The Student Room Group

Loans for English students studying in Scotland

I have applied for a student loan for the University of Edinburgh starting in 2023. I currently live in England and have applied for this loan through SFE. I am aware that a bachelors degree in Scotland is 4 years, a
opposed to an English University’s 3 years, and therefore a masters degree is 5 years in Scotland.

If I decide to do a masters degree after my 4 year bachelors degree, what will be the situation regarding loans and student finance?
Original post by marisasm
I have applied for a student loan for the University of Edinburgh starting in 2023. I currently live in England and have applied for this loan through SFE. I am aware that a bachelors degree in Scotland is 4 years, a
opposed to an English University’s 3 years, and therefore a masters degree is 5 years in Scotland.

If I decide to do a masters degree after my 4 year bachelors degree, what will be the situation regarding loans and student finance?

Hi there,

If you're looking to study Postgraduate Master's course then as long as you don't already hold a Postgraduate Master's qualification, you should be able to apply for finance. You can find more details on Postgraduate Master's funding here https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

If you're looking to study Postgraduate Master's course then as long as you don't already hold a Postgraduate Master's qualification, you should be able to apply for finance. You can find more details on Postgraduate Master's funding here https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan

Thanks,
Claire

Hi,

thank you for the reply.
What would be the case if it was an integrated master’s, so still technically an undergraduate course?

thanks,
Marisa
Original post by marisasm
Hi,

thank you for the reply.
What would be the case if it was an integrated master’s, so still technically an undergraduate course?

thanks,
Marisa

Hi there, if it is an integrated masters this is classed as your course duration so you would be funded for this. Thanks, Karen
Reply 4
I am just applying for a loan from SFE to study for a Masters at Queen Margaret's University in Edinburgh. The loan will nearly cover the course fees but it's going to be a struggle to pay my additional travel and accomodation expenses. Does anyone know where I can apply for any other funding? I know the univeristy has a hardship fund but students can only access this once they have started the course.

Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Chris Minns
I am just applying for a loan from SFE to study for a Masters at Queen Margaret's University in Edinburgh. The loan will nearly cover the course fees but it's going to be a struggle to pay my additional travel and accomodation expenses. Does anyone know where I can apply for any other funding? I know the univeristy has a hardship fund but students can only access this once they have started the course.

Hi Chris,

We can only comment on our own finance, so we would suggest speaking to the university money adviser's to see if they know of alternative funding options.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending