The Student Room Group

Design

I’m doing textiles at gcse and I would like to do product Design at a level. Then I would like to go on to do interior architecture in uni.
Will I be able to cope not doing a gcse in dt ?
Which sixth forms do product Design in the Warwickshire area?
What other options would you advise I do at sixth form?( I am no good at art bearing in mind)
Original post by -lucyS-
I’m doing textiles at gcse and I would like to do product Design at a level. Then I would like to go on to do interior architecture in uni.
Will I be able to cope not doing a gcse in dt ?
Which sixth forms do product Design in the Warwickshire area?
What other options would you advise I do at sixth form?( I am no good at art bearing in mind)

My daughter is starting an Interior Architecture degree at Northumbria in September. She didn't do any art-related subjects at GCSE but did 3D Design at A level and then a Foundation Diploma in Art.

Not doing an art-related GCSE hasn't hindered her at all and she didn't struggle at A level. One thing I would say is that the universities we went to were very keen to see drawing skills as part of your portfolio so that is one area I'd focus on if you don't feel very confident at the moment.
Reply 2
Original post by ParentDeb
My daughter is starting an Interior Architecture degree at Northumbria in September. She didn't do any art-related subjects at GCSE but did 3D Design at A level and then a Foundation Diploma in Art.

Not doing an art-related GCSE hasn't hindered her at all and she didn't struggle at A level. One thing I would say is that the universities we went to were very keen to see drawing skills as part of your portfolio so that is one area I'd focus on if you don't feel very confident at the moment.

Thank you for this advice. I am really not great at the drawing side of things. How do you think I could improve my drawing skills in the next years?
Original post by -lucyS-
Thank you for this advice. I am really not great at the drawing side of things. How do you think I could improve my drawing skills in the next years?

My daughter took drawing classes outside of college and they really helped her. If you don’t have anything like that near you have a look at tutorials on YouTube and just keep practicing. Ask your art teachers to review your drawings.

The universities don’t expect you to be amazing at drawing but they will want to see some kind of drawing or sketching as part of your portfolio for interview.

All of the universities we visited ( Edinburgh, Northumbria, Lincoln, Leeds Beckett, Huddersfield, and Nottingham Trent) all spend time in the first year getting everyone up to the level they need to be drawing wise.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest