The Student Room Group

Growing my Grades and avoiding the thorns - My Journey through Year 12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roseiee
Thank you so much! I'm more an essay person reallyso they don't bother me too much, I really like your GYG could I be tagged?

sure! Good luck with everything :smile:
Hey,I started sixth form last week as well.Good luck for a-levels!
Reply 22
Original post by XViconX
Hey,I started sixth form last week as well.Good luck for a-levels!

Thanks! you too
I love this!! Add me to the tag list please. Good luck with sixth form.

And I also have a gyg at: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6123132 Feel free to check it out!
Reply 24
:redrose:Entry 2: 19th September 2019:redrose:

Overall

I feel like it's been forever since I last posted (and it kinda has :colondollar:). Work kind of caught up with me, I feel like I'm constantly exhausted I just get home and collapse into my bed most days. Does anyone fel like that or is it just me? All in all, I do enjoy sixth form life I went to a separate sixth form so it's a very relaxed atmosphere which is nice.

I've finally managed to pick up a book again and it feels so good, I've started reading 'It' and I can definitely recommend Steven King he's amazing.

Law

A lot of people have said they don't enjoy Law but it's actually my favourite subject so much so that I'm considering going into law as a degree. That's not to say it's not hard though I have to keep going over and over stuff. We've gone over criminal and civil law and are currently learning about precedent. I sounds boring but its actually surprisingly interesting. One thing that sucks is how many case studies we have to remember, they're all so specific.

Geography

This is my one true bane in life, geography is so hard honestly I have to go over and over how stupid earthquakes are formed... it's so much more complicated than you'd think. I do like my teacher though. It takes me a long time to fully remember stuff but when I do its so satisfying.

Psychology

Psychology is... interesting I enjoy learning about the case studies it's just the studying and exam questions that annoy me, though I suppose that is to be expected of all my subjects. My teacher's grand and I enjoy the lessons.

Enrichment

My school does something called Enrichment activities where we basically do mandatory activities on an evening after school. I chose knitting and manga club, I know I sound like an old granny but it's actually so relaxing.

Onwards through the thorns of sixth form life

~Roseiee
Reply 25
Week 4

Sixth form is...something. My back hurts, I'm tired and I just want to play Mario cart in peace without feeling like my study life is draining away.

Psychology

Psychology is a lot honestly. There are so many case studies and their connecting theories that my bag looks like I nicked it off a year 7. I got my test back and I didn't get that good a grade but I if I look on the good side it means there's room to grow, right?

Geography

Geography the one piece of hope that still flickers in my dreary life (Eh, maybe I should have done English :biggrin:). I got full marks in my recent essay and my teacher called me "a star" in front of the whole class. Which was 1. highly embarrassing but 2. made me feel like I was walking on air, I'm more used to that whole "oh if you did this very specific thing you would have done a whole lot better" situation.

Law

I'm gonna admit something embarrassing but there's a really pretty girl in my law class meaning aI look forward to it a whole lot more and if she even looks at me I get all nervous because I am clearly touch starved. Anyways the lessons are quite good we've had our first test but we haven't got it back yet.

Clubs

I joined the book club! I was actually really nervous since none of my friends would agree to go with me. We're reading 'The seven deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle' which is a bit weird but overall pretty good, I'm only halfway through though.

I'm also in the anime and manga club which was really chill actually we talked about what we were watched an episode of an anime.

Tags List

Spoiler

Reply 26
:redrose:Week 17: The comeback:redrose:

Hello Again! If anyone has read this then you probably never expected me to come back, and I don’t blame you :laugh:. But! Recently I have been getting my life back on track after having been in a bit of a slump and I thought I should continue this as it ideally will help me grow as a learner :crossedf:
“Every sunset is an opportunity to reset.”
Richie Norton

Well, I suppose let’s get this show back on the road:

Geography:

Currently, we are covering the topic regeneration - which despite most of my classmates I love (probably because I dislike physical geography but oh well). Essentially what we went over was the pros and cons of hyper-globalisation which largely overlap (for every con there’s a pro and vice-versa). And then of Friday, my teacher decided to do a 180 and we went over revision techniques which was quite relaxing as sometimes Geog just seems to run me over with information. Like for example, we get an essay every fortnight which affects your grade. It works in theory but I wasn’t in for a lesson and so wasn’t allowed to give mine in so my grade dropped.:ashamed2:
“So what do we do? Anything. Something. So long as we just don't sit there. If we screw it up, start over. Try something else. If we wait until we've satisfied all the uncertainties, it may be too late.”
Lee Iacocca

Psychology:

Ok, I cant lie Psychology definitely hasn’t been pulling any punches lately and I haven’t been doing too well in it lately. When I took the subject I naively assumed it would be my easiest subject however that is not the story:bird:. I believe my problem is that since I’m not doing well I don’t enjoy it and so I avoid it when studying, it’s cyclical. But! I have started doing a set of questions every night in hopes to improve but only time will tell I suppose. At least we’re doing biological psychology which I can understand fairly easily.

“This is life. Things get taken away. You will learn to start over many times -- or you will be useless.”
Mitch Albom, The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto

Law:

Law is the only lesson I look forward to at the moment. We have just moved onto criminal law and we’re doing some of the really interesting stuff now:biggrin:. Stuff like “Carol was in a hurry down a canal and accidentally pushes George into the canal where he hits his head and fractures his skull is Carol liable?” and this stuff is just so cool because you have to turn over each word and explain it without missing anything. Unfortunately in about two weeks, I have a test which I look forward to less.

“Whatever wrong turns you've taken in life you can always start over and find your way back to happiness.”
Marty Rubin

Bits and Bobs:

I have parents evening :boring:next week which I think I will always dread because my mum is never on my side she’ll always tell my teachers that I never study ect ect (which isn’t true). I currently reading “IT” for book club though I’m listening to it on an audiobook because it is heavy. It’s actually my first audiobook but its gonna take a while because its 44 hrs long and I think if I was properly reading it would take me less.

Tags List

Spoiler

I get what you mean about getting your life back on track, college is so much work :colonhash:
I kind of prefer it over the stress of year 11,3 subjects are way less work than 9
Hey, good luck with year 12!! Would mind you adding me to the tag list? Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending