The Student Room Group

What percentage of medical students take a gap year before uni?

Asking out of curiosity
Original post by Voxxia
Asking out of curiosity

I can't tell you that - in fact I'm not sure there is any body that holds that data.

What I can tell you is that in 2018 out of 20,730 applicants, 2,480 had applied previously. This proportion has been steadily decreasing since 2015, when 3710 applicants out of 20,390 were re-applicants

https://www.ucas.com/file/130741/download?token=g_2adVK0

You may be interested to know though that between FY2 and ST1 i.e. between years 2 and 3 as a doctor, its a natural career break and more than half of doctors take a gap year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
I can't tell you that - in fact I'm not sure there is any body that holds that data.

What I can tell you is that in 2018 out of 20,730 applicants, 2,480 had applied previously. This proportion has been steadily decreasing since 2015, when 3710 applicants out of 20,390 were re-applicants

https://www.ucas.com/file/130741/download?token=g_2adVK0

You may be interested to know though that between FY2 and ST1 i.e. between years 2 and 3 as a doctor, its a natural career break and more than half of doctors take a gap year.

Ahh thank you for answering :biggrin: I would like to ask a few questions about those (but do feel free to ignore them if you want)

Do you know if the statistics for those who reapplied to medicine contain individuals who only applied their first application after their gap year?

And this may be silly asking but when you say doctors take a gap year e.g. after year 2, would they return after the gap year as year 3 or year 4 students?
Original post by Voxxia
Do you know if the statistics for those who reapplied to medicine contain individuals who only applied their first application after their gap year?

Re-applicants are people who are applying for a second time. That's why UCAS has this data easily to hand.

And this may be silly asking but when you say doctors take a gap year e.g. after year 2, would they return after the gap year as year 3 or year 4 students?

Year 3 of course - you can't just skip a year of training :tongue: We're talking about doctors, not students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending