The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Any mature students starting at Bristol in Sept 2019?

Hi! Thought I’d make a new discussion for all of us old farts. I’m 24 but will be 25 by September and will be studying the Liberal Arts. Has anyone decided on what uni accommodation they’re going to choose?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, Just seen your post - I am also going to be 25 and starting at Bristol in Sept! I'm going to be studying Chemistry. I haven't decided about accommodation yet, planning to look at in properly in next few days and make a decision but pretty sure I'm gonna be staying in halls and will request to stay with other mature students. What abut you?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Hey, I'm going to be 22 in September and really unsure of which accommodation to go for or if I should go private. Looks like going into mature student halls could be a good option?
Original post by meli-b
Hi! Thought I’d make a new discussion for all of us old farts. I’m 24 but will be 25 by September and will be studying the Liberal Arts. Has anyone decided on what uni accommodation they’re going to choose?
Hey, yeah I think going into mature student halls is a good option. Think that's what I'm going to do.
Original post by Theotrebacz
Hey, I'm going to be 22 in September and really unsure of which accommodation to go for or if I should go private. Looks like going into mature student halls could be a good option?
I’ll be turning 21 a few months after I start so not technically classed as a mature student but I’m still quite nervous about living with younger people as I’ve been surrounded by people 25+ in my job since I left school at 16.
I’ll be studying palaeontology and evolution and have applied for riverside as my first choice accommodation and university hall as my second choice.
I'll be starting Physics in September. I don't know where I will be staying yet. I'm older than the average student too.
Not quite Bristol but I'm 30 and starting a history BA at UWE in September. I've applied for accommodation in and around frenchay but I'll probably only accept it if they can house me with other old farts :biggrin:

Depending on how that works out I may or may not be looking for private accommodation.
Reply 7
I'm 25 starting my msc on Biomedical sciences research in September. any advice on accommodation?
Reply 8
HI! I'm 22, starting my undergrad degree. I'm applying for mature student accommodation in halls, probably Hiatt Baker or Riverside, how about everyone else?
Hi! I'm doing the same - think I'm going to put Hiatt Baker first and Riverside second. What are you studying?
Original post by HI2019
HI! I'm 22, starting my undergrad degree. I'm applying for mature student accommodation in halls, probably Hiatt Baker or Riverside, how about everyone else?
Reply 10
Oh cool! are you going for self-catered flats/townhouses or catered? I went for self-catered. Hopefully will get my grades for Politics and Philosophy.
Original post by Violinmad
Hi! I'm doing the same - think I'm going to put Hiatt Baker first and Riverside second. What are you studying?
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm an older fart than you at 41. Don't feel it though...Will be starting Bristol university this Sept, studying BSc Biology, though enquiring about options (if possible) to change over to Biochem. ANyway hi! :biggrin:
Original post by HI2019
Oh cool! are you going for self-catered flats/townhouses or catered? I went for self-catered. Hopefully will get my grades for Politics and Philosophy.
Hi! I'll be 22, studying LLB. I can't decide between the halls too. It seems like there is at least one grim story for every hall about people dropping out of uni or getting depressed because of how filthy/badly localized/lonely the hall they lived in was. I'm thinking about Manor, although it's self-catered so I have doubts.
Original post by meli-b
Are there "mature student halls"? I checked all the halls' pages and there's not a single one meant specifically for mature students.
Hey, yeah I think going into mature student halls is a good option. Think that's what I'm going to do.
Reply 14
Hey! Yeah you're right there aren't any Halls purely for mature student's but on your accommodation application, you can select the 'mature student' option, from there you'll get to choose from the select Halls that will try to place you with other mature student's who have also chosen that option. The flats are within the normal halls so you're not segregated. These Halls are Hiatt Baker catered and non-catered, Riverside, Orchard Heights and Winkworth House.

I also liked Manor, but in the end, I decided I'd prefer to be with those closest to my age. I hope that helps!
Original post by ketang.gnatek
Are there "mature student halls"? I checked all the halls' pages and there's not a single one meant specifically for mature students.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm going for self catered too! Did you put Hiatt Baker as first choice? Excited!
Original post by HI2019
Reply 16
Awesome. Yeah, I did! Me too :smile:
I'm going for self catered too! Did you put Hiatt Baker as first choice? Excited!
I was planning to put Riverside as my second option but when I went to do this the only option available was studio not standard room. Did this happen for you too? If so what did you do?
Original post by HI2019
Awesome. Yeah, I did! Me too :smile:
Has everyone else applied for accomodation yet and if so what did you apply for?
Reply 19
That is weird. Naaa, I didn't go with Riverside in the end. I went with Winkworth so I'm not sure. What did you end up doing?
I was planning to put Riverside as my second option but when I went to do this the only option available was studio not standard room. Did this happen for you too? If so what did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending