The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

I want to do medicine, and I know I’m going to do A Level Chemistry and Biology, but not sure about the third option.
I can’t make my mind up out of these options:
Psychology
Economics
History
Politics
Law
French
If anyone has done these for A level, what did you think of it.

Scroll to see replies

I’m doing my GCSE’s right now and so far I’m thinking of doing biology, chemistry and psychology and either Spanish or computing if I’m taking a forth. I think if you want to go to oxbridge you’ll have to pick a maths though 🤷🏻*♀️
Reply 2
Cool. Are you fluent in Spanish? Also what do you want to study at university?
Original post by Jojoxx
I’m doing my GCSE’s right now and so far I’m thinking of doing biology, chemistry and psychology and either Spanish or computing if I’m taking a forth. I think if you want to go to oxbridge you’ll have to pick a maths though 🤷🏻*♀️
Reply 3
Cool! Are you fluent in Spanish? Also what do you want to study at uni?
Original post by Jojoxx
No, but I’ve done my gcse in it and I really enjoyed the course. Also medicine, but not at oxbridge 😂 maybe Bath or Glasgow, who knows 😂
I study Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and will be applying to study Medicine in October!
Honestly can't recommend psychology enough, a lot of the statistics is included in biology and the overlaps of science is really helpful in minimising content.
Feel free to message me if there is anything you would like to know :smile:
Oh wow, thank youu x
Taken psychology, if you're curious like me you’ll love it, really fascinating x
History could be a good option because it'll show that you have good writing skills to complement your scientific skills
I do Chemistry, Law & Economics, and find them all incredibly challenging and interesting. However, with you having your career path set for medicine, I'd definitely recommend Psychology. :smile:
Those who are telling yo uwhich one will compliment medicine^ dont listen to them honestly, unis dont care as long as you have chhemistry/bio/maths so just pick the one that interests you the most, honestly doing an a level you hate is NOT THE ONE!! So Do your research
Reply 11
Thanks. That’s why I’m interested in taking psychology as it will relate to the degree I want to do. What exam board are you doing? Also what do you find most difficult about the subject.
Original post by bethanyrose02
I study Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and will be applying to study Medicine in October!
Honestly can't recommend psychology enough, a lot of the statistics is included in biology and the overlaps of science is really helpful in minimising content.
Feel free to message me if there is anything you would like to know :smile:
Reply 12
Cool! I think I would enjoy the subject. Is there a lot of subject knowledge and how hard is it to get an A? Thanks
Original post by Ggfffvhjjk
Taken psychology, if you're curious like me you’ll love it, really fascinating x
Reply 13
Yeah, that’s what I though because unis like that you have a humanities alongside sciences.
Original post by Thanosdidnowrong
History could be a good option because it'll show that you have good writing skills to complement your scientific skills
Reply 14
Thanks! What do you find most difficult about Law and psychology. Has law got a lot of content and is the essay-writing hard. And is economics more maths or content based? Thanks
Original post by MydaMina
I do Chemistry, Law & Economics, and find them all incredibly challenging and interesting. However, with you having your career path set for medicine, I'd definitely recommend Psychology. :smile:
Reply 15
I think I am interested in all of these subjects. I get what your saying because, especially for medicine, to get high grades you must enjoy the subject.
Those who are telling yo uwhich one will compliment medicine^ dont listen to them honestly, unis dont care as long as you have chhemistry/bio/maths so just pick the one that interests you the most, honestly doing an a level you hate is NOT THE ONE!! So Do your research
Yeah theres alott of subject knowledge but thats with all a levels tbh, i think i found it easy to remember stuff because the content is interesting and just sticks with you. if you are good with essays and quite intellectual its easy to get an A tbf
Original post by epicnm
Cool! I think I would enjoy the subject. Is there a lot of subject knowledge and how hard is it to get an A? Thanks
You're welcome ! Law has an incredibly large amount of content, and yes, the essay-based writing styles are challenging, but I personally wouldn't say hard, as I find Law as a passion. Law constitutes of lots of cases and statutes to memorize to then applying it to new based scenarios. Economics on the other hand, I would say has a mixture of maths and content involved, but mainly content. The maths are quite minor but still valid and key to know i.e. index numbers and concentration ratios as such.
Original post by epicnm
Thanks! What do you find most difficult about Law and psychology. Has law got a lot of content and is the essay-writing hard. And is economics more maths or content based? Thanks
as long as you actively learn the info throughout the year youd be fine
Reply 19
Thanks!
Yeah theres alott of subject knowledge but thats with all a levels tbh, i think i found it easy to remember stuff because the content is interesting and just sticks with you. if you are good with essays and quite intellectual its easy to get an A tbf

Quick Reply

Latest