The Student Room Group

How to cope with failing a module at university

Hi, I think I'm going to fail a module, or only just about pass it. All of my other modules have been 1st class grades, so this one bad grade is dragging my average down a fair amount. I'm absolutely devastated about this, does anyone have any advice on how to cope with this?
Original post by lemonadetea
Hi, I think I'm going to fail a module, or only just about pass it. All of my other modules have been 1st class grades, so this one bad grade is dragging my average down a fair amount. I'm absolutely devastated about this, does anyone have any advice on how to cope with this?

What year are you in? Or, more importantly, does this year count towards your final degree classification?

Have your other modules been just over the 1st boundary, meaning that this one module (presumably around 40% if you scrape a pass), will drag you down to a 2:1?

When you've worked out the impact on your average, have you factored in the credits that each modules is worth?

Finally, have you read your university's academic regulations? It is not uncommon to see them average the best 90 credits in a year (meaning one bad module won't impact your average).

Hi @lemonadetea,
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with this module. It's important to remember that one bad grade doesn't define your overall academic performance. Talk to your teacher or personal tutor (if you have one in your university) about your concerns and see if there are any resources or support available to help you improve. It's also important to take care of yourself and manage your stress during this time. Remember to take breaks, practice self-care, and reach out to friends or family for support. You can do this!

Remember that difficulties are always new opportunities to grow :smile:

Good luck!

- Ilya :rolleyes:

Hello @lemonadetea [br] I hope you’re well & I’m sorry to hear about this! You know what, it’s okay. It’s always a shock to the system when you get lower grades then you’re used to, but sometimes that just happens.

I would advise you to read through your feedback throughly and take any advice they’ve given, and see if there’s any further support you can get for any other future assignments. But sit tight, your grade might pleasantly surprise you! In the future, if you feel like you might struggle, identify this early and speak to academic tutors or librarians to see if they can give you any help :smile:

Good luck
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi @lemonadetea

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been stressed about your grades! :frown: First, I’d like to offer some reassurance that quite a few universities only count your top 90-100 credits towards your grade, so you can fail a module and still get a really impressive grade! So maybe try and get a read on how your course measures and weighs it to see if it’s something you can then put to the back of your mind!

Secondly, if you’re struggling mentally about this, I would definitely recommend getting in touch with your university’s Wellbeing team and attending a few sessions with them. They can help you to cope with what you’re feeling and give you some helpful advice on how to manage.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Estelle
Second Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Hello lemonadetea,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time. Failing or struggling with a module can be a challenging experience, especially if you're used to achieving high grades.

Here are some tips on how to cope with this situation:

Take some time to process your emotions: It's okay to feel upset, disappointed, or frustrated. Allow yourself to feel these emotions, and don't try to suppress them. Acknowledge how you're feeling and be kind to yourself.

Seek support: Talk to someone about how you're feeling, whether it's a friend, family member, or counselor. They can provide you with emotional support and help you work through your feelings.

Identify what went wrong: Try to figure out why you struggled with this particular module. Did you not understand the material, did you not manage your time well, or did you have other issues going on in your life? Identifying the problem can help you avoid making the same mistake in the future.

Learn from your mistakes: Use this experience as an opportunity to learn and grow. Take note of what you did wrong and what you could have done differently. Use this knowledge to improve your study habits and performance in the future.

Focus on the positive: Remember that one bad grade does not define you or your abilities. You have achieved high grades in your other modules, which is a great accomplishment. Focus on your strengths and continue to work hard towards your goals.

Remember that setbacks are a natural part of the learning process. Don't be too hard on yourself, and take the time you need to recover and move forward.

Warm Regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Ambassador
MSc Business Analytics
I failed a module (biomechanics) on my first degree. well voer half the group did. I looked at what I'd maybe done wrong in terms of study behaviours and redid the module alongside my 2nd year modules.

Nearly flunked a module in second year of my current degree, did the same. In terms of looking at what I did and how I did it. Then applied those lessons learned to the following modules.

Don't beat yourself up.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi,

I understand that most of our greatest fear is failure (including me). However, looking at it from a better view, failure actually makes one stronger, it brings that morale needed to get the desired grade. Failing a course is not the end of the world neither is it the end of the school’s journey.
To pass through this disappointing phase, here are some tips you should take;

Firstly, you shouldn’t bottle up your emotions. Let it out if you need to. It’s disappointing to see the “F” letter and so, I suggest you pour the emotions or speak to someone about it if need be.

You can go out with friends, see a movie or play games to let the emotions out of your head. That way, you will be able to move on and not dwell in it.

Again, retrace your steps. Consider all you didn’t do right that led you to the spot and get a better strategy. If you were missing classes (which I know is very vital in order to pass), attend all. If you are the type that fails to submit assignments, change this time and do them ahead of the deadline.

Lastly, READ. Draft a better reading time table that will help you cover all that is required before your exams. If you previously read once a week, this time make it three times a week. Also, ask questions when you find things difficult to understand. Meet a colleague or a lecturer for better clarification.

Maybe as a result of unseriousness or ill health or omission of certain criteria in order to pass, you in the end failed a course. Do not stop there! Do not give up! See it as a mere challenge and move on.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending