The Student Room Group

Can I get away with using a railcard for me and a friend?

Me and a friend are both 16 and have planned a two day trip up to Bristol. We have already bought the train tickets, and as they were very expensive, used my mums ‘family and friends’ railcard. My friend looks a lot younger than she is, so she’s bought a child’s ticket (claiming to be 15) and I’ve bought an adults ticket (As I’m 16). These tickets met the railcard criteria of having one child travelling with one adult. I’ve been on a train several times and have never had my ticket checked, however I’ve never used a railcard on my ticket purchase before. What would happen if our tickets were checked and I showed the conductor my mums railcard? Is it technically illegal, would we get fined etc. It would be no use us buying a 16-24 railcard as we wouldn’t use it enough to get back the money. Please help!!
Original post by Abbilily_x
Me and a friend are both 16 and have planned a two day trip up to Bristol. We have already bought the train tickets, and as they were very expensive, used my mums ‘family and friends’ railcard. My friend looks a lot younger than she is, so she’s bought a child’s ticket (claiming to be 15) and I’ve bought an adults ticket (As I’m 16). These tickets met the railcard criteria of having one child travelling with one adult. I’ve been on a train several times and have never had my ticket checked, however I’ve never used a railcard on my ticket purchase before. What would happen if our tickets were checked and I showed the conductor my mums railcard? Is it technically illegal, would we get fined etc. It would be no use us buying a 16-24 railcard as we wouldn’t use it enough to get back the money. Please help!!

Yeah you will get a fine if caught I wouldn't risk it
Reply 2
Original post by Rock Fan
Yeah you will get a fine if caught I wouldn't risk it

Do you know how much the fine is? We’ve saved £55 doing it this way so if the fine is less it might be worth it
Bad idea. If caught and prosecuted you risk a possible criminal record and a fine of hundreds of pounds. Just do the right thing.
Reply 4
Original post by Going Back
Bad idea. If caught and prosecuted you risk a possible criminal record and a fine of hundreds of pounds. Just do the right thing.

In jail:

prisoner: what you in for buddy?
me: I didn't buy a railcard and hopped on the train
prisoner: get the **** away from me you crazy *****
Original post by Xarao
In jail:

prisoner: what you in for buddy?
me: I didn't buy a railcard and hopped on the train
prisoner: get the **** away from me you crazy *****

Group W. :smile:
Do you know how much the fine is? We’ve saved £55 doing it this way so if the fine is less it might be worth it

You are looking at a big fine at the very least
Reply 7

From what I can find online, the fine is up to £1000.

Both of you will be travelling without a valid ticket, so at the very least you might be required to pay a full fare for a new ticket You might also have to pay a penalty fare too. If the inspector realises that you're not one of the people named on the railcard they may well confiscate it -- then you'll have to explain to your mum what has happened to it.

You don't say where you're travelling from to get to Bristol. Be aware that the longer your journey, the more likely you are to have your ticket checked. Also note that Bristol Temple Meads has ticket barriers, and there are regularly British Transport Police officers standing right by these. For what it's worth, my ticket is routinely checked when I'm travelling into Bristol.

Your safest course of action would probably be to investigate if you can get a refund on the tickets you've bought (there may be an admin charge for this), and buy the correct tickets. You could look at getting a "Two Together" railcard (£30, you just need one card, not one each); also look at booking advance tickets as these are cheaper (you probably did this anyway, but I mention this in case you didn't realise).
Are you classed as the other adult on the family and friends rail ticket or not?

It's fine, even if you get your ticket checked just insist that she's 15. Conductors won't bother asking for proof of age as long as she looks reasonably under 16. As you both get older, though, you should consider two 16-25 railcards, or perhaps a two together railcard

PS: I know I shouldn't be advising doing things against the TOC's rules, but it's realistic. As a regular rail traveller both for commuting and leisure, I have not once seen a conductor ask for proof of age unless someone is trying to purchase a child ticket
(edited 4 years ago)

the fine is double the single fare that is charged on the day
Yes it is illegal.

Different train companies have different policies on how they deal with this matter.
Most train companies have what is called a "Penalty Fare Policy" and you'd be charged double the anytime single, or £20 (whichever is greater) each. It is not a fine as it hasn't gone to court at that stage. The fine will not be worth it.

Otherwise it could go to court and you could be fined [note that they are not obliged to give a penalty fare and could go straight to court]. railforums has a whole subforum on people asking for advice cases. Typically the cost is the correct fare + administration fee + victim surcharge which I believe is typically £100-600. Plus, you'll be starting up a criminal record.

In most cases, you'll only have a guard checking your ticket, and they are usually rather limited to what they can do, but would try and make you pay the full fare. I think some train companies make it so guards can escalate cases, not sure how that works.
However if you encounter a revenue protection officer, that is where it will get bad.

Be aware they will usually confiscate the railcard if you are caught.

It's not worth it. Do you want to risk a criminal record, and how that could effect chances of getting jobs in the future? Please for your own sakes, buy a valid ticket. Have you looked to see if split ticketing will save you money?
What would happen if our tickets were checked and I showed the conductor my mums railcard?

Also, bear in mind what would happen if you were to "borrow" your mum's railcard without her realising? She might end up on a train, and not be able to produce it when required. This will get her into trouble.
Why not just get a 2 together railcard??

Honestly it's not worth it. On local journeys tickets aren't often checked but on longer journeys they will almost always have an inspector and honestly a 16 and 15 year old with a family railcard is gonna look suspicious. Maybe the guard won't care. Maybe they will and then you're looking at double a single fare fine, each.
Railcards have ID pictures on them, so I'm going to assume that you don't look mature enough to look like your mum.

I really wouldn't bother.

Look at it this way. If you don't get caught this time, you didn't "save money"'. You cheated and stole.
Original post by MidgetFever
Railcards have ID pictures on them, so I'm going to assume that you don't look mature enough to look like your mum.

I really wouldn't bother.

Not the family and friends one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending