The Student Room Group

English language :(

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure if anyone's said this but Mr Bruff and Mr Salles' videos are absolutely great! Oh and this thread is actually so useful - especially that 'cheating' technique @rockyball89 :biggrin:
Thanks, people think its a bit concerning even though I don't read books. They can't really say anything, I did my GCSE's in year 10, 11 and now in year 12. When it comes to Question 5 paper 1 I get 33/40, however, I do the same just change it. They can't say anything unless the same student has copied you. Why don't you write something creative and get someone to review it for you? Like your friends, teachers, peers or even use TSR
Original post by angrybear247
i have a question.. wouldn't they be a be able to tell that some of the writing is not your own.. have you ever been caught??
(Original post by rockyball89)So do I. What I do is I "Cheat" on descriptive writing. All I do is revise all the emotions e.g. scared, happy, curious etc, I revise a story plot and get it marked and use lots of language devices and punctuation and get it marked by my teacher. I can't think creatively so what I do is I google story about someone that is scared etc. and I copy it and revise the language and it has been working I got 36/40 by doing this before I was getting 20/40. Try it and it works wonders :smile:
a man called mr bruff
He does not always help - I mean Mr.Bruff
you know you can be prosecuted for that
Original post by fizzy2007
He does not always help - I mean Mr.Bruff
Moved to English
Original post by rockyball89
I don't mean to sound rude or boastful but english is simple & I'll show you how

Lets say the question is how does the writer describe the storm

And the text says things like the storm whipped Alex face, and pierced through the clouds

Your analysis could be something like this: The writer uses the personification "whipped" to describe the storm as violent and aggressive. This is because, the adjective "whipped" is normally associated with pain, punishment and domestic abuse and this could show how barbaric and sinister the storm is to alex and clearly shows how dangerous it is for him. This is heightened by the writer because he also uses other violent adjectives such as "pierced" and this creates an unsettling atmosphere by evoking terror . As a reader, the choice of words chosen by the writer evokes a feeling of melancholy and depression because, the words highlight the perpetual suffering Alex is going through.

In English I managed to get an 8 (3 marks from 9) last year, so if you need more help message me

hello can you help me with any English language structure techniques for q2 ,3 or 4 please and thank you
also the structure you used is it peel or something ?
Original post by jahedali
hello can you help me with any English language structure techniques for q2 ,3 or 4 please and thank you

I don't mean to sound rude or boastful but english is simple & I'll show you how

Lets say the question is how does the writer describe the storm

And the text says things like the storm whipped Alex face, and pierced through the clouds

Your analysis could be something like this: The writer uses the personification "whipped" to describe the storm as violent and aggressive. This is because, the adjective "whipped" is normally associated with pain, punishment and domestic abuse and this could show how barbaric and sinister the storm is to alex and clearly shows how dangerous it is for him. This is heightened by the writer because he also uses other violent adjectives such as "pierced" and this creates an unsettling atmosphere by evoking terror . As a reader, the choice of words chosen by the writer evokes a feeling of melancholy and depression because, the words highlight the perpetual suffering Alex is going through.

In English I managed to get an 8 (3 marks from 9) last year, so if you need more help message me
Original post by realistorange
you know you can be prosecuted for that

I'm just saying as people have different ways of revising. Mr.Bruff is a good person to use, but he might not be the best person out there for someone else.
how do you lot answer question 5 on paper 2 ?? like the persuasive writing always get low marks on that ://
We use AFOREST at my school its just a reminder on what to put:
A-anecdote/Analogy/Audience
F-Figures/facts
O-opinions
R-rhetorical question (Don't put more than 2, 2 is a still a push)
E-emotive language
S-statistics
T-one (formal,semi-formal)

Also TAP the question:
T-type
A-audience
P-purpose

If you're struggling really badly I'd say make plans on how to write letters, speeches, articles and the type of language you need to use. For example letters, you need to end with yours faithfully/sincerely and with articles, you need to use facts to be credible and with speeches, you need emotive/persuasive language. I find Mr.Salles videos very helpful.

how do you lot answer question 5 on paper 2 ?? like the persuasive writing always get low marks on that ://
yess that is really helpful thank youuuu !!! if used correctly will it give me more than half marks???
Original post by syllie19
We use AFOREST at my school its just a reminder on what to put:
A-anecdote/Analogy/Audience
F-Figures/facts
O-opinions
R-rhetorical question (Don't put more than 2, 2 is a still a push)
E-emotive language
S-statistics
T-one (formal,semi-formal)

Also TAP the question:
T-type
A-audience
P-purpose

If you're struggling really badly I'd say make plans on how to write letters, speeches, articles and the type of language you need to use. For example letters, you need to end with yours faithfully/sincerely and with articles, you need to use facts to be credible and with speeches, you need emotive/persuasive language. I find Mr.Salles videos very helpful.
I'm pretty sure you will but my teacher also says not to make your writing sound robotic by forcing in all those techniques so just try your best to make it sound natural

Also, PLAN before you start writing because I think Q5 is the question where you can easily get marks so if you're not confident about the rest of the paper this might be your last chance. Have at least 5 ideas to talk about and sequence them wisely for effect for where you want impact (e.g putting your most emotive point at the end?). Also if you're on AQA my teacher says your plan can get you marks so make sure it's clear.
yess that is really helpful thank youuuu !!! if used correctly will it give me more than half marks???
oh really!! i didn't know plans can contribute towards marks thats great!! thank youuuu yeah i fear my writing sounds a bit robotic ill practise it until it hopefully comes naturally, thank you for all your help :smile: good luck in all you exams!
Original post by syllie19
I'm pretty sure you will but my teacher also says not to make your writing sound robotic by forcing in all those techniques so just try your best to make it sound natural

Also, PLAN before you start writing because I think Q5 is the question where you can easily get marks so if you're not confident about the rest of the paper this might be your last chance. Have at least 5 ideas to talk about and sequence them wisely for effect for where you want impact (e.g putting your most emotive point at the end?). Also if you're on AQA my teacher says your plan can get you marks so make sure it's clear.
Reply 34
how how how how do you revise for english language are there any good you tubers that you lot can recommend ?? I'm really struggling with language i barely scraped a 4 and i need a 6 to do econ at a levels :frown:

how how how how do you revise for english language are there any good you tubers that you lot can recommend ?? I'm really struggling with language i barely scraped a 4 and i need a 6 to do econ at a levels :frown:

Hey I’m now doing English language a level and I found that the best way is to revise basics. Basically in gcse you get marks just for pointing out techniques and stuff so just pointing out that a sentence has a verb will get you a mark. For example every sentence will have at least a noun and a verb, when you’re going into your analysis simply say “the material verb ... and then go onto the point you were going to make. Again making sure you can point out techniques like juxtaposition and similes and stuff instantly makes your life easier. Mr bruff on yt helped me a lot with English last year :smile:
Your best bet is doing individual questions under exam conditions and going over them with w teacher/ getting them to mark it. For structural questions aswell focus on the change of viewpoint through the text so if he starts of talking about the characters then goes on to talk about the setting etc :smile:
Sorry this is rambling but your best bet is past papers I believe :smile: good luck with your exams
yesss i need to go over verbs and stuff like that :smile: thank you for your advice !! good luck for your a-levels :h:
Original post by Hrosec
Hey I’m now doing English language a level and I found that the best way is to revise basics. Basically in gcse you get marks just for pointing out techniques and stuff so just pointing out that a sentence has a verb will get you a mark. For example every sentence will have at least a noun and a verb, when you’re going into your analysis simply say “the material verb ... and then go onto the point you were going to make. Again making sure you can point out techniques like juxtaposition and similes and stuff instantly makes your life easier. Mr bruff on yt helped me a lot with English last year :smile:
Your best bet is doing individual questions under exam conditions and going over them with w teacher/ getting them to mark it. For structural questions aswell focus on the change of viewpoint through the text so if he starts of talking about the characters then goes on to talk about the setting etc :smile:
Sorry this is rambling but your best bet is past papers I believe :smile: good luck with your exams
Original post by Hrosec
“the material verb ...

Very few will delve deeper into word classes at GCSE level. I thought that I would point this out.
So do I. What I do is I "Cheat" on descriptive writing. All I do is revise all the emotions e.g. scared, happy, curious etc, I revise a story plot and get it marked and use lots of language devices and punctuation and get it marked by my teacher. I can't think creatively so what I do is I google story about someone that is scared etc. and I copy it and revise the language and it has been working I got 36/40 by doing this before I was getting 20/40. Try it and it works wonders :smile:

Original post by fizzy2007
Thanks, people think its a bit concerning even though I don't read books. They can't really say anything, I did my GCSE's in year 10, 11 and now in year 12. When it comes to Question 5 paper 1 I get 33/40, however, I do the same just change it. They can't say anything unless the same student has copied you. Why don't you write something creative and get someone to review it for you? Like your friends, teachers, peers or even use TSR

Wow, this is really sad. It's one way to do it, I guess. I can't believe how dead the creativity is here. :s-smilie:
Lmao, who really has the time to read books everyday? Revising a creative story and getting it marked is the way to go :smile: lol :smile:
Original post by Tolgarda
Wow, this is really sad. It's one way to do it, I guess. I can't believe how dead the creativity is here. :s-smilie:
some of us aren't naturally creative :/ i wish i was though

Original post by Tolgarda

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending