The Student Room Group

Dyspraxia - what can DSA give me?

I was wondering what equipment people have been provided with for dyspraxia, I also have key characteristics of dyslexia.
Original post by s.aureus
I was wondering what equipment people have been provided with for dyspraxia, I also have key characteristics of dyslexia.

hey, I'm dyspraxic and dyslexic. At uni I got offered a laptop (but had my own so I got the software put on that), text to speech software, speech to text software, a dictaphone and mindmapping software and a software where I could put the audio against powerpoint slides. I also got offered overlays but they don't help me. Then I had an hour a week with a study support tutor, she helped me with planning my work and proofreading, that is quite personal she could have also helped me with things like learning spellings or exam technique but i cope well with that. I also had 25% extra time and pc use and as typing for a while can be uncomfortable, i got offered rest breaks but didn't need to use them.
I d say take everything that the needs assessor suggests, try it all out and if you decide not to use it all then you know you're using what works for you.

If you have any questions whatsoever about studying at uni with dyslexia and dyspraxia, then i m always happy to help :smile:
If you don't mind me asking being both dyspraxic and dyslexic myself, how bad are you, how do you find keeping up with other students, and how did you find the jump between A-Levels and Uni?
Original post by Mia Charlotte
If you don't mind me asking being both dyspraxic and dyslexic myself, how bad are you, how do you find keeping up with other students, and how did you find the jump between A-Levels and Uni?

Sorry I completely missed this, I don't know how to say bad, I suppose I m on the milder end of the spectrum. I couldn't do things like an essay the night before like other students but I kept up okay. I did horrendously in a levels but found the jump no problem as I had proper support for the first time so once I got the hang of the first two essays I got 2:1s after that.
Thank you I've been worrying about the jump and being able to keep on top of work.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Sorry I completely missed this, I don't know how to say bad, I suppose I m on the milder end of the spectrum. I couldn't do things like an essay the night before like other students but I kept up okay. I did horrendously in a levels but found the jump no problem as I had proper support for the first time so once I got the hang of the first two essays I got 2:1s after that.

@Mia Charlotte
Yeah i completely agree too, GCSES I found fine and actually got As and A*s, the jump from GCSES to A levels though was the hardest ever and I ended up barely passing anything with CCD - maths bio chem, it was honestly because if the fact I had 0 support, i was revising every day for atleast 6 hours after school, and on weekends 12 hiurs a day, that's just because i had to otherwise i wouldn't retain any information. none of my teachers knew i was dyslexic/ dyslexic or if they did, they never acknowledged it and when I did ask for extra help theyd just ignore it, but everyone has told be CCD in such sciency a levels is really good, but meh atleast I passed. But a levels to uni was honestly not bad st all, most if not all unis have a super nice disability team, you usually have your own disability advisor that you see each time etc, my uni als9 have an adjustment plan in place for me so for example if i am running late for a deadline it allows me to get an extension wheneve4, which is very useful, I'm not one to do deadlines last minute -would be very messy, but it's just the assurance that if i was to do that, i could always just ask for an extension etc. My DSA equipment hasnt arrived yet but im sure that will be extremely useful, the past year have just been using pen and paper which obvs it fine but a laptop will jusy allow me to keep up in lectures rather than always being 3/4 slides behind everyone.

You will be fine! You'll be in safe hands, if you ever need someoen to talk to about it then dont be afraid to drop a PM!
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you. My GCSEs weren’t all that good a mix of A’s B’s and C’s now I’m struggling through my Alevels just hoping for C’s and D’s. Most my actual teachers have been great help but my school it’s self has been awful to the point they ignored my official diagnosis I paid £400 for by an assessor recommended to me by my local uni. I have also just had an ordeal with DSA where my assessor didn’t know what she was doing and my needs meeting had to be redone by someone way more helpful over the phone. All the set backs and the fact I’m not the smartest is just making me really nervous for uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending