The Student Room Group

Will a uni cover my travel for the open day

I’ve been invited to a unis open day and they offer a travel bursary of up to 150 pounds. My question is, I’m travelling from quite far out so i am travelling to London first and then the uni as it’s an hour away by train from London. However, I plan to leave the next day as it’s not feasible for me to spend almost half a day travelling so will be staying over in London for the night and then travelling back the next day. So will the uni cover my travel costs? I’ve contacted the uni but no response thus far so if anyone has similar experiences, I’d love to know what happened.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Noodlecooking
I’ve been invited to a unis open day and they offer a travel bursary of up to 150 pounds. My question is, I’m travelling from quite far out so i am travelling to London first and then the uni as it’s an hour away by train from London. However, I plan to leave the next day as it’s not feasible for me to spend almost half a day travelling so will be staying over in London for the night and then travelling back the next day. So will the uni cover my travel costs? I’ve contacted the uni but no response thus far so if anyone has similar experiences, I’d love to know what happened.
Thanks

Every university will have its own policy on this sort of thing. So if you're looking to visit University A, you can't draw conclusions based on people's experiences at Universities B, C, D,....

If you need an overnight stay, it would be worth checking with the university whether they have recommended places to stay, perhaps with preferential rates. An overnight stay in London is possibly going to more expensive than an overnight stay more local to the university.

Look to see whether the cost of your train trip would be cheaper using an appropriate railcard: a 16-17 Saver if you're under 18; or a 16-25 Railcard if you're under 26. Be sure to read the terms and conditions of the card you get.
Thanks

Every uni is different so it is worth checking with them.
You never know they may recommend places to stay, possibly with preferential rates.
London will be pretty pricey to stay though.
Thanks
Why do you need to stay in London? I doubt they will cover that when you could stay near the uni.

Half a day's travel is not much tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest