The Student Room Group

MSc: 'Pure Mathematics' or 'Mathematics and Finance' ?

I'm looking to apply for a masters degree starting this September. I need help in deciding which course to pick between pure mathematics or mathematics and finance. I'm looking for any advice or input from anyone, but in particular, if there are any employers reading, I would really like to hear from you.

I graduated in 2016 with a mathematics degree (missed a first by <1%) and have been unable to find employment since. I have given up on life, but still seek to do things that I can get some sort of enjoyment from that might progress me in some way.

I have applied to a range of jobs from postman to junior analyst and not got a single one, but I have had plenty of experience being treated like crap from employers and recruiters. Some of my interests are mathematics, problem solving, probability, risk, investments, strategy, management, and decision making. So far I feel more interested in the modules from the pure mathematics course, such as probability, number theory, mathematical logic and algebra, but I feel like employers would look at pure mathematics and think 'he is a boring nerd who can do maths but has no useful skills'.

If you have anything to say that might help me make my decision, please let me know, but here are some questions I would also be interested in reading your answer to:

1) Which course would give me the highest chances of getting a job? (overall and just in general)

2) Which qualification would look better on my CV, stand out and give me the highest chances for being selected? (in general)

3) Which industries/jobs do you think each degree would help me get into?

4) Is it worth me spending 1 year and £30k+ on such a degree, given my gap since graduating. Should I just give up?

I'll add more questions later when I think of them, I just want to post this out here ASAP, because I need to make a decision ASAP.

These questions are just to stimulate some more response, but if you have anything else to say then please share it.
Reply 1
Original post by DavidJES
I'm looking to apply for a masters degree starting this September. I need help in deciding which course to pick between pure mathematics or mathematics and finance. I'm looking for any advice or input from anyone, but in particular, if there are any employers reading, I would really like to hear from you.

I graduated in 2016 with a mathematics degree (missed a first by <1%) and have been unable to find employment since. I have given up on life, but still seek to do things that I can get some sort of enjoyment from that might progress me in some way.

I have applied to a range of jobs from postman to junior analyst and not got a single one, but I have had plenty of experience being treated like crap from employers and recruiters. Some of my interests are mathematics, problem solving, probability, risk, investments, strategy, management, and decision making. So far I feel more interested in the modules from the pure mathematics course, such as probability, number theory, mathematical logic and algebra, but I feel like employers would look at pure mathematics and think 'he is a boring nerd who can do maths but has no useful skills'.

If you have anything to say that might help me make my decision, please let me know, but here are some questions I would also be interested in reading your answer to:

1) Which course would give me the highest chances of getting a job? (overall and just in general)

2) Which qualification would look better on my CV, stand out and give me the highest chances for being selected? (in general)

3) Which industries/jobs do you think each degree would help me get into?

4) Is it worth me spending 1 year and £30k+ on such a degree, given my gap since graduating. Should I just give up?

I'll add more questions later when I think of them, I just want to post this out here ASAP, because I need to make a decision ASAP.

These questions are just to stimulate some more response, but if you have anything else to say then please share it.

Do you have enough experiences, and are you getting interviews? Are you making a speculative application? If not then your application and cv needs to be looked at. Make sure your cv includes the keywords from the job description.

A masters in Maths won't help you land a job (especially Pure Maths, which many will question you). If you genuinely dont know what you want to do with it, it's best not to do it. Instead focus on calling small firms near you to ask for entry level roles (e.g. pension administrator, finance assistant, operations analyst, junior matketer), and apply for graduate internship onw website such as talent pool.

Have you been learning any useful skills, for example Excel (extremely useful and many entry jobs require it), programming?
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
Do you have enough experiences, and are you getting interviews? Are you making a speculative application? If not then your application and cv needs to be looked at. Make sure your cv includes the keywords from the job description.

A masters in Maths won't help you land a job (especially Pure Maths, which many will question you). If you genuinely dont know what you want to do with it, it's best not to do it. Instead focus on calling small firms near you to ask for entry level roles (e.g. pension administrator, finance assistant, operations analyst, junior matketer), and apply for graduate internship onw website such as talent pool.

Have you been learning any useful skills, for example Excel (extremely useful and many entry jobs require it), programming?

Tried all that stuff. Couldn't get anything. Yes I learned Excel and some C++ 1-3 years ago but haven't done much since because it proved to be useless.

What makes you think a masters in maths wouldn't help someone in landing a job and to what level have you done maths? In my experience everyone who thinks maths is useless just doesn't understand it, but if this is the world we live in then I'll have to adapt.

The sad thing is I don't even know how to adapt. People are walking out of uni with bad degrees and just landing jobs right at their feet. Being ugly and having no experience is just a lost situation it seems. I won't make it to 30, this is just pure misery. Someone please help me......

@KKBOY I'll try that talentpool site and sign up for it. I'll let you know how it goes. In 3 years nothing I've ever done has worked so I have no hope but thanks for the information and idea. I'll give it a go....
(edited 4 years ago)
Tried all that stuff. Couldn't get anything. Yes I learned Excel and some C++ 1-3 years ago but haven't done much since because it proved to be useless.

What makes you think a masters in maths wouldn't help someone in landing a job and to what level have you done maths? In my experience everyone who thinks maths is useless just doesn't understand it, but if this is the world we live in then I'll have to adapt.

The sad thing is I don't even know how to adapt. People are walking out of uni with bad degrees and just landing jobs right at their feet. Being ugly and having no experience is just a lost situation it seems. I won't make it to 30, this is just pure misery. Someone please help me......

May I ask what uni did you graduate from?
Reply 4
Original post by Pepsey
May I ask what uni did you graduate from?

It's consistently ranked in the top 15 in the U.K. I don't feel comfortable giving too specific information though.
Reply 5

@KKBOY I'll try that talentpool site and sign up for it. I'll let you know how it goes. In 3 years nothing I've ever done has worked so I have no hope but thanks for the information and idea. I'll give it a go....

Excel is most definitely useful, although you'll have to give examples of when you've used it (most people use it for budgeting and calculating their expenditures). It's pretty much the main reason as to why I've been considered for interview for some companies.

I've just finished a Maths degree. My opinions comes mainly from my experience meeting other master graduates during group interview and a few recruiters, who warn me to think about it since it'll be ignored most of the times and you'll be competing with those who haven't done one. It won't make up for the lack of experience unless you're applying for jobs that require a particular set of skills (e.g. a few data analytics, research grad schemes want people with masters in mathematics such as this one). If you're still dead set on doing one, its best to apply to top unis such as Imperial, LSE, UCL to make full use of their career events and services.

I would heavily recommend you to try getting an internship, as many graduates who are in your positions manage to progress after completing one. Many may require you to relocate for up 3months. Some good ones are these which don't require much of an experience.
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
Excel is most definitely useful, although you'll have to give examples of when you've used it (most people use it for budgeting and calculating their expenditures). It's pretty much the main reason as to why I've been considered for interview for some companies.

I've just finished a Maths degree. My opinions comes mainly from my experience meeting other master graduates during group interview and a few recruiters, who warn me to think about it since it'll be ignored most of the times and you'll be competing with those who haven't done one. It won't make up for the lack of experience unless you're applying for jobs that require a particular set of skills (e.g. a few data analytics, research grad schemes want people with masters in mathematics such as this one). If you're still dead set on doing one, its best to apply to top unis such as Imperial, LSE, UCL to make full use of their career events and services.

I would heavily recommend you to try getting an internship, as many graduates who are in your positions manage to progress after completing one. Many may require you to relocate for up 3months. Some good ones are these which don't require much of an experience.

Thanks for the information. I know it's work experience that I really need, and I would have given a leg to just be given a chance in something. The 'Maths and Finance' course also includes a 4 month thesis project in association with a financial company e.g. a bank or hedge fund. The project may be an internship or visiting the company regularly for project discussions while working at the college. The 'Pure Mathematics' course doesn't offer such work experience. Work experience is what I need so I'm leaning towards applying to the finance-related masters, despite the fact that I love pure maths such as algebra, probability, and number theory. I guess it's time to play the game. I wouldn't mind having a few lessons in how to ass lick and network/bond though, but no where seems to offer this. :biggrin:

Still interested in more opinions. If anyone has anything else to share please post. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending