The Student Room Group

Need help for references, never been employed

Currently in the process for a job position. I received an email today from XRef asking about my references.. it mentions that I list someone that have known me for the last 3 years, so I'm thinking of my college teacher. Then it mentions that I list someone else who knows me outside of work, and I have no one. I have never been employed before, never worked in my entire life. I'm struggling on who I can put down, it says I can't use a family or friend.

I was thinking of using two of my old teachers at college, will that be suitable? Because I don't know any one else who I could possibly use. It also mentions in the email of some examples I could get references from eg, doctor, bank, social worker etc.. but I don't know any of them.

I need help, any advice would be useful.
(edited 4 years ago)
College would be a good idea, and my college regularly does references for students. Have you ever done work experience? If so, try and contact your contact person and ask if they can do you a reference
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
College would be a good idea, and my college regularly does references for students. Have you ever done work experience? If so, try and contact your contact person and ask if they can do you a reference

I got in touch with my college by making an enquiry but they haven't got back to me yet. Tried emailing my old tutor but the message didn't deliver. I have done work experience before so what I should tell them when I ring them up?
Original post by Phoenixfeather99

Could I just use two of my lectures at uni? Would that be suitable?
Original post by commentsection
Could I just use two of my lectures at uni? Would that be suitable?

Yes, also coach at any sports club, music teacher, faith leader, DofE leader, any volunteering leader?
I'll be your reference, don't worry I'll put in a good word for you 😂😂
Original post by Gatewaymerge
I'll be your reference, don't worry I'll put in a good word for you 😂😂

Really? Lol
Currently in the process for a job position. I received an email today from XRef asking about my references.. it mentions that I list someone that have known me for the last 3 years, so I'm thinking of my college teacher. Then it mentions that I list someone else who knows me outside of work, and I have no one. I have never been employed before, never worked in my entire life. I'm struggling on who I can put down, it says I can't use a family or friend.

I was thinking of using two of my old teachers at college, will that be suitable? Because I don't know any one else who I could possibly use. It also mentions in the email of some examples I could get references from eg, doctor, bank, social worker etc.. but I don't know any of them.

Have you done any volunteering or work experience anywhere?
Have you been a member of a clubs or societies?
If so, you could put someone from there.
If the worst comes to the worst you could put 2 college tutors.
Reply 8
A Driving Instructor could be one if you drive or learning to drive?
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi,

You can use your college subject teacher as your first reference but make sure you ask their permission first. For your second reference, you can use your personal tutor at college or if you had any work experience or volunteering opportunities you can ask one of your managers. I would recommend your personal tutor. Make sure to get their permission first.

Hope this helps:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending