The Student Room Group

Travelling or moving?

Hello, I live in london and Im going to university of essex which a two hour journey one way. Im wondering if it is better to move to an accomodation in Essex or if there is a train pass I can buy so make commuting easier. So I can prepare ahead of time.
Original post by miki_00
Hello, I live in london and Im going to university of essex which a two hour journey one way. Im wondering if it is better to move to an accomodation in Essex or if there is a train pass I can buy so make commuting easier. So I can prepare ahead of time.

I commuted to and from my sixth form, which was a 3 ½ hour round trip. Less time travelling, a less intense academic stage of my life. It was a huge challenge and made my life very difficult. I can't imagine how it would be for uni. You shouldn't do it, you'll just wear yourself out, spend an obscene amount of money on railways, and you'll be left at the mercy of railway strikes. For your sake, get a place close to your university.
I tried studying a degree in a city that was a 30-40 minute bus journey away from my house and even that didn't work out since the public transport proved too unreliable and it felt like I was very disconnected from the university and the other students. But it depends where your priorities are, if you just want to do the degree and don't care too much about the social side then it will save you a lot of money to live at home. Also with that length of journey, if you choose to do that, you should definitely ensure you can work on the train (if they have wifi and plug sockets), since it's a good chunk out of your working day.
Hi there

Congratulations on getting an offer at University. :biggrin: How are you feeling about University? Is there a particular reason for wanting to stay at your Home address?

A four hour commute each day can be quite tiring. It can take a lot of energy to travel and you may also have to deal with travel delays and strikes. I think living on campus is a good option, it gives you a lot of freedom and chances to gain independence. Commuting can be quite difficult, as you may need to be at lectures or seminars at early hours. Furthermore, it would make attending socials at University a bit more inconvenient.

Regarding train discounts: I use a 16-25 Railcard from Santander. This gives you I think a 30% discount on every train journey you make. Though you would need to carry your railcard with you. Despite the discount, if you were to commute everyday, it will be quite costly.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by miki_00

Hey,

I can imagine a two-hour journey is quite a lot if you're doing it every day, so I'd say you'd be better off getting accommodation nearby to be honest! You'll spend a lot of your day travelling, which as a commuting student I know is kind of annoying! It's also harder to get to 9am classes on time haha :biggrin: But, if you do decide to travel, it might be worth getting a 16-25 Railcard. I commute to uni by train sometimes and have one, and it means I save about 1/3 on all rail travel. It costs £30 for the year, but pays itself off pretty quickly when you're getting a decent discount from it! I find I also save a bit of money by getting season tickets. But again, you need to consider if a 2 hour journey each way is worth it/affordable for you!

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

Congratulations on getting an offer at University. :biggrin: How are you feeling about University? Is there a particular reason for wanting to stay at your Home address?

A four hour commute each day can be quite tiring. It can take a lot of energy to travel and you may also have to deal with travel delays and strikes. I think living on campus is a good option, it gives you a lot of freedom and chances to gain independence. Commuting can be quite difficult, as you may need to be at lectures or seminars at early hours. Furthermore, it would make attending socials at University a bit more inconvenient.

Regarding train discounts: I use a 16-25 Railcard from Santander. This gives you I think a 30% discount on every train journey you make. Though you would need to carry your railcard with you. Despite the discount, if you were to commute everyday, it will be quite costly.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hi I am happy about starting again I wanted to get accomdation but i didnt think I could afford it or get accomdation on time because I applied through clearing recently. I didnt realise how exhausting and tiring it was and because of the strikes I do think I need to rethink my options. Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

I can imagine a two-hour journey is quite a lot if you're doing it every day, so I'd say you'd be better off getting accommodation nearby to be honest! You'll spend a lot of your day travelling, which as a commuting student I know is kind of annoying! It's also harder to get to 9am classes on time haha :biggrin: But, if you do decide to travel, it might be worth getting a 16-25 Railcard. I commute to uni by train sometimes and have one, and it means I save about 1/3 on all rail travel. It costs £30 for the year, but pays itself off pretty quickly when you're getting a decent discount from it! I find I also save a bit of money by getting season tickets. But again, you need to consider if a 2 hour journey each way is worth it/affordable for you!

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Yeah i already have a punctuality issue as well as the cost of tickets would accumulate alot so I will definitely think about living on campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending