The Student Room Group

Statistics

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 19.29.32.png

I know how to do these questions, I was just wondering that I might have mixed some stuff up here:

The expected value of the statistic we are trying to find in part (a) is E(X1 + X2 + X3 + X4) = E(X1) + E(X2) + E(X3) + E(X4) = 4E(X).

The expected value of X-bar, is E(X) by definition since they are assumed to be independent and identically distributed random variables in a sample. So, is it correct to say E(X-bar) = 0.2 and E(sum in part(a)) = 0.8 because E(X) = 0.2 because the probability parameter is = 0.2 which is also the expected value of the random variable!

Thank you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Chittesh14
Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 19.29.32.png

I know how to do these questions, I was just wondering that I might have mixed some stuff up here:

Just to be clear - the given question has nothing to do with expectation.

The expected value of the statistic we are trying to find in part (a) is E(X1 + X2 + X3 + X4) = E(X1) + E(X2) + E(X3) + E(X4) = 4E(X).

Yes.

The expected value of X-bar, is E(X) by definition since they are assumed to be independent and identically distributed random variables in a sample. So, is it correct to say E(X-bar) = 0.2 and E(sum in part(a)) = 0.8 because E(X) = 0.2 because the probability parameter is = 0.2 which is also the expected value of the random variable!

Thank you!

Yes, though I'm not clear which "random variable" you're refering to at the end and how it differs, if at all, from what you've said already.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Just to be clear - the given question has nothing to do with expectation.

Yes.

Yes, though I'm not clear which "random variable" you're refering to at the end and how it differs, if at all, from what you've said already.

No problem, thank you so much! I think I was confusing some stuff and you seem to have confirmed that I am clear on that lol! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest