The Student Room Group

How much for a basic brand new car

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
New car for 5k? Lol I'll have what you're smoking.

Dacia Sandero is your best bet
Original post by kkboyk
Yeah, what makes you think you can't?? Your insurance rate will depend on your driving history, the make and model of the vehicle, the level of coverage, and your insurance company.

Theft will be the least of your worries provided that you're responsible, not living in a dangerous area with high theft rate, not driving a car with high theft rate (luxury cars). By this I mean not leaving valuables inside your car, parking responsibly, locking your door etc. If you decide to buy a keyless car then the risk of theft is higher, so you'd have to invest in better security measures (e.g. steering wheel locks, tracking devices).

I just thought cus it's 2nd hand you wouldn't be able to get a free replacement if it was stolen but you can right? Yeah I'll be sure to be responsible I acc live on a council estate rn so it's not the best of areas but hopefully I'll be in a better area when I'm at uni
3,800 is not a bad price I'd take that for a first car tbf
2nd hand would be cheaper and you would save more money also why would you want a new car would it be to show off your wealth?
Original post by SavageRyan
2nd hand would be cheaper and you would save more money also why would you want a new car would it be to show off your wealth?

Ik and nah not to show off I just want an OK car
Due to eye watering insurance costs, you will not be able to run an OK car as your first car.
By an OK car I mean something like a Volvo with a D5 engine or a BMW with a 6 cylinder engine.

You will be forced into a small car with a small engine. At least untill you get 4 or 5 years no claims bonus.
Then you might be able to get insured on something like a BMW 330d.

As a long term plan, do your driving apprenticeship in something like a 15 year old £500 Toyota Yaris 1.0
Then once you've demonstrated you can drive without crashing, get a proper all round car like a 10 year old £6000 BMW 330d.

Invest any spare cash you have in something that will go up in value, like a house or a business. Avoid spending money on stuff that will plummet in value; like a brand new motor car.
I know the feeling. It is exciting thinking about the prospect of buying a brand NEW car. But put it this way, I am 19 work full time and earn just over £25,000 a year however I still had to put down a £7000 deposit and my repayments are over £300 a month plus another £150 a month for insurance which makes it £450 a month for 3 years. Okay yes I bought a "luxury" vehicle (Premium line AMG A200) retail of £32,000 but I know I can afford the repayments. If you are still at university I would not recommend buying a new car, you may want a new one but it is not financially sensible. If you were to apply for finance you would also need a regular income, a good credit score, a guarantor because of your age ...oh and you'd have to wait until you are 18 because finance is a credit product (debt).

You will not find a new car for £5000 even a basic model. One of the cheapest cars I can think of is a Hyundai i10 but even thats starts off at £10k. If I was you I would buy a 2010-2015 car which you would be able to afford on a £5000 budget. Something like a 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa, VW polo etc

You will be able to buy a new car in the future but ONLY when you have a full time Job and have a need for it. Not just because you want it. Sorry to be so blunt.
Original post by Mixedraceguy
Hey I'm 17 and I've decided that I wanna grow up and start studying for the driving theory exam and my parents said they will pay for my lessons and I have a 4 grand savings, 2.7 grand will go on my A level exams as I'm self teaching and the rest could go towards a whip and atm I'm saving about 400 a month so by next summer I should have another 5 grand I'm just wondering how much it would cost for a brand new basic car could I get ote decent for 5 grand? I don't want a second hand whip
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you really need a car? Use public transport with a few taxis/minicabs for those journeys say late at night. Much better keeping your money for other things than a car with high insurance costs, worries about theft/damage/accidents etc.
You're being foolish.

Firstly, as a young male, you're statistically highly likely to damage your car in the first year of driving, so buying something new makes no sense in that respect.
Secondly, the only brand new cars you're gonna be getting for £6k are little s***ters like a Dacia Sandero or Suzuki Celero - do you think anyone's going to be impressed by you driving a little old woman's car just because it's new?
Thirdly, the insurance will be astronomical for a new, young male driver with a brand new vehicle.
Lastly, why do you have such a problem with second hand cars when the extreme majority of people on the road drive used cars? You could get a respectable hatchback that's a few years old that's had one owner who leased it brand new or whatever, like a Fiesta, Focus, Golf etc. for £5-6k.
Firstly, you’ll be a new driver and make mistakes. You’ll possibly hit things, not maintain the car as well as other drivers and due to lack of experience misjudge roads.
You need a small engine and a pretty cheap car.
4/5 year old, <1.5L, small car. 5k tops. ABSOULTE TOPS.
Add in Insurance and there is 7k gone.

Can you afford £60 per tyre? £300/400 timing belt? Brake changes?

Silly advice imo suggesting a 330D. Tyres are far more expensive, 10 year old Diesel - Turbo is gonna go plus all other parts.
This is before we talk about the fact that this car could kill you. I was not as good a driver as I am now 6 years on. You’ll make mistakes, least in a 1L car you won’t be going as fast

Oh yes and i’ve not even mentioned the fact it’s rear wheel drive, what a great suggestion to a new driver in the UK’s climate

You’re thinking you’ll have 5/6k in the bank so that’s what you can spend.

That is NOT what you can spend.

I went to uni with 10k and by 3rd year had zero (started working at that point). Car and insurance was more than half of that.

Nothing wrong in a wee car and gives you so much freedom but buy what you an afford.
Most folk are in debt, you’re a student so don’t try and copy
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey guys thanks for the helpful advice I've decided that I'm gonna by a 2nd hand car for between 3.2 to 4 grand and save the 2 grand for insurance and of course I'll keep saving at least £400 a month
"Silly advice imo suggesting a 330D. Tyres are far more expensive, 10 year old Diesel - Turbo is gonna go plus all other parts.

This is before we talk about the fact that this car could kill you. I was not as good a driver as I am now 6 years on. You’ll make mistakes, least in a 1L car you won’t be going as fast"

Unistudent77, Have you driven or owned one? Bearing in mind my advice for getting one was part of a long term plan. Cheap little noddy car for 4 or 5 years to be driven carefully and safely. Followed by getting the sort of car that the OP wants now -- with both cars bought at reasonable cost. It's a case of the OP being patient and sensible with his money whilst retaining the valid ambition of getting a good car.

Also please bear in mind that the BMW 330d is but one example of the sort of car the OP could get in 4 years time. Volvo, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, etc have all been making great cars for years.

Any car can kill you. Although no one in the UK has ever died in a Volvo XC90. Not since they were introduced in 2002. The V8 and T8 XC90's are relatively high performance cars.

For someone that has driven for 4 years without crashing, a 330d or a V8 Volvo is a safer car than a 1.2 litre Vauxhall Corsa. For an idiotic teenaged racer type, the Corsa would be a safer car.

No responsible (good) driver drives fast on public roads in the UK. Fast driving is for the race track or the autobahn (I love them as a way of getting from A to B). However, the crisp acceleration of something like a 330d is a good safety feature when pulling out of junctions after a slight misjudgement or when driving on a busy uphill motorway and looking to make a tactical move to maximise the buffer of space around the car.

Tyres on a car where the owner keeps on top of wheel alignment should last for 20,000 to 40,000 miles. Paying £150 a corner instead of £60 a corner is a price that is well worth paying for the driving pleasure and comfort on offer in a 330d.

The turbo is not going to go on a 10 year old 330d. They are highly reliable 6 cylinder diesel engines. If you want an even more bullet proof engine get a Volvo D5.
£15,000 onwards. And because you are already spending £10k plus on a car you might as well get an electric car to avoid congestion charges and ultra low emission zones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending