The Student Room Group

Help with A level selection

Math, Further Math, Econ and Sociology
I want to do Economics and hope to get into LSE and Cambridge.
I'm taking a fourth subject because I have further math. My question is will sociology make me less competitive? Especially for Cambridge.
No. Your first three make you competitive enough as long as you have maths, and with economic knowledge. Sociology also links into economics as does psychology.
Reply 2
Original post by Cheesybread
No. Your first three make you competitive enough as long as you have maths, and with economic knowledge. Sociology also links into economics as does psychology.

Thanks a lot for the reply. My other question is, do I absolutely need further math? Will I become less competitive without further math. If I end up not taking further math, I'll take a more hard subject.
I don't think that you do need it. It certainty helps, as you are going to be doing some parts of further maths in your degree, but just achieving the grades that they want is far more important. If you like maths enough do it. If not do something you enjoy and will be good at. Cause when getting into Cambridge of even oxford, the interviews are the most important part, so you just want to get through to them
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
Thanks a lot for the reply. My other question is, do I absolutely need further math? Will I become less competitive without further math. If I end up not taking further math, I'll take a more hard subject.
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS

Since you want to apply for Cambridge and LSE, doing Further Maths would be a very good idea (in particular the Cambridge economics course is very mathematical compared to other universities).

As for your question about Sociology, to be honest it is considered a 'soft subject' by some of the top universities, and I'd advise taking a facilitating subject in its place (facilitating subjects include physics, chemistry, biology, history, English, languages and a few others).

Quick Reply

Latest