The Student Room Group

am I cold hearted?!

my mother's father (my grandfather) died a week ago. he was a very good man. the whole family is shook by this

all my family members in Morocco are crying their eyes out, meanwhile I live in Europe and I haven't cried even 1 tear

in fact, not only are all my family members crying for him, but friends and neighbours too

even people that didn't know my grandfather are crying for him. he was a special man indeed

I barely even care. it didn't affect me

I forgot about it quickly. but the rest of my family will never forget him. he was a very good man, everyone loved him

my mother travelled to Morocco when he was still alive, he was very ill. she went there to take a final goodbye with him and bury him together with her mother (my grandmother), siblings (my uncles and aunts), nieces and nephews (my cousins) etc. but she is back in Europe now

I haven't expressed any condolences to her over what happened. when she came back from Morocco, I didn't even greet her. I haven't expressed/sent condolences to anyone in my family. I never speak with my family

am I a cold hearted man?
Reply 1
am I pure evil?!
No, however you respond to the death is completely normal.
People grieve in different ways- maybe it's not hit you yet, maybe it's your coping mechanism
It sounds like you weren't overly close though and that may be why you aren't as bothered. If I heard a distant relative of mine had died I'd be like oh that's sad and then move on- I wouldn't be bawling my eyes out
Maybe he doesn't speak English and you don't speak his language(s) fluently? That was the case with my grandmother (mother's mother). Once she died I felt nothing.
If it's any consolation, nope, not as cold hearted as Meursault
Did you ever see him much / at all / talk much to him? :holmes:
no you're not. i never cried for most of my family members who have passed away either. no matter how well we got on, if i didn't love or feel close/dependant on them then i would never cry for them. i'd feel a little sad if i liked them... but i'd get over it pretty quickly. it doesn't make you evil at all, thats just dumb.
Reply 7
Original post by xNoHope
my mother's father (my grandfather) died a week ago. he was a very good man. the whole family is shook by this

all my family members in Morocco are crying their eyes out, meanwhile I live in Europe and I haven't cried even 1 tear

in fact, not only are all my family members crying for him, but friends and neighbours too

even people that didn't know my grandfather are crying for him. he was a special man indeed

I barely even care. it didn't affect me

I forgot about it quickly. but the rest of my family will never forget him. he was a very good man, everyone loved him

my mother travelled to Morocco when he was still alive, he was very ill. she went there to take a final goodbye with him and bury him together with her mother (my grandmother), siblings (my uncles and aunts), nieces and nephews (my cousins) etc. but she is back in Europe now

I haven't expressed any condolences to her over what happened. when she came back from Morocco, I didn't even greet her. I haven't expressed/sent condolences to anyone in my family. I never speak with my family

am I a cold hearted man?

I dont think you are cold hearted

Latest