The Student Room Group

A-level choices, help???

Hi, at the start of year 11, I chose Psychology, Biology, Sociology and Chemistry as my A level subjects. And I was thinking of doing sociology as an AS level.

However, as the year went by, I lost interest in doing chemistry and I basically hate it now. I have a very strong feeling that if I do A level chemistry I will regret it so much and will have a lack of motivation to do well in it.

So I chose to do sociology as a full A-level but i'm now unsure of what to pick as an AS subject. I want to study psychology at university. I was thinking of choosing history but, my mum thinks it's better if i choose maths or English literature. both which i strongly hate. Does anyone have any ideas of subjects that would be useful or look good on uni applications?
Reply 1
Subjects like Bio and Chem I wouldn’t recommend you taking if you dont want to pursue a science based degree. It’s unnecessary stress.
I take Maths, English Lit and Psychology.
I wanna take Law and I honestly regret maths so much. Psychology workload is bearable and i enjoy English so im okay with it. Basically don’t choose what you dont like because you won’t have motivation to revise at all.
Unis dont really mind what else you take if you want to do Psychology and take Psychology. Obviously I’d recommend English Lit because it’s actually interesting even though its LONGGG and you do pick up good writing habits which will help with dissertations in the future. But ultimately, you’re the one sitting the a levels so pick what you enjoy learning about. People i know who take sciences or maths just complain 24/7 so don’t go for the torture if you don’t need it😂 sociology also seems like a good option. A lot of people who choose psychology and/or sociology also choose economics if your sixth form offers it. But yeah don’t overthink it, just pick what u want on top of Psychology if youre going for a Psyc degree.
Reply 2
Sounds like your mum is attaching more importance to "facilitating subjects" than is warranted.
I think fair enough regarding chemistry - organic chemistry (that's the last thing you do in GCSE right?) is a massive part of A-level, so it sounds like you wouldn't enjoy it.

I agree with history, but do check what time period you'll be studying.

If you take psychology at uni, the courses will vary in nature - some will emphasise the neuroscience aspect, or have a greater focus on statistics and data handling (better for employment prospects, I reckon).

Look up psychology on the course listings of uni websites to get an idea of what subjects are preferred (none are usually explicitly required)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest