The Student Room Group

Government and Politics A-Level - what's it like?

Omg I'm so used to the placing of the GCSE forums that my brain automatically shifts there but now I'm posting in A-Level and it fEeLs wEiRD :lol:

Anyway, question is in the title. I have no proper context since I didn't originally apply for it and Google's a bit vague.

Thanks in advance! :borat:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!
I am entering year 13 in September and have just finished my first year studying AQA Gov and Politics.
I won't lie, the course is PACKED with content. The course itself is very interesting, the things you learn about (eg the EU, the executive, judiciary and legislature of the US and UK, civil rights etc) is usually very topical and links to every day society. You'll start off learning about the constitutions of both countries in order to have an understanding of the basis of politics in each. Its very slightly dry but stick with it, it gets more interesting trust me.
To succeed, you really need to be able to retain information. In the exams, you get marked for AO1, AO2 and AO3 marks. AO1 marks are knowledge marks. This means including facts and figures to demonstrate you really know what you're talking about. Your teacher will make sure you're clear on how to show this, but a good retention of information is really quite paramount.
The first 2 exams are comprised of 3 9 mark questions, a 25 mark source question and a 25 mark essay. If you dont like essays, its really not the subject for you.
You'll spend a lot of your independent learning time completing practice questions (which I hate doing, but you kind of have to).
I hope you enjoy the course and that this has helped! If you have any more questions, please just ask :smile:
Original post by RazzzBerries
Omg I'm so used to the placing of the GCSE forums that my brain automatically shifts there but now I'm posting in A-Level and it fEeLs wEiRD :lol:

Anyway, question is in the title. I have no proper context since I didn't originally apply for it and Google's a bit vague.

I finished my A level Politics course, got my result last week. It’s been a tough 2 years, politics has been one of my toughest a levels. Even though the content itself is relatively easy to understand, there is so so much content and things to remember. However, if you’re good at essays, and are willing to revise hard and read a lot, you will be fine. But the course itself is interesting and you learn a lot. I think you should go for it, it’s good. First year is not that bad, but second year gets ridiculous. Too much to remember. But again, if you’re willing to revise very hard and if you think you won’t be tired of continuous essay writing, then definitely go for coz it’s interesting.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sophswfc
Hi!
I am entering year 13 in September and have just finished my first year studying AQA Gov and Politics.
I won't lie, the course is PACKED with content. The course itself is very interesting, the things you learn about (eg the EU, the executive, judiciary and legislature of the US and UK, civil rights etc) is usually very topical and links to every day society. You'll start off learning about the constitutions of both countries in order to have an understanding of the basis of politics in each. Its very slightly dry but stick with it, it gets more interesting trust me.
To succeed, you really need to be able to retain information. In the exams, you get marked for AO1, AO2 and AO3 marks. AO1 marks are knowledge marks. This means including facts and figures to demonstrate you really know what you're talking about. Your teacher will make sure you're clear on how to show this, but a good retention of information is really quite paramount.
The first 2 exams are comprised of 3 9 mark questions, a 25 mark source question and a 25 mark essay. If you dont like essays, its really not the subject for you.
You'll spend a lot of your independent learning time completing practice questions (which I hate doing, but you kind of have to).
I hope you enjoy the course and that this has helped! If you have any more questions, please just ask :smile:

Thanks so much, this was really helpful! If I'm not mistaken, I think I'll be with Edexcel, but of course, now I know who to come to for help hehe!
Best of luck for year 13! :hugs:

Original post by anonymousamk
I finished my A level Politics course, got my result last week. It’s been a tough 2 years, politics has been one of my toughest a levels. Even though the content itself is relatively easy to understand, there is so so much content and things to remember. However, if you’re good at essays, and are willing to revise hard and read a lot, you will be fine. But the course itself is interesting and you learn a lot. I think you should go for it, it’s good. First year is not that bad, but second year gets ridiculous. Too much to remember. But again, if you’re willing to revise very hard and if you think you won’t be tired of continuous essay writing, then definitely go for coz it’s interesting.

Thank you! Uh oh, 2nd year doesn't sound great but I'm willing to work hard. What did you get, if you don't mind me asking? I'm sure you did fab :yep:
I got an A. I’m not the smartest person but this grade shows that if you work hard it can be done. I did edexcel btw
(edited 4 years ago)
I did it and honestly it's a pretty easy A Level. All you have to do is memorise the content (there's not an awful lot compared to other subjects like History or Economics) and do loads of practice essays (your teacher can give you questions) and you'll get an A.
Original post by anonymousamk
I got an A. I’m not the smartest person but this grade shows that if you work hard it can be done. I did edexcel btw

Yay congratulations!

FACTS :yes:

Cool, I'll probably have to come to you when I get confused haha.
Original post by _polaroid
I did it and honestly it's a pretty easy A Level. All you have to do is memorise the content (there's not an awful lot compared to other subjects like History or Economics) and do loads of practice essays (your teacher can give you questions) and you'll get an A.

YAYAYAYAY

I’m taking Politics alongside History and Maths and was wondering what people think of the subject?
Heyy, I'm also in the same boat. I made a thread earlier and some people gave me replies. You might want to have a look at it!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100318
It is a good one to understand the basics and the political theories. This subject was one of the reasons I am still interest in politics.

First, what happened to you keyboard? see the words in bold print. What I can remember about this are the political theories (Keynesian economics and neo-liberal economics) and a lot of political discussions about global politics. Per se a nice subject I had, as I like to discuss and to share my liberal and open-minded thoughts in the lessons. And if you feel the same, it may a good choice for you at A levels.
Heyy, I'm also in the same boat. I made a thread earlier and some people gave me replies. You might want to have a look at it!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100318

Did that on purpose :lol:. Have you seen the memes with alternative caps?

Sounds good! I have picked it so I'll see what it's like in the first few weeks. :yep:

Original post by Kallisto
First, what happened to you keyboard? see the words in bold print. What I can remember about this are the political theories (Keynesian economics and neo-liberal economics) and a lot of political discussions about global politics. Per se a nice subject I had, as I like to discuss and to share my liberal and open-minded thoughts in the lessons. And if you feel the same, it may a good choice for you at A levels.
Original post by sophswfc
Hi!

Wawaw
Did that on purpose :lol:. Have you seen the memes with alternative caps?

Sounds good! I have picked it so I'll see what it's like in the first few weeks. :yep:

You have to be up to date with current politics to be good at it later on, as some works refer to political issues partly. Just to mention it.
Was a great subject. Quite a bit of content not as much as history. A2 is soooo much harder than AS though. Has lead me to start studying politics at uni in September :smile:
Original post by Kallisto
You have to be up to date with current politics to be good at it later on, as some works refer to political issues partly. Just to mention it.

I see, thanks for the heads up! :yep: :hugs:
Original post by Prussianxo
Was a great subject. Quite a bit of content not as much as history. A2 is soooo much harder than AS though. Has lead me to start studying politics at uni in September :smile:

Oh wow, that's a cool success story! Thanks for sharing. :h:
Don’t do it but my mates who do said it’s one of them subjects that you either love or hate. I believe the essay structure is a bit weird but that could also just be because our teachers didn’t show them how to structure their writing until Year 13

Quick Reply

Latest