The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Civil Eng w/ Construction Management

Has anyone here done this degree/is doing it?

I am interested in a Construction Management degree, but seeing as Leeds offers a 'with civil engineering' part to it, it sounds like a great path to follow. Many units incorporated in a civil engineering degree seem really appealing to where I want to be in life.

Only problem is, my maths is not so strong - and since the degree is counted as an engineering course, i thought I'd ask around...

How much maths is involved in this degree and is the maths difficult? I can put up with basic stuff and algebra, but if it moves into advanced calculus I think I may struggle... :frown:
My cousin Kailash studied this degree and regretted in.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Why did he regret it?
Because he could only find a job as a pipe welder when he graduated. Now he is a mere shell of a man.
Reply 4
JDon
Has anyone here done this degree/is doing it?

I am interested in a Construction Management degree, but seeing as Leeds offers a 'with civil engineering' part to it, it sounds like a great path to follow. Many units incorporated in a civil engineering degree seem really appealing to where I want to be in life.

Only problem is, my maths is not so strong - and since the degree is counted as an engineering course, i thought I'd ask around...

How much maths is involved in this degree and is the maths difficult? I can put up with basic stuff and algebra, but if it moves into advanced calculus I think I may struggle... :frown:

I know someone who does this, he complains about the amount of maths they do, and laughs at how easy the stuff is I have to do, and I find mine quite challenging at times. The University offered us extra help if we needed it, I can't remember where it was but I'm sure you'd get the same offer. I wouldn't let it put you off if you're really interested though cos maths is always doable, you just have to work at it.

Oh and the maths we did which was similar to my mates was all about stress and strain in structures, so it wasn't actually the maths that was the problem, once you've worked out the numbers it was easy, it's just trying to work out what number you need if that makes any sense at all?!
Reply 5
Haha ok cool, thats interesting, I was kind of aware there would be alot of maths, it that is probably the only thing that really puts me off...but I think if it is related to actual structures I will be motivated to work on it and do well.

Just curious, what was the degree you did?
Reply 6
JDon
Haha ok cool, thats interesting, I was kind of aware there would be alot of maths, it that is probably the only thing that really puts me off...but I think if it is related to actual structures I will be motivated to work on it and do well.

Just curious, what was the degree you did?

I do Product Design. No idea why I had to do Civil Engineering modules :s-smilie:

Latest