The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loan Options

Hey, I'm an Irish Civil Engineering Graduate planning on starting postgraduate studies. Initially, funding was not a problem as I have taken up Summer work to help with the fees and my parents offered to help out on what was left.
Circumstances changed and my parents have done a complete U-turn on their promise, letting the ~£20,000 living/fee costs rest entirely on my shoulders. I'm 22 years old and I just finished my final undergraduate exams less than 2 weeks ago, I will not be able to solely fund this by myself.
I've looking into options such as a student loan but it seems I'd only be entitled to £5,500, that, plus the £5,000 I obtain from work would barely cover half of the initial costs, irrespective of hidden fees associated with postgraduate life.
Are there any sort of larger loan options available for non-UK students (as I am an Irish citizen) or any other means of paying for my postgraduate degree? It's extremely difficult to find any sort of support for a person in my situation, I'm poor, yet my parents are not and they refuse to give any sort of financial assistance despite having given it to my other sibling just a few months ago.
I'm unsure what to do and would be very grateful for any sort of links to other funding opportunities that may be available for me.
The Postgraduate Master's Loan from Student Finance England is £10906. I think you'd meet their eligibility criteria:
https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/what-youll-get
Original post by Shakilrahman96
Hey, I'm an Irish Civil Engineering Graduate planning on starting postgraduate studies. Initially, funding was not a problem as I have taken up Summer work to help with the fees and my parents offered to help out on what was left.
Circumstances changed and my parents have done a complete U-turn on their promise, letting the ~£20,000 living/fee costs rest entirely on my shoulders. I'm 22 years old and I just finished my final undergraduate exams less than 2 weeks ago, I will not be able to solely fund this by myself.
I've looking into options such as a student loan but it seems I'd only be entitled to £5,500, that, plus the £5,000 I obtain from work would barely cover half of the initial costs, irrespective of hidden fees associated with postgraduate life.
Are there any sort of larger loan options available for non-UK students (as I am an Irish citizen) or any other means of paying for my postgraduate degree? It's extremely difficult to find any sort of support for a person in my situation, I'm poor, yet my parents are not and they refuse to give any sort of financial assistance despite having given it to my other sibling just a few months ago.
I'm unsure what to do and would be very grateful for any sort of links to other funding opportunities that may be available for me.

Investigate what government (Student Finance) funding is available to you - depending on where you want to study in the UK, you may be entitled to a postgraduate loan and/or grant. These are usually non-income assessed (but make sure you check each individual loan's criteria).

Other than that and university-specific grants, most people work for a few years before pursuing a master's in order to save up and cover their living costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending