The Student Room Group

Tips for A level Maths

Scroll to see replies

Hi (don’t mean to intrude - tried to make own thread but wouldn’t allow me) I’m doing a past paper for practice for tomorrow’s exam - C3 CCEA A2 maths - and I was wondering if anyone is good a drawing graphs (specifically trig)

Came across a question (June 2015 q7) and I’ve absolutely no clue how they get these graphs

I can draw normal sin, cos and tan graphs but this is like y = |tan(Q/2)| ~ basically the modulus as well which is also throwing me off because I was sick when we learn that and my teacher never bothered trying to do it with me

Anybody who can show/tell me how to figure out these sorta graphs (similar ones are like sin2x graphs etc) would be appreciated thanks!!
Original post by Letmesleep
Hi (don’t mean to intrude - tried to make own thread but wouldn’t allow me) I’m doing a past paper for practice for tomorrow’s exam - C3 CCEA A2 maths - and I was wondering if anyone is good a drawing graphs (specifically trig)

Came across a question (June 2015 q7) and I’ve absolutely no clue how they get these graphs

I can draw normal sin, cos and tan graphs but this is like y = |tan(Q/2)| ~ basically the modulus as well which is also throwing me off because I was sick when we learn that and my teacher never bothered trying to do it with me

Anybody who can show/tell me how to figure out these sorta graphs (similar ones are like sin2x graphs etc) would be appreciated thanks!!

If your having difficulties, apply the transformations separately. So tan(q/2) would be a stretch of scale factor 2 in x direction. Then modulus would result in no negative y values.

If you own a graphical calculator you could just draw it on that. There are probably websites that allow you to draw graphs so you could use those to get practice
Original post by Chinemerem1
If your having difficulties, apply the transformations separately. So tan(q/2) would be a stretch of scale factor 2 in x direction. Then modulus would result in no negative y values.

If you own a graphical calculator you could just draw it on that. There are probably websites that allow you to draw graphs so you could use those to get practice

Thank you 😊 when you say stretch of scale factor 2, do you mean kind of times x vals by 2?
Also with modulus sometimes idk which axis it’s reflected on, because for some things it seems to change (??) - though I have a feeling it’s reflected on x axis for this question

Sadly I don’t have a graphical calculator, I think I should get one lol
Thank you - I’m going to focus on graphs especially tonight just so I feel bit better about them
Yes, I mean multiply x values by 2.
Original post by Letmesleep
Thank you 😊 when you say stretch of scale factor 2, do you mean kind of times x vals by 2?
Also with modulus sometimes idk which axis it’s reflected on, because for some things it seems to change (??) - though I have a feeling it’s reflected on x axis for this question

Sadly I don’t have a graphical calculator, I think I should get one lol
Thank you - I’m going to focus on graphs especially tonight just so I feel bit better about them
Original post by Chinemerem1
Yes, I mean multiply x values by 2.

Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest