The Student Room Group

my parents are forcing me to do 4 a levels...

Scroll to see replies

@harrysbar :colonhash: I hope my kids aren't gonna do this to me!
Original post by Jeff_Jeff
just beat your parents
honestly with the way that my exams are going I'll be lucky to pass, let alone get A*s
Original post by Coolkitkat23
yeah i know alot of people who say that doing 4 alevels is basically doing the content of 15 gcses, is that true?

thanks, but my parents are REALLY ignorant

i'd try but then i'd also die

just take it like a man and go down fighting
Reply 23
A lot of schools like you to start 4 and drop one around Christmas or after AS once you have decided which you like best, are better at and is taught best in your school/college.

For medicine some places require 3 A levels + an AS or EPQ.

The only real reason you might take 4 all the way to Y13 is to improve your university choices if you are taking Further Maths, as it can be a bit limiting if you are doing Maths, FM and 1 other.

Obviously needs to be your choice, but if you want to persuade your parents, get them to "Ask a Cambridge Admissions Tutor" on here and they will be told that you only need 3 even there!
yeah ik - maybe as a compromise I can do a 4th AS and drop a subject at the end of year 12 if they still aren't convinced
Original post by harrysbar
3 is the normal number to take these days.

It only used to be 4 when the exams were split into A/S at the end of Year 12 and then A levels at the end of Year 13 (with people often doing resits after A/S levels to improve the grades).

Could you get your school to phone your parents to explain it is normal to do 3?
its okay, i share the exact same viewpoint, my parents are insanely stuck with the older generation, they cant seem to see how hard life has become, especially gcses! my dad did his gcses like 30 years ago or something (i have young parents) my mom did hers like 23 years ago, and basically the information that they had to 'revise' is something that is the basic knowledge of an year 8, we have a workload worth 3 times of what they had to learn. Its good that your telling this to your cousin, ill do the same if they dont force me to do 4 a-levels... in the end asians will choose the one way they have done for centuries:

Spoiler

Original post by Themysticalegg
My dad's views are so stupid and outdated talking about things which were true about 50 years ago, I could go on about all the things I've corrected him about in regards to university and the job market as I have recent experience of both. He went onto this exact topic incidentally of having 4 A-levels vs three and I was like are you f****** stupid even Oxbridge only needs 3 A-levels and on Cambridge's ask admissions thread someone asked this question and they were like we prefer quality over quantity. So now I am advising my younger cousin on university entry as she wants to go to Cambridge cos my dad fed her a bunch of myths and outdated info. Anyway I'm triggered. :rofl:

The only reason why I got a job based on my situation was extra curriculars and work experience. He was like oh I didn't you know you worked for a few companies during university I thought you just did your degree. I was like no dad if I focused 100% on just education it would be harder for me to get a job with a business degree in this job market.

WELL MUMMY AND DADDY WHY DIDN'T U GET A 9 THEN IF UR SO SMART.

Ignore me I got tilted.
Reply 26
Tell your parents to shut the **** up cause they dont know how ****ing hard these exams are. 4 A levels is so hard to get good grades in and you have to be 100% committed from day 1. YOU WILL HAVE A ****ING BREAKDOWN LIKE ME. These stupid a levels have got my stress levels to the max and Im glad its a day left for me then its over. Honestly, I would of rather chosen btec then a levels and I got really good GCSE grades as well with a's but Im getting bad grades in a level. Btecs can get in the same unis or even better unis than those doing a levels with so much less stress and time in your hands.
You need to persuade them that three is the norm these days.

If I were you I’d show them university pages with entry requirements listed because most universities usually have it noted as three grades rather than four.
My dad's views are so stupid and outdated talking about things which were true about 50 years ago, I could go on about all the things I've corrected him about in regards to university and the job market as I have recent experience of both. He went onto this exact topic incidentally of having 4 A-levels vs three and I was like are you f****** stupid even Oxbridge only needs 3 A-levels and on Cambridge's ask admissions thread someone asked this question and they were like we prefer quality over quantity. So now I am advising my younger cousin on university entry as she wants to go to Cambridge cos my dad fed her a bunch of myths and outdated info. Anyway I'm triggered. :rofl:

The only reason why I got a job based on my situation was extra curriculars and work experience. He was like oh I didn't you know you worked for a few companies during university I thought you just did your degree. I was like no dad if I focused 100% on just education it would be harder for me to get a job with a business degree in this job market.

WELL MUMMY AND DADDY WHY DIDN'T U GET A 9 THEN IF UR SO SMART.

Ignore me I got tilted.

Haha I've never heard you so annoyed about something! My dad also thinks he's an expert on everything....he thinks he knows more than me about education despite the fact that I work in it (whereas he worked in finance) and also, he's 82! :biggrin:
i literally dont care if i get disowned anymore :/
LOOOOOOOOOL Ok I'm done. Get mummy and daddy on the phone i'm on a warpath now! :angry:
thank you so much!
Original post by danaaltajer
honestly with the way that my exams are going I'll be lucky to pass, let alone get A*s
Original post by danaaltajer
yeah ik - maybe as a compromise I can do a 4th AS and drop a subject at the end of year 12 if they still aren't convinced

That could be a compromise, but if you find that the 4th one is starting to drag your other marks down because you are overloaded with work, I would advise you to drop it earlier. Some people aim to drop one by Christmas once they have had a good chance to try all 4 and see which one they least enjoy
My dad's 72 and worked in a takeaway his whole life. He didn't go to university or have a proper education so I don't know why he feels so qualified about education/white collar employment either.... :rofl: God wish you were my dad Lady Harry. :biggrin: (Unfortunately my mum is too much of a darling so you have to settle for dad :tongue: ) I don't generally get annoyed but very unique topics can get satan out of me.
Haha I've never heard you so annoyed about something! My dad also thinks he's an expert on everything....he thinks he knows more than me about education despite the fact that I work in it (whereas he worked in finance) and also, he's 82! :biggrin:

@harrysbar You're missing out on the Asian parenting experience where not going to Oxbridge is the same as death. :wink: :rofl: (Deep inside I would want my kids to go to Oxbridge but I know it's unfair to force such a belief on them. :biggrin:)

its okay, i share the exact same viewpoint, my parents are insanely stuck with the older generation, they cant seem to see how hard life has become, especially gcses! my dad did his gcses like 30 years ago or something (i have young parents) my mom did hers like 23 years ago, and basically the information that they had to 'revise' is something that is the basic knowledge of an year 8, we have a workload worth 3 times of what they had to learn. Its good that your telling this to your cousin, ill do the same if they dont force me to do 4 a-levels... in the end asians will choose the one way they have done for centuries:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by E10JAFF
Tell your parents to shut the **** up cause they dont know how ****ing hard these exams are. 4 A levels is so hard to get good grades in and you have to be 100% committed from day 1. YOU WILL HAVE A ****ING BREAKDOWN LIKE ME. These stupid a levels have got my stress levels to the max and Im glad its a day left for me then its over. Honestly, I would of rather chosen btec then a levels and I got really good GCSE grades as well with a's but Im getting bad grades in a level. Btecs can get in the same unis or even better unis than those doing a levels with so much less stress and time in your hands.

Let me guess, you had maths today
you're welcome for bringing down the boundaries :smile:
thank you so much!
My dad's 72 and worked in a takeaway his whole life. He didn't go to university or have a proper education so I don't know why he feels so qualified about education/white collar employment either.... :rofl: God wish you were my dad Lady Harry. :biggrin: (Unfortunately my mum is too much of a darling so you have to settle for dad :tongue: )

@harrysbar You're missing out on the Asian parenting experience where not going to Oxbridge is the same as death. :wink: :rofl: (Deep inside I would want my kids to go to Oxbridge but I know it's unfair to force such a belief on them. :biggrin:)

Admittedly I have missed out on the Asian parenting experience, can't really pretend to know anything about that :biggrin: Our Dads still have stuff in common tho, both know-it- alls.

All this time me and @Oxford Mum have been fighting over being your TSR Mum and it turns out we should have been pitching to be your second Dad instead :tongue:
I avoided that parenting experience because my mum is very kinda I don't care what you do just don't go to prison. :biggrin: :tongue: But I got a glimpse of what my dad thinks and is like recently and I'm glad he didn't bring me up because he's kinda like the if you don't go into a Russell Group you're dead to me type of person.... :rofl:

Indeed, interesting fact the top two people on TSR who quote me the most are actually yourself Lady Harry and OM. :tongue:
Admittedly I have missed out on the Asian parenting experience, can't really pretend to know anything about that :biggrin: Our Dads still have stuff in common tho, both know-it- alls.

All this time me and @Oxford Mum have been fighting over being your TSR Mum and it turns out we should have been pitching to be your second Dad instead :tongue:
i dont want to do 4 alevels, i'd rather do 3 and do well in them then spend my time on 4! :frown: what should i do? do unis care if you do 4 instead of 3?

I started with 4 A levels then dropped one at the end of year 12
Indeed, interesting fact the top two people on TSR who quote me the most are actually yourself Lady Harry and OM. :tongue:

Interesting....I just checked my stats and for me it's Noto, OM, you and that silly old bear
i dont want to burden myself because im ultra lazy, like snorlax, thank you for telling me this! also if i get like 5 a*s for gcse they will probably be like 'you wont be accepted to any good university'

What do your school say? Most only advise three A levels now they are linear again.The only exception is Maths/FMaths plus 2.

Your parents cannot make you do 4 ...

Quick Reply

Latest