The Student Room Group

Job contract/no contract help

Probably not the place to ask but thought I'd give it a go.

I've been working in a school for 3 years via an agency. Around 6 weeks ago I interviewed for a permanent job and got it. I started it a week later. My current role is a mixture of my agency role and this new role. My pay hasn't changed (I'm still getting paid by the agency for the original role) and I don't have a contract still. The school talks like I am employed by them now and want me to stay after school for various stuff. However, as I am being paid by the agency, my hours are 8:30 am to 15:30. Do I need to stay until 6pm like they are asking?
Original post by SophiaAlexx

I've been working in a school for 3 years via an agency. Around 6 weeks ago I interviewed for a permanent job and got it. I started it a week later. My current role is a mixture of my agency role and this new role. My pay hasn't changed (I'm still getting paid by the agency for the original role) and I don't have a contract still. The school talks like I am employed by them now and want me to stay after school for various stuff. However, as I am being paid by the agency, my hours are 8:30 am to 15:30. Do I need to stay until 6pm like they are asking?

If you have no signed legal contract then no
Reply 2
Would this mean that if I have changed my mind about the role, I can leave as I am still with the agency?

What you are saying doesn't make sense. No employer takes someone on in a permanent role and then pays them through an agency. You need to sort out what your terms are under the agency, and what they are from the school. It would be very unusual (can't think of any reason) why the school would ever partially employ you directly and partially by an agency, given they are probably paying the agency something like £5 per hour in addition to your pay.

You need to speak to people and keep asking questions until you understand how you are being employed.

Whether you have signed a contract or not is irrelevant, the contract is created by habitual practice.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
What you are saying doesn't make sense. No employer takes someone on in a permanent role and then pays them through an agency. You need to sort out what your terms are under the agency, and what they are from the school. It would be very unusual (can't think of any reason) why the school would ever partially employ you directly and partially by an agency, given they are probably paying the agency something like £5 per hour in addition to your pay.

You need to speak to people and keep asking questions until you understand how you are being employed.

Whether you have signed a contract or not is irrelevant, the contract is created by habitual practice.

I was/ am working as an LSA in a school but this role would have ended in July when the student I support transfers to a new school. Until he leaves, I'm doing part that and part new role. I haven't signed any contract but have been doing both jobs for around 5 weeks (ish). I'm not partially employed, I'm still being paid exactly the same via the agency. My pay hasn't increased or anything. They've tole me that my contract is still being written (but it's been around 3 weeks now). The school knows I have this new role and I'm referred to as it but I'm really confused about the whole thing. It's hard to ask questions as the person in charge is always busy/or in a mood. I've worked in many schools for around 10 years now and I've never known a school that does things like this one.
I was/ am working as an LSA in a school but this role would have ended in July when the student I support transfers to a new school. Until he leaves, I'm doing part that and part new role. I haven't signed any contract but have been doing both jobs for around 5 weeks (ish). I'm not partially employed, I'm still being paid exactly the same via the agency. My pay hasn't increased or anything. They've tole me that my contract is still being written (but it's been around 3 weeks now). The school knows I have this new role and I'm referred to as it but I'm really confused about the whole thing. It's hard to ask questions as the person in charge is always busy/or in a mood. I've worked in many schools for around 10 years now and I've never known a school that does things like this one.

So are you doing the same number of hours you were doing when working entirely for the agency?
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
So are you doing the same number of hours you were doing when working entirely for the agency?

Yes, I'm there 5 days a week but the hours are split different. I do 14 hours LSA and then 11 for the other role.
Yes, I'm there 5 days a week but the hours are split different. I do 14 hours LSA and then 11 for the other role.

So it looks like you have agreed (by virtue of actually doing it) to drop some of the Agency hours, take on some of the school hours and you have not negotiated any change in pay, so you are just getting paid by the agency.

That is to your detriment if the school work is of greater value than the agency work.
It's likely of detriment to the school as they are paying agency fees on all your hours, which are probably higher than any rise you would have got.
It's excellent for the Agency who are still making fees from all your hours.
Reply 8
I think the problem is the kid I'm still supporting needs someone until July but they can't get anyone from the agency for those particular hours-he needs support in P.E for example but not every lesson. When I was working it out it's not that much more-the new role compared to the old one. I think it's like £12 more a week. I'm not saying I don't want £48 more a month but it's the reason I haven't really questioned it until now. They're asking me to stay behind after work for various things and I don't know if I can question it because I'm still with the agency and the work day ends at 15:30. Additionally, I haven't been enjoying the role and I am considering leaving and just staying with the agency and going to a different school, perhaps as a cover supervisor. However, I am not sure if I would need to give them notice.
I think the problem is the kid I'm still supporting needs someone until July but they can't get anyone from the agency for those particular hours-he needs support in P.E for example but not every lesson. When I was working it out it's not that much more-the new role compared to the old one. I think it's like £12 more a week. I'm not saying I don't want £48 more a month but it's the reason I haven't really questioned it until now. They're asking me to stay behind after work for various things and I don't know if I can question it because I'm still with the agency and the work day ends at 15:30. Additionally, I haven't been enjoying the role and I am considering leaving and just staying with the agency and going to a different school, perhaps as a cover supervisor. However, I am not sure if I would need to give them notice.

If they are asking you to do extra hours, then you need to ask them if they are prepared to sign them off with the agency. Quite likely the person asking you to stay on has no idea about your contract, has just heard you are working for the school now and thinks you are paid accordingly.
Reply 10
I'll definitely mention it tomorrow, thank you for all your replies. But in regards to the person asking me to stay on after work-they are the one who books me from the agency, did the interview and told me the contract is being written.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending