The Student Room Group

Wondering how competitive it is to get into Oxbridge for Mathematics?

I’ve just finished my GCSEs and I was just wondering how difficult it would be to get into Oxbridge for Mathematics??

I did higher maths GCSE and further maths and I am likely to get the top grade in those (fingers crossed).

I am planning to do maths and further maths at a level as well, and I really enjoy the subject; I think it’s my favourite (:

I was just wondering how competitive it was, especially as a girl, to get into for maths because I heard it was one of the most difficult to get into?

Any advice would be much appreciated !
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
For Oxford you have to sit the MAT in October of year 13 and do well enough in it to be interviewed - 70+ would be good and would probably put you in the upper minority of applicants. For Cambridge you need to take STEP II and III which would be around the same time as your A-levels.

For Oxford the hardest part is getting the offer. For Cambridge the hardest part is meeting the offer.

You can't rely on good predicted grades or excellent GCSEs for either of them.
Original post by Sinnoh
For Oxford you have to sit the MAT in October of year 13 and do well enough in it to be interviewed - 70+ would be good and would probably put you in the upper minority of applicants. For Cambridge you need to take STEP II and III which would be around the same time as your A-levels.

For Oxford the hardest part is getting the offer. For Cambridge the hardest part is meeting the offer.

You can't rely on good predicted grades or excellent GCSEs for either of them.

Yeah I know the hardest part is getting good a levels and oxbridge don’t really care if you have 16 gcses
Reply 3
Original post by student8463829
Yeah I know the hardest part is getting good a levels and oxbridge don’t really care if you have 16 gcses

Well getting A*A*A is much easier than getting a 1 in STEP II and III - that's what I meant. It's just that for Oxford you 'only' have to get A*A*A but for Cambridge you need to do that plus STEP
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Oxbridge forum :smile:

You can look at some admissions statistics from both Oxford and Cambridge on their respective websites here and here (also for Oxford here)

It's worth noting each have slightly different ways of assessing applicants, both in general and for maths specifically. In general, Oxford emphasises GCSEs more, and interviews a lower number of applicants by shortlisting first. Cambridge uses GCSEs less (not very much at all, although they are considered in context of the holistic application) and deselects fewer before interview, and so interview a higher proportion of applicants, but then consider all the factors in context after the interview.

For maths specifically, Oxford uses the MAT, taken before application, in shortlisting for interview (which has more weight than GCSEs does though). Cambridge however uses STEP, taken after interview (and your exams), as part of a conditional offer. An offer from Oxford would then depend only on getting given grades in your A-levels, whereas at Cambridge you need to achieve those and the STEP condition.

Your gender shouldn't affect your ability to get in, although widening participation is a concern for both universities generally. They may have some outreach events specifically for women going into STEM fields etc that may be of interest (although this won't make a difference to the admissions) as such. The courses are a bit different, although you'll cover similar content in each, so look at how each is taught. While both cover a similar range, Cambridge is generally well known for it's applied mathematics/theoretical physics offerings (and has a slightly wider range of options than Oxford in that area, and similar range for pure/applicable maths iirc).

At Cambridge you take "compendium examinations" where there are 4 exams at the end of each year, each of which covers more than one set of lecture courses (i.e. modules elsewhere). However you aren't guaranteed a place for Part III/4th year (MMath year) which is dependent on getting a first normally in 3rd year I believe. At Oxford the courses are slightly more typical to other universities where each lecture course as it's own associated exam paper (except the short options in second year, which are more similar to the above), and you are normally admitted to the 4 year course to start with.

Oxford also has the joint schools, of Mathematics & Philosophy (arguably a tripartite course in philosophy, maths, and logic), Mathematics & Computer Science and Mathematics & Statistics (although you could cover similar topics to this at Cambridge in the single honours maths course there). So if you were interested in studying subjects outside of mathematics (and theoretical physics) in your degree, it may be worth looking at those courses too.

@RichE might be able to give some information about Oxford maths generally, beyond the above, and @Doones may be able to offer advice on Cambridge generally.
Thank you ! This was very useful (: I’m interested in pure mathematics but my mom said it’s not very useful.
Thank you ! This was very useful (: I’m interested in pure mathematics but my mom said it’s not very useful.

I'd note there's plenty of pure maths on offer at Cambridge (as I understand the best scoring candidates tend to be those focusing on pure maths there, typically), although the specific areas may differ a bit (I get the impression Cambridge is a bit more analysis oriented whereas Oxford seems a little more algebra focused in terms of options). You'll also cover "core" material in both (in typically real and some complex analysis, linear algebra, and some abstract algebra, minimally) courses too no matter what.

All of that is maybe a bit further away though, but you won't be wanting for options in pure maths at either and likely can do very well from either :smile:

What particularly appeals about the maths degree content at Oxbridge? Have you done UKMT challenges or anything similar? Have you read any maths books for fun/interest?
Reply 8

A mathematics degree - especially from a top maths department - places you as well as any other degree in the job market. By way of preparation any exercises/problems you have attempted are useful; both universities are looking for students who are willing/able to engage with maths they haven't explicitly worked with before. UKMT may address this a little, but isn't necessary and probably not ideal. STEP past papers would be useful practice, or maybe MAT papers as a first move towards taking on STEP. The main thing is to be doing maths that stretches your thought processes, and isn't just routine. As Artful said, I'm happy to answer any Oxford related questions.
I applied for Oxford for maths and got a 67 in my MAT I have just received an interview I got in
I applied for Warwick LSE imperial Durham Stanford and MIT however I received offers for these unis last quite a while ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending