The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Is Derwent really that bad for accomodation?

Hey there, so a few months ago I sent my accomodation application with Derwent as #1 choice and Langwith as #2, but I've read a lot of posts around here saying Derwent is by far the worst college etc. I'm aware it has more of a party atmosphere, and tbh I'm not the biggest party person myself, but I just didn't know what else to apply for.

So, I'd just like to ask if it's really that bad, and if so, is it too late for me to change my choices and still have a good chance at getting decent accomodation?

Thank you!
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

University of York
York
Original post by Salieri
Hey there, so a few months ago I sent my accomodation application with Derwent as #1 choice and Langwith as #2, but I've read a lot of posts around here saying Derwent is by far the worst college etc. I'm aware it has more of a party atmosphere, and tbh I'm not the biggest party person myself, but I just didn't know what else to apply for.

So, I'd just like to ask if it's really that bad, and if so, is it too late for me to change my choices and still have a good chance at getting decent accomodation?

Thank you!

Derwent is one of the original colleges so the accommodation is in some of the oldest blocks, which does mean it’s not always the best. However, I would say that the quality is no worse than in the older James and Vanbrugh blocks for example. The Hes East colleges were quite a bit nicer but that’s just because they’re newer. Derwent is getting quite a lot of renovation atm too so it’s definitely improving. Essentially, it’s just luck whether you end up in an older block or not, but that will be the same across all the West colleges. I loved my time in Derwent and was luckily in one of the newer blocks. It’s really up to you!

I do believe that you retain your original place in the accommodation ‘queue’ so to speak if you change your choices, although may be worth emailing accommodation just to check

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending