The Student Room Group

Ask me anything about medicine - Imperial 1st year med student-to-be

Hello all, just got my results 3A*s (Bio 84%, Chem 94%, Maths 85%) at A levels. Going to study at Imperial College London. UKCAT/UCAT: 2950. BMAT: 5.6, 5.4, 3A. Ask me anything about the application process; willing to help!
How did you know medicine was for you?
What are your best pieces of advice for interview preparation and also managing year 13?
Reply 3
Great question! Out of every subject that I did at school, the sciences were always something I was deeply interested in. At the same time, I had a severe burn when I was 12, so I was able to see how the doctors worked as a team to help treat me successfully and I am forever grateful for their efforts. In hindsight, if I were in some countries like America, such an operation would have cost a couple of thousands of pounds, something that I took for granted for the time. I think that work experience at two hospitals and a GP fortified my decision and I just don't see myself doing any other profession if I am perfectly honest
Reply 4
Original post by DGeorge13
What are your best pieces of advice for interview preparation and also managing year 13?

Interview prep:
With regards to interview preparation for imperial, I would recommend (if you have not already been) to go to the open day and bring your phone so that you can record their 'mock interview'. If not, they post their general questions on their website which are:

. Motivation and a realistic approach to medicine as a career

. Capacity to deal with stressful situations
. Evidence of commitment to the values of the NHS constitution
. Evidence of working as both a leader and a team member
. Ability to multitask
. Likely contribution to university life
. Communication skills and maturity of character

The reason why I recommend going to record it is so that you can hear what a successful applicant (since they use an actual medical student in this sample interview) mentioned in their interview so you can pinch a few ideas. I would probably prepare a few points on each bullet point but I wouldn't recommend producing a script (as they sometimes may give you a curveball/ variation of the question which I got). The only real difference between each interview is the ethical scenario. For that, I would recommend going through the medical interview preparation book and also watching Ali Abdals videos on youtube (and making notes on them).

Time management:
Initially, at the start of year 13, I would come home and not produce any sort of plan and just do my homework and interview prep. Although this worked initially, it was mainly due to the fact that I did have a lot of pressure. I think at this stage, it's not much of an issue as long as you are still spending time on each subject. When preparing for my mocks, I did not do a lot of revision (procrastinated on youtube a lot) and the realisation hit once I only got AAA (need A*AA for Imperial) so I needed to change my mentality. I, Therefore, every day after the mocks I planned for the next day the night before; I wrote down all the things I needed to do that day and then gave them time slots in my schedule. Initially, my plans were utterly ridiculous as I thought I could do 14 hour revision days without a break. I realised that I needed to be more realistic so that I could actually follow my plan. In this way, not only did I complete my objectives, but I was also really satisfied when doing so and at the same time motivating me to do the same thing the next day.

Extras:
For Maths (for Edexcel normal maths) - Go through the textbook once and make sure you know the principles. Then, use physics and maths tutor and do all the C1, C2, C3, C4 papers and the specimen papers. i could not recommend that enough, it seriously improved my grade from a low A to a high A *

For Biology (I did Edexcel but still applies) - Try every night just to make a set of flashcards on maybe 2 pages of the textbook, so you can get all this info into your long term memory. Do this by reviewing your flashcards, initially every day, but once you have quite a few, there is no need (look at Ebbinghaus curves). Once you've been through the textbook, go to physics and maths tutor and do ALL the past papers and memorise the mark schemes. This worked for me, but if after a week you find this isn't effective try something else.

For Chemistry (AQA), just use Chemrevise and past papers. It honestly is AMAZING. My grades went from a mid A last year to 283/300 in my actual A level. Do all the most recent past papers (Maybe a few legacy papers for paper 3 multiple choice - these are not on physics and maths tutor though) from the Physics and maths tutor website.

hope this helps!
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi

Congratulations for getting into university and achieving those amazing grades!

Do you have any advice or tips for the personal statement and for doing well in the UCAT & BMAT? Plus, what extra-curriculars and super-curriculars did you do?
Original post by beryll
Interview prep:
With regards to interview preparation for imperial, I would recommend (if you have not already been) to go to the open day and bring your phone so that you can record their 'mock interview'. If not, they post their general questions on their website which are:

. Ability to multitask

The reason why I recommend going to record it is so that you can hear what a successful applicant (since they use an actual medical student in this sample interview) mentioned in their interview so you can pinch a few ideas. I would probably prepare a few points on each bullet point but I wouldn't recommend producing a script (as they sometimes may give you a curveball/ variation of the question which I got). The only real difference between each interview is the ethical scenario. For that, I would recommend going through the medical interview preparation book and also watching Ali Abdals videos on youtube (and making notes on them).

Time management:
Initially, at the start of year 13, I would come home and not produce any sort of plan and just do my homework and interview prep. Although this worked initially, it was mainly due to the fact that I did have a lot of pressure. I think at this stage, it's not much of an issue as long as you are still spending time on each subject. When preparing for my mocks, I did not do a lot of revision (procrastinated on youtube a lot) and the realisation hit once I only got AAA (need A*AA for Imperial) so I needed to change my mentality. I, Therefore, every day after the mocks I planned for the next day the night before; I wrote down all the things I needed to do that day and then gave them time slots in my schedule. Initially, my plans were utterly ridiculous as I thought I could do 14 hour revision days without a break. I realised that I needed to be more realistic so that I could actually follow my plan. In this way, not only did I complete my objectives, but I was also really satisfied when doing so and at the same time motivating me to do the same thing the next day.

Extras:
For Maths (for Edexcel normal maths) - Go through the textbook once and make sure you know the principles. Then, use physics and maths tutor and do all the C1, C2, C3, C4 papers and the specimen papers. i could not recommend that enough, it seriously improved my grade from a low A to a high A *

For Biology (I did Edexcel but still applies) - Try every night just to make a set of flashcards on maybe 2 pages of the textbook, so you can get all this info into your long term memory. Do this by reviewing your flashcards, initially every day, but once you have quite a few, there is no need (look at Ebbinghaus curves). Once you've been through the textbook, go to physics and maths tutor and do ALL the past papers and memorise the mark schemes. This worked for me, but if after a week you find this isn't effective try something else.

For Chemistry (AQA), just use Chemrevise and past papers. It honestly is AMAZING. My grades went from a mid A last year to 283/300 in my actual A level. Do all the most recent past papers (Maybe a few legacy papers for paper 3 multiple choice - these are not on physics and maths tutor though) from the Physics and maths tutor website.

hope this helps!

Thank you
Congrats man!! Imperial is my first choice for medicine as well.

What was the interview experience like? Any tips?
What did you do to revise for the BMAT? I've got around 40 days to revise for it after my UCAT, is that enough time?
Original post by beryll
Hello all, just got my results 3A*s (Bio 84%, Chem 94%, Maths 85%) at A levels. Going to study at Imperial College London. UKCAT/UCAT: 2950. BMAT: 5.6, 5.4, 3A. Ask me anything about the application process; willing to help
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by andromeda_galaxy
Hi

Congratulations for getting into university and achieving those amazing grades!

Do you have any advice or tips for the personal statement and for doing well in the UCAT & BMAT? Plus, what extra-curriculars and super-curriculars did you do?

Thanks! I worked very hard on my personal statement since I applied to Edinburgh (despite having a band 2 in SJT). I would recommend reading the book of personal statements by the ISC (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-into-Medical-School-statement/dp/1905812108/ref=sr_1_1?crid=30YG2XGD3YSI2&keywords=medicine+personal+statement&qid=1565970891&s=books&sprefix=medicine+pers%2Caps%2C134&sr=1-1). Obviously don't copy them word for word, but underline sentences that stand out from the page. I would recommend starting a few drafts now. If you are having work experience or have already had work experience, write down the skills that you saw the doctors used (e.g. effective communication, teamwork, etc). Do the same thing when at your voluntary work. This really makes writing the personal statement much easier. When writing at the start, you can write as much as you can that might be of significance and slowly reduce and start prioritising the more important points (I think I had at least 10 drafts). When asking people to look at your personal statement, it's good to have a few opinions (especially from doctors you may have met on work experience - try to get their email address) but obviously, don't ask everyone since each person has their own opinions.

UCAT: Just bash out Medify (it's not that expensive compared to the really expensive courses out there which personally had no impact on my UCAT score). For the QR, try going to a library (unless you already have a keyboard with the number pad) and just practising using it (http://www.typeonline.co.uk/number_pad_lesson1.html). This really helped me out as I was getting near full marks after I mastered using the calculator because when you can type rapidly, it saves a lot of time. VR I would say download some speed-reading apps and just practise daily or just reading a column in a newspaper and making a summary quickly in your head and testing yourself. AR all comes down to practise --> so just do all the questions on the Medify website.

BMAT: For the scientific section, they provide you with a CGP guide with all the fundamental science needed for section 2. For section 1, I used the 800 practice questions book initially and then BMAT ninja which were both very helpful. Especially with BMAT ninja, they provide worked solutions for the BMAT past papers. For section 3 which is the essay, I would just make sure you know the basic ethical principles (read a short introduction to medical ethics).

Extra-curricular wise I am a county badminton player and have achieved distinction in my piano diploma and grade 7 in organ. For super-curricular activities, I attended a mini medical school which was offered at Newcastle Uni (basically a series of medical lectures after school - only because I lieve in Newcastle) and there were also a few open medical lectures (one by Henry Marsh himself this year). I also mentioned a few books that I read.

Hope this helps!
Reply 9
Original post by beryll
Hello all, just got my results 3A*s (Bio 84%, Chem 94%, Maths 85%) at A levels. Going to study at Imperial College London. UKCAT/UCAT: 2950. BMAT: 5.6, 5.4, 3A. Ask me anything about the application process; willing to help!

Wow! Congratulations!
May I ask how your official past paper scores in practice, compared to your BMAT exam results? I understand this can vary greatly but thought I’d ask....
I’m giving BMAT on August 31st.
Well done again!
Reply 10
Original post by adnan1352
Congrats man!! Imperial is my first choice for medicine as well.

What was the interview experience like? Any tips?
What did you do to revise for the BMAT? I've got around 40 days to revise for it after my UCAT, is that enough time?

My interview was as expected - it was literally what is posted on the website:
. Ability to multitask

They usually ask questions based on these points so be ready with a few examples for each one but obviously, don't produce a script because there may be some variations in the questions. I think on the day, make sure you talk to the other applicants as it really does help to calm you down.

BMAT: For the scientific section, they provide you with a CGP guide with all the fundamental science needed for section 2. For section 1, I used the 800 practice questions book initially and then BMAT ninja which were both very helpful. Especially with BMAT ninja, they provide worked solutions for the BMAT past papers. For section 3 which is the essay, I would just make sure you know the basic ethical principles (read a short introduction to medical ethics).

UCAT: I would probably start now if you have 40 days - I think it will be just enough time. Just bash out Medify (it's not that expensive compared to the really expensive courses out there which personally had no impact on my UCAT score). For the QR, try going to a library (unless you already have a keyboard with the number pad) and just practising using it (http://www.typeonline.co.uk/number_pad_lesson1.html). This really helped me out as I was getting near full marks after I mastered using the calculator because when you can type rapidly, it saves a lot of time. VR I would say download some speed-reading apps and just practise daily or just reading a column in a newspaper and making a summary quickly in your head and testing yourself. AR all comes down to practise --> so just do all the questions on the Medify website.

Hope this helps :smile:
What did you get in your GCSE’s?
Congratulations on getting in! Was Imperial your first choice? 👍
Sorry if these questions have already been asked 😂
Original post by beryll
My interview was as expected - it was literally what is posted on the website:
. Ability to multitask

They usually ask questions based on these points so be ready with a few examples for each one but obviously, don't produce a script because there may be some variations in the questions. I think on the day, make sure you talk to the other applicants as it really does help to calm you down.

UCAT: I would probably start now if you have 40 days - I think it will be just enough time. Just bash out Medify (it's not that expensive compared to the really expensive courses out there which personally had no impact on my UCAT score). For the QR, try going to a library (unless you already have a keyboard with the number pad) and just practising using it (http://www.typeonline.co.uk/number_pad_lesson1.html). This really helped me out as I was getting near full marks after I mastered using the calculator because when you can type rapidly, it saves a lot of time. VR I would say download some speed-reading apps and just practise daily or just reading a column in a newspaper and making a summary quickly in your head and testing yourself. AR all comes down to practise --> so just do all the questions on the Medify website.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you!
Well done on getting into Imperial!!!! Congrats!!!:smile::biggrin::eek::wink::smile:

Does Imperial have a certain order of things they look at when choosing interviews and offers?
WOOOOWWW!! You got three A*. That's amazing!! How did you revise for bio, chem and maths and resources for them? And when did you start properly revising for them??
Original post by beryll

What are you looking forward to the most, and what are you looking forward to the least?
Congratulations! Amazing results and now you’re into one of the greatest universities!
How comparative did you find BMAT practice paper scores to your actual scores in the exam?
Thank you
Reply 16
Original post by beryll

Congrats. Do you have any tips on tackling bmat section critical thinking questions, like how did you study for it? Also how did you study for section 2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending