The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get a 2.1 if you received a third or low 2.2 in second year?

If second year is equivalent to 20% and third year is equivalent to 80% what grades across 5 modules would you need to receive to achieve a 2.1?
your comment is pointless, there was simply no point of you commenting on this post if you're not willing to help. You clearly enjoy wasting your time.
Original post by Jasminexabx
your comment is pointless, there was simply no point of you commenting on this post if you're not willing to help. You clearly enjoy wasting your time.

Your post is pointless unless you provide all the relevant figures.
This is my post :wink:
Reply 4
If you're at uni and you cannot work it out, you're a lost cause
As per the above posts, work out what you have now and work out what you need to get a 2.1, its that simple.

You know how hard you're working. If you are working hard and only getting 3rds or low 2.2's then be realistic. You're going to need getting atleast decent 2.1's to get a 2.1 overall. Is that realistic for you?
If second year is equivalent to 20% and third year is equivalent to 80% what grades across 5 modules would you need to receive to achieve a 2.1?

Yes, it is entirely possible. You'll have to work your arse off in third year, however.
Let's say that a third/low 2.2 = 50%

0.2(50) + 0.8(y) = 60
50=0.8y
y= 62.5%

Therefore, if you get a 50% in your second year, you'd need 62.5% in your third year to get a 2.1 overall.

Thus, very achievable.

Furthermore, most unis have conventions for awarding classifications independently of the traditional % system, i.e. if you get 58% average but get 4 modules at 60%+ and the other at 50% you can still get a 2.1 overall. But this will depend on your uni's classification rules and best not to rely on this.
Original post by Palmyra
Let's say that a third/low 2.2 = 50%

0.2(50) + 0.8(y) = 60
50=0.8y
y= 62.5%

Therefore, if you get a 50% in your second year, you'd need 62.5% in your third year to get a 2.1 overall.

Thus, very achievable.

Furthermore, most unis have conventions for awarding classifications independently of the traditional % system, i.e. if you get 58% average but get 4 modules at 60%+ and the other at 50% you can still get a 2.1 overall. But this will depend on your uni's classification rules and best not to rely on this.

Thank you very helpful!
Original post by james_law
As per the above posts, work out what you have now and work out what you need to get a 2.1, its that simple.

You know how hard you're working. If you are working hard and only getting 3rds or low 2.2's then be realistic. You're going to need getting atleast decent 2.1's to get a 2.1 overall. Is that realistic for you?

Thank you, unfortunately i was taken ill almost all second year therefore only achieved 2.1's on modules at the end of the course which I could not get my prior grades higher as I was doing them on a whim basically. Hopefully jobs will take this into account.

But I think as you said its going to be hard work!
Thank you, unfortunately i was taken ill almost all second year therefore only achieved 2.1's on modules at the end of the course which I could not get my prior grades higher as I was doing them on a whim basically. Hopefully jobs will take this into account.

But I think as you said its going to be hard work!

I dont think he was being rude, simply pointing out why your post was lacking.

In working out grades universities follow rules, just find out where they are and apply them.

Assuming you read them correctly and accounted for all variations, then work out what you have for year 2 as 20%, then deduct that from the total score you need to achieve to get to 59.5%.

If you were ill then have you put in an extenuating circumstances claim? Why arent you resitting modules or even the year? That would be my preference.
Original post by 999tigger
I dont think he was being rude, simply pointing out why your post was lacking.

In working out grades universities follow rules, just find out where they are and apply them.

Assuming you read them correctly and accounted for all variations, then work out what you have for year 2 as 20%, then deduct that from the total score you need to achieve to get to 59.5%.

If you were ill then have you put in an extenuating circumstances claim? Why arent you resitting modules or even the year? That would be my preference.

My university is really strict on extenuating circumstances and because I was out the hospital and it had become more of a mental health issue regardless of the time I decided to sit I would have been in the same state of mind.

As well when my grandad passed away they did not take that as an extenuating circumstance as he was not my guardian. My University is unfair and its daunting as I could have probably got better grades if I were allowed to resit, when we resit we are only allowed to pass even if we achieved a 70 they'd make it a 40.

I've even offered to pay to resit modules, as I've heard other Universities accept this. but unfortunately I was not allowed.

I guess I'll just have to put in a lot of hours to achieve higher grades this year!
My university is really strict on extenuating circumstances and because I was out the hospital and it had become more of a mental health issue regardless of the time I decided to sit I would have been in the same state of mind.

As well when my grandad passed away they did not take that as an extenuating circumstance as he was not my guardian. My University is unfair and its daunting as I could have probably got better grades if I were allowed to resit, when we resit we are only allowed to pass even if we achieved a 70 they'd make it a 40.

I've even offered to pay to resit modules, as I've heard other Universities accept this. but unfortunately I was not allowed.

I guess I'll just have to put in a lot of hours to achieve higher grades this year!

MH is an extenuating circumstance just like a physical injury, but you need medical evidence. If you were affected by it then you should claim.
Grandads are not immediate family but it still depends on what the GP says.
Universities have absolute discretion so they can remove the cap for any resit and count it as first sit.
If you had a claim then you should put one in. In any event it favours you as the weighting is 20/80 so you can still do it.
Original post by Fuego1
If you're at uni and you cannot work it out, you're a lost cause

This.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending