The Student Room Group

Got an E in my maths mock, Advice?

I'm currently in year 13 and I just received an E in my maths mock. How the hell do I turn it around over the next 6 months? any revision tips are welcome as what I'm doing at the moment isn't working, I don't even have to worry about my other two subjects as I got an A* in both.

I just feel helpless and the time pressure certainly isn't helping.
Original post by wertwertyui
I'm currently in year 13 and I just received an E in my maths mock. How the hell do I turn it around over the next 6 months? any revision tips are welcome as what I'm doing at the moment isn't working, I don't even have to worry about my other two subjects as I got an A* in both.

Hi @wertwertyui

Although I didn't study maths A level, I was in the exact same situation when I was studying A Level German. My other subjects were great, but nothing with German seemed to stick! So I know how you feel.

You might be glad to know that I turned my E's into an A with German, so hopefully you can do the same with Maths!

My focus on revision changed when I was noticing I wasn't improving the way I wanted to. I prioritized German above my other subjects, but still kept them running along in the background so I didn't compromise them too.

One of best revision tips is to do short bursts of revision in the format of - content, practice, test.

So, I would learn some new or existing content, simply reading through it, or making notes - this could be a topic in a textbook, for example. Then I would take what I had looked at and practice. For me that was maybe writing some sentences in German using new vocab, but for you, this could be some working examples - maybe there's a YouTube video explaining a particular question and you can follow along. Then, I would take a 10 minute break, and when I would come back, I would have a go at answering some past exam questions where I had access to the mark scheme or could get someone to mark it for me, and put into practice what I had learnt. I was covering whole topics in about 1 hour/90 mins and I actually felt like had accomplished something, and not just stared at the textbook for hours.

Maybe this can help you out too? But my best advice for revision is little and often, as focused shorter bursts of revision are much more effective than long, boring ones.

Best of luck with your a levels!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by wertwertyui

Are you taking A-Level Edexcel Pearson Maths?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888
Are you taking A-Level Edexcel Pearson Maths?

Yeah, my only saving grace is mechanics
i feel like its not revision you need, you might need to learn stuff all over again from scratch

Quick Reply

Latest