedom to buy nicer booze lol

I generally don't drink booze. :noway:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending