The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh my god how am I the only person here?

So I have several questions:
- Is it true that this university doesn't look at predicted grades (AS grades)?Their requirement is to get A*AA at the end of year 13 right?Not year 12?
-It's multiple mini interviews so what kind of questions are they going to ask me?
-Do they accept an EPQ?
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by blacksheep123
Oh my god how am I the only person here?

So I have several questions:
- Is it true that this university doesn't look at predicted grades (AS grades)?Their requirement is to get A*AA at the end of year 13 right?Not year 12?
-It's multiple mini interviews so what kind of questions are they going to ask me?
-Do they accept an EPQ?
:smile: :smile: :smile:

@ecolier has kindly put relevant links above, the info is all on their web site...

Yes, Keele is one of the few that doesn't look at predicted grades. https://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/howtoapply/#faqs

The interview process is MMI - explained here - https://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/howtoapply/#the-interview

EPQ's are not mentioned in the entry requirements, so that'll be a no then. https://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/howtoapply/#faqs
(edited 4 years ago)
How do people feel about Keele as a university for Medicine and as a university in general? I just don't know what my options are going to be anymore, and I am waiting for my UCAT before I make any final decisions.
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know about an important questionnaire for applicants to UK medical schools (entry 2020) who live in the UK: https://bit.ly/2V8vBAj

It takes about 20 minutes and is part of a national academic research study about applying to medicine. When you take part in the study you can enter into a prize draw (lottery) to win Amazon vouchers (prizes: 2 x £500 vouchers, 5 x £250 vouchers and, 50 x £50 vouchers).

The research is called the UK Medical Applicant Cohort Study. It's funded by the National Institute for Health Research and led by Dr Katherine Woolf from University College London (UCL). It aims to help future students apply to medical school and help the NHS get the best doctors, but you may also find taking part helps you reflect on the application process.

Students who've already filled in the questionnaire have said:
" I found this questionnaire helpful, it reminded me of why I wanted to apply to a medical school in the first place and my current set of skills to see what else I need to for my application. I hope my answers can help future medical students in any way."
" Very Interesting questionnaire, it helped me learn about myself and my choices more."
"This has helped me condense a lot of important information about medical schools."
" I enjoyed doing this questionnaire and I hope my response is useful. Thank you for the opportunity!"

The research team stores the information you provide securely and keeps it confidential. The study is NOT part of any medical school application process. The information you give will NOT be used to make any decisions about you that will affect your education or career. Your information will ONLY be used for academic research. For more information please read the Study Information Sheet (attached) and see the study website: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school...t-cohort-study.

Complete the questionnaire directly here: https://bit.ly/2V8vBAj

Alternatively, when you register to take UCAT you will be asked if we (the research team) can contact you. Tick YES and we will send you a personalised link to the questionnaire for you to fill in once you book your test.
If you have already booked a UCAT test but have not received a personalised link, please complete the questionnaire directly here: https://bit.ly/2V8vBAj

Please only complete the questionnaire once.

Thank you in advance for assisting this important research project.

Thank you to the Student Room for allowing us to share our study on their website.

If you have any questions feel free to email the study [email protected]

The UK Medical Applicant Cohort Study is funded by the National Institute for Health Research (grant reference: CDF-2017-10-008) and based at UCL Medical School (UCL Research Ethics reference: 0511/014). The views expressed are those of the researchers and not necessarily those of the NIHR or the Department of Health and Social Care.
Reply 5
Hi, I'm just about to start 5th year. I've really loved my time at Keele! You'll have a great time if you come here. Great teaching, supportive environment, nice mixture of lectures/labs/practical work with early clinical exposure. Amazing teaching hospital.
Original post by onyx_87
Hi, I'm just about to start 5th year. I've really loved my time at Keele! You'll have a great time if you come here. Great teaching, supportive environment, nice mixture of lectures/labs/practical work with early clinical exposure. Amazing teaching hospital.

Congrats on completing 4 years so far!! I'm glad it's been a good experience! I was wondering how you found the uni, area of Keele in general as a place, the towns nearby and general living experience? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by angelscity
Congrats on completing 4 years so far!! I'm glad it's been a good experience! I was wondering how you found the uni, area of Keele in general as a place, the towns nearby and general living experience? :smile:

Thank you! The uni is lovely, especially the campus... it's the largest green campus in the UK, we've got Keele Hall on site too which is really beautiful and it has lots of woodland walks. Student union is good, they put on a lot of events and live music, as the campus is set back a couple of miles from the town (which is easily accessible). Having halls close to the SU is helpful, especially after a night out! They run a safety bus service, so you can get that home after a night out for free at the moment, to all halls and they also take people to local areas for free too.

Newcastle-under-Lyme (the local town) has got most things people need. The area may not be as affluent as others, but the people are very friendly here and I've not had any issues. You've got good transport links, so easy to get to Manchester and Birmingham if you want a bigger night out or better shopping or Xmas markets etc. The area is cheap to rent student properties too which is appealing. You've also got North Wales and the Peak District nearby as well if you like the outdoors. The SU have a lot of sports societies and other societies.. I did a degree previously to coming to Keele, which was in a city, and I'd say Keele have more things going on! It also has a nice community feel.
Original post by onyx_87
Thank you! The uni is lovely, especially the campus... it's the largest green campus in the UK, we've got Keele Hall on site too which is really beautiful and it has lots of woodland walks. Student union is good, they put on a lot of events and live music, as the campus is set back a couple of miles from the town (which is easily accessible). Having halls close to the SU is helpful, especially after a night out! They run a safety bus service, so you can get that home after a night out for free at the moment, to all halls and they also take people to local areas for free too.

Newcastle-under-Lyme (the local town) has got most things people need. The area may not be as affluent as others, but the people are very friendly here and I've not had any issues. You've got good transport links, so easy to get to Manchester and Birmingham if you want a bigger night out or better shopping or Xmas markets etc. The area is cheap to rent student properties too which is appealing. You've also got North Wales and the Peak District nearby as well if you like the outdoors. The SU have a lot of sports societies and other societies.. I did a degree previously to coming to Keele, which was in a city, and I'd say Keele have more things going on! It also has a nice community feel.

Ah that sounds so good!! Thank you for sharing all that info and I'm very glad you're enjoying your time there!
Reply 9
Any honest opinions on studying medicine at keele? and what is your opinion on the accommodation?
hi guys i was wondering if someone could answer my question. how is it that keele medical school is the 9th medical school in the uk but has quite low requirements.... i am applying there since my ucat was quite low for other uni's of a score of 647.5 avg and band 3. also if i do apply will i be assured a place if rest all goes well with the interview and r and r form, thanks
Regarding the selection process and requirements!
Hello all,

How significant is the number of hours you do in a certain area for the 'roles and responsibilities' for your application to Keele for medicine?

Any ideas or help would be great!
Hi, I'm a bit nervous about if I have enough work experience. I've seen past tsr forms where applicants have had the opportunity to work as e.g health care assistants? Would my work experience be good enough? I have been volunteering at a care home with patients with dementia for almost 2 years, reading with children for more than one year and also I have very involved in charity. I'm not sure as these aren't necessarily in professional environments, would these count?
The guidance notes for the R+R form produced by Keele Medical School states that: ''Maximum credit for duration of work experience is given for a total of more than 160 hours. Admissions tutors may choose to discount hours undertaken in roles that do not constitute significant engagement in caring for or supporting people with specific needs. If you have more than 160 hours’ experience it is better to concentrate on providing details of the experiences that required most commitment.'' So, I am confused here. I can't decide as to what entails the 160 hour mark. Should each of the four experiences listed be conducted for more that 160 hours or should the total number of hours from the four experiences be more than 160 hours?English is not my first language, so therefore, I am really struggling here! Any help would be highly appreciated
(edited 4 years ago)
Total should equate to 160hours or more.
Original post by As.1997
Total should equate to 160hours or more.

Thank you! :smile::smile:
Can someone tell me if it's worth applying to keele with number of hours and volunteering I have done.

Care home-based 157.5 another care home was 22 hrs can i put these in the same field tho together
Milestone academy special needs school 55hrs
Kumon working as a teaching assistant to children in maths and English as 179 hours... is this enough I am thinking of starting a charity that looks after disabled children aswell called forest pulse I could get about 5-10hrs work experience here.
Original post by Elissamoor123
Can someone tell me if it's worth applying to keele with number of hours and volunteering I have done.

Care home-based 157.5 another care home was 22 hrs can i put these in the same field tho together
Milestone academy special needs school 55hrs
Kumon working as a teaching assistant to children in maths and English as 179 hours... is this enough I am thinking of starting a charity that looks after disabled children aswell called forest pulse I could get about 5-10hrs work experience here.

As mentioned they state 160 hours or more for everything. Some applicants will have far more than that but nobody knows how they score the R&R form and whether the more the have the higher your score.

All your content here looks good for the form.
Original post by Laycity
As mentioned they state 160 hours or more for everything. Some applicants will have far more than that but nobody knows how they score the R&R form and whether the more the have the higher your score.

All your content here looks good for the form.

Thank you for reply do you think its worth trying to find a 4th work experience or should I just stick with my three?

Latest

Trending

Trending