The Student Room Group

Need financial help, given extra UC instead of PIP

So I got a letter saying I've been awarded extra universal credit, which is great! However, if I'm going to be starting university in September I need my benefits to continue or I'm not going to be able to afford to live as I'm living on campus and only qualify for the smallest maintenance loan which doesn't even cover all my fees for living on site (parents can cover the few hundred extra but nothing else)

So although I'll have food for weekdays I won't on weekends and won't have any money for non prescription meds (Dr's won't give me imodium, neurofen meltlets or compression stockings due to funding cuts) , clothes or literally anything else.

Any suggestions are appreciated but specifically looking to see why they would just boost my UC instead of giving me Pip.
Original post by Harrisboi
So I got a letter saying I've been awarded extra universal credit, which is great! However, if I'm going to be starting university in September I need my benefits to continue or I'm not going to be able to afford to live as I'm living on campus and only qualify for the smallest maintenance loan which doesn't even cover all my fees for living on site (parents can cover the few hundred extra but nothing else)

So although I'll have food for weekdays I won't on weekends and won't have any money for non prescription meds (Dr's won't give me imodium, neurofen meltlets or compression stockings due to funding cuts) , clothes or literally anything else.

Any suggestions are appreciated but specifically looking to see why they would just boost my UC instead of giving me Pip.

Have long have you claimed UC for, if its long enough then you might be considered an independent student and would then get a higher loan. Have you applied for pip directly? what was the result?
Reply 2
I've been claiming pip for over a year now. I have applied for pip directly and they chose to just add to my universal credit.
I still live with my parents which is why I couldn't apply for anything but the most basic maintenance loan
Original post by claireestelle
Have long have you claimed UC for, if its long enough then you might be considered an independent student and would then get a higher loan. Have you applied for pip directly? what was the result?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending