The Student Room Group

Cant do the a levels I wanted. Should I resit gcse

So over the past 2 years I have been ill and a few other things have happened which has meant I haven’t been able to get the gcse grades that I wanted. I have always wanted to do health and social care, a level chemistry and a level biology. I was moved to the foundation paper so the maximum I could get is a grade 5 in combined science, fast forward to today and the only GCSE grades I got were4-4 in combined science 4 in mathsL2P in business Failed English language, literature, history and rs I understand that you need a grade 6/7 to do a level biology and chemistry and I spoke to my teachers about it but because I didn’t do well I am now doing health and social care, travel and tourism and business which whilst okay I only really want to do science. I don’t want to have to retake GCSEs but I am really stuck as to what I should do. Any advice is appreciated.
Minus the "illness and few other things" would you have honestly and realistically gotten higher grades? The entry requirements are there for a reason- simply, if you can't achieve them at GCSEs, your chances of passing that subject at A-level are grim. However I know a girl at my collage who also didn't meet the requirements at GCSE due to illness but as she was predicted higher grades before, the college allowed her to study her chosen subjects anyway and she retook the needed GCSEs in November. Another only sat her English and Maths this summer, I'm not 100% sure why but similar circumstances I think (she is studying maths A-level so found the GCSE a breeze).

This depends on your chosen sixth form, I appreciate the one I go to is incredibly supportive when it comes to odd study programmes, retaking GCSEs, mixing second and first year courses etc. but maybe talk to them about it.

Quick Reply

Latest