The Student Room Group

Gap year

I’m considering taking a gap year because I don’t know what to study and I don’t want to do the course I applied for. The thing is I don’t know what to do in my gap year. Would it be okay if I just work part time throughout the whole year and save some money. Or would I be wasting a year. I don’t want to end up doing a course which I don’t like very much, but at the same time I feel like I will be wasting a year if I take a gap year?
You're not wasting a year at all as long as you know what you're going to do that year. It'd definitely be a waste of a year (and a lot of money) if you spent it studying something you dislike. I think you should focus on being productive and carefully thinking about what you want to do.
Yes, working and saving money is absolutely fine! I have taken two gap years because I didn't know what I wanted to do after leaving school and i'm starting uni in September. I've been saving up so I feel like i'm in a good position money wise, and the experience my job (Just working in a shop) has given me helped my uni application a lot. Especially if you don't want to do the course any more, i think it is a good idea. I don't feel like i've wasted two years at all :smile:
Original post by Laurenloops
Yes, working and saving money is absolutely fine! I have taken two gap years because I didn't know what I wanted to do after leaving school and i'm starting uni in September. I've been saving up so I feel like i'm in a good position money wise, and the experience my job (Just working in a shop) has given me helped my uni application a lot. Especially if you don't want to do the course any more, i think it is a good idea. I don't feel like i've wasted two years at all :smile:
Original post by foilboot
You're not wasting a year at all as long as you know what you're going to do that year. It'd definitely be a waste of a year (and a lot of money) if you spent it studying something you dislike. I think you should focus on being productive and carefully thinking about what you want to do.

Thanks !
Reply 4
If you DEFINITELY dont like the idea of your course then you could argue that your wasting a year or 3 yrs doing a course you dont like. Do a lot of research this Summer, find GAP year courses, look at interrailing. You would work for like 7 months then travel for the rest.

What have you finally decided to do at uni?
Original post by anonymousamk
What have you finally decided to do at uni?

Diagnostic radiography :smile:
Diagnostic radiography :smile:

Great
Original post by Zoe Lea
If you DEFINITELY dont like the idea of your course then you could argue that your wasting a year or 3 yrs doing a course you dont like. Do a lot of research this Summer, find GAP year courses, look at interrailing. You would work for like 7 months then travel for the rest.

Yeah good idea

Quick Reply

Latest