The Student Room Group

How important are A-Levels in the long run?

Hello everyone! Results day has obviously passed, and I was very disappointed with my results. However, I am going to Keele University this September to study Geology, and I am extremely excited to start this new chapter of my life.

I just wanted to ask: How important are A-Levels in the long run? I plan on doing a degree, masters and then hopefully a PhD one day. I just want to know, once I get my degree and masters, how significant a role A-Levels will play in regards to employability. Several things unfolded during my A-Levels that I know had a part to play in me underachieving, and I like to think that I will prosper during my time at uni. Still, I don't want my A-Levels to hold me back. I passed all of my subjects, and I would really prefer to not have to retake them.

If anyone who has perhaps already finished their degree or knows much about this, I would be very grateful to hear a response!
The employers look at your highest qualifications first (normally the highest two) so they will probably only consider it when choosing between two people with similar qualifications and experience.
Reply 2
Original post by gabrielle_m_sm
Hello everyone! Results day has obviously passed, and I was very disappointed with my results. However, I am going to Keele University this September to study Geology, and I am extremely excited to start this new chapter of my life.

I just wanted to ask: How important are A-Levels in the long run? I plan on doing a degree, masters and then hopefully a PhD one day. I just want to know, once I get my degree and masters, how significant a role A-Levels will play in regards to employability. Several things unfolded during my A-Levels that I know had a part to play in me underachieving, and I like to think that I will prosper during my time at uni. Still, I don't want my A-Levels to hold me back. I passed all of my subjects, and I would really prefer to not have to retake them.

If anyone who has perhaps already finished their degree or knows much about this, I would be very grateful to hear a response!

Don't worry at all about your A-Levels! You're in university and that's the main thing if you're looking to go onto a PhD (and a Masters in between I assume?). Focus on doing well in your undergraduate degree, that's what universities will focus on when you apply for your postgraduate degrees so a high 2:1/First is what's going to give you the edge, not your A-Levels.

Don't dwell on your A-Levels too much and just enjoy university! You're headed in the right direction :smile:
Original post by kljkhj
Don't worry at all about your A-Levels! You're in university and that's the main thing if you're looking to go onto a PhD (and a Masters in between I assume?). Focus on doing well in your undergraduate degree, that's what universities will focus on when you apply for your postgraduate degrees so a high 2:1/First is what's going to give you the edge, not your A-Levels.

Don't dwell on your A-Levels too much and just enjoy university! You're headed in the right direction :smile:

Thank you so much! That has come as a relief. Thankfully my lacklustre grades have fueled my motivation to exceed at uni. Thank you for your kind words!
Original post by FlameKitty
The employers look at your highest qualifications first (normally the highest two) so they will probably only consider it when choosing between two people with similar qualifications and experience.

Thank you! That's nice to know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest