The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Carlo08
Dont do computing!! i did it at as, its awfull! you learn about a whole host of useless crap, like how to covert to and from binary :s-smilie: why would anyone need to know that we are humans not computers and already have our own language(s).

Do something like Chemistry, that will go well with maths and its interesting and looked upon highly by universities / business as it involves lots of analytical work and problem solving.

That makes no sense.

On topic: if you're determined to do ICT or Computing do computing. It's a much better subject than ICT. It is slightly harder, still relatively easy, but the stuff you will learn is vaguely interesting and useful. ICT is a waste of time.
Ahh that's really difficult. I'd choose Computing over ICT any day, because as other people have said, ICT is considered a 'soft' A level by many universities. My offer from Imperial explicitly stated that ICT would not form part of the offer. However, the vast majority of the A2 syllabus for ICT (well, for AQA anyway) is largely business-related and may be more useful for what you want to do.
Torseor
Ok. Well then, I'll take English Lit instead of Lang/Lit, doesn't seem to be a "major" change and I enjoy reading.

I have the option to take Politics and Government. It's just struck me that this seems to be perfect for my career. I could replace computing with it, but I spend way too much time on the computer and I've picked up quite a lot from using the computer over the years..

Decisions decisions..

As someone who has also spent much too much time on the computer (and now finished A2 Computing) I would advise you to do Politics and Government. It suits what you want to do after A-levels much better than Computing does, it is a more respected subject, and you will avoid the disproportionately large courseworks in Computing.
alex_hk90
Where did you see this? Does it depend on the college?
My friend who has an offer from Cambridge has had Computing excluded from it.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/compsci/requirements.html

im sure ive seen it for natsci and maths too
Sports Racer
I would suggest you do the following if you can: Maths, Economics, English Lit., Computing and then drop Computing.

Doing Computing is good for a few reasons. First, it'll be amazingly easy for you if you like/know computers. It's like getting an extra few free periods but then an A at the end. However, it's nowhere near as unrespected as ICT. Plus, you'll have fun. Coding a program is far less dull than what you'll do in ICT.

Remember, most unis will want 2 Hard A2s and will allow you to get away with a Soft A2. In your case, you have 3 Hards and 1 Soft.

Just for your information, LSE accepted me and my A Levels are Maths, Econs and RS with Computing AS.

english lang is softer than computing though
Reply 25
Computing will not help you in the slightest for what you want to do. I would keep the computing as a hobby, and do Politics and Government, if that interests you.
trance addict

Right, so it is a college thing; only around half the colleges even have it as 'useful' (not even 'preferred').
Maths, Further Maths and Physics would be the main three to take for CompSci at Cambridge (and probably elsewhere).
It's not mentioned for NatSci and only one college finds it 'useful' for Maths.
Overall I wouldn't call it respected, but it is much better to have than ICT.
alex_hk90
Right, so it is a college thing; only around half the colleges even have it as 'useful' (not even 'preferred').
Maths, Further Maths and Physics would be the main three to take for CompSci at Cambridge (and probably elsewhere).
It's not mentioned for NatSci and only one college finds it 'useful' for Maths.
Overall I wouldn't call it respected, but it is much better to have than ICT.

sorry meant engineering not natsci

http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/table1.html
trance addict

A bit odd; looks like it's more helpful for Engineering than CompSci.

Back on topic though, OP, I would recommend you choose:
Maths, Economics, English Literature, Government and Politics
And maybe consider Further Maths if you are naturally good at Maths.
Out of the two, Computing, definitely. I do Computing (wish I didn't, mind) and I guess it could be relatively interesting if you're into programming. I'm not, therefore I'm not a huge fan. Wish I did History or politics.

I do Eng Lit/Lang combined too. It's ok, relatively straight forward, but again I wish I did Eng Lit on it's own. The combined course is a bit contrived I find, lang and lit analysis doesn't always mix well but in certain exams you are forced to do both in order to fulfill the mark scheme.

I'm not going to try and comment in detail on the respectability of the subjects, but I applied for English Lit at Uni this year (on the whole, pretty competitive) and I gained some decent offers (Exeter-AAA, Leeds-AAB, Manchester-AAB), so make of that what you will!

Latest