The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official OXFORD 2020 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Well, the time is here!

I'll be applying for the MsC in Social Anthropology at Oxford, looking toward the 1 + 3 (Msc into DPhil) option.

Last year I was accepted onto the MPhil course and into St Anthony's college, however I did not attain funding since I did not apply to a body out-with the Clarendon option that you are automatically put forward for; admittedly a naive application on my front.

Since then I have achieved a First Class Honours in my undergraduate, and I have been in contact with a range of graduates of the course, and lecturers - and I'll be putting forward a stronger statement and application towards a number of funding bodies.

So, here we go again....

Best of luck to everyone this year! What are we all applying for?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I am applying for M.Sc (education). Last year I was on hold and finally rejected, this time once again I am applying with a strong statement. hopefully i make it this year.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hi everyone,

I am an international student from Berlin applying for the MPhil in European Politics and Society and possibly for the MPhil in REES as my proposed research topic seems to fit both courses. For now I have achieved the international equivalent of a First and several internships relevant to the course, but no real research experience so that's my weak spot.

If anyone is applying to the same courses, feel free to reach out!
How many masters can you apply to during the same application and for the same cycle period?

I know it is likely only one.
I'm just curious as I know that for instance at Imperial you apply for two. The second course will only be considered if the first is unsuccessful (basically a safety net if you get rejected by your first choice course).

Is this similar for Oxford? Or just one course per year?
Hi guys!

I'll be doing my MSt in Archaeology this year at Jesus College, and will be applying to do the DPhil in Archaeology this year! Can't believe it's this time already, if anyone wants any advice for applying to the MSt Archaeology, or about Jesus College let me know!!!
Hi! I'm an international student applying for the MML MSc.
I have a 1st overall GPA from my undergraduate institution that's well-known abroad & a very high 1st for the language GPA I want to focus on.
I'm applying to Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, and maybe Manchester.
(edited 4 years ago)
Applying for MSc Social Data Science and MPhil Linguistics :smile:
Original post by countduckula1906
How many masters can you apply to during the same application and for the same cycle period?

I know it is likely only one.
I'm just curious as I know that for instance at Imperial you apply for two. The second course will only be considered if the first is unsuccessful (basically a safety net if you get rejected by your first choice course).

Is this similar for Oxford? Or just one course per year?

Hi! I just read on Oxford's website that you can apply to more than 1 Masters course during the same applications and cycle period, but it's rarely done. I've read around TSR a bit and also saw that applying for more than 1 Master can give the impression that you're not entirely "dedicated" to researching/pursuing an MA and are only applying because it's "Oxbridge." Out of curiosity, what 2 courses are you thinking about?

Here's the quote (although it's dated from 2010...):
"You can apply for multiple courses, but it is not normally possible for applicants to apply twice for the same course during the same admissions cycle. It is only possible to apply for the same course twice within the same application cycle if you are applying for a research degree (DPhil) with a significantly different research proposal. If you are considering doing this, please contact the academic department first (via the contact details included on the relevant course page) to check whether they will permit this." :smile:
Original post by HopingAcademic
Hi! I just read on Oxford's website that you can apply to more than 1 Masters course during the same applications and cycle period, but it's rarely done. I've read around TSR a bit and also saw that applying for more than 1 Master can give the impression that you're not entirely "dedicated" to researching/pursuing an MA and are only applying because it's "Oxbridge." Out of curiosity, what 2 courses are you thinking about?

Here's the quote (although it's dated from 2010...):
"You can apply for multiple courses, but it is not normally possible for applicants to apply twice for the same course during the same admissions cycle. It is only possible to apply for the same course twice within the same application cycle if you are applying for a research degree (DPhil) with a significantly different research proposal. If you are considering doing this, please contact the academic department first (via the contact details included on the relevant course page) to check whether they will permit this." :smile:

I have specific reasons for applying for 2 masters irrelevant to the institution I’m applying to as I’m doing so at multiple separate institutions that aren’t oxbridge.
Ok, great--I'd say go for it then!
Applied to the MSc in Modern South Asian Studies. Good luck everyone!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
- Current University: Oxford (MSt Modern British History) did my undergrad at Southampton (BA History)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Hopefully a distinction, too early to tell, 1:1 in the BA
- Prospective Course: DPhil in British History 1850+
- Prospective College: Teddy Hall
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: If i do a DPhil here i'll try and set up an olympic weightlifting society
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
- Current University:
- Achieved (Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course:
- Prospective College:
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities:

I got this formate from 'Official Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Applicants Thread'. Good luck with your applications! :smile:
Reply 13
- Current University: University of Manchester (Chemical Engineering) graduated in 2019
- Achieved Grade: 1st
- Prospective Course: MPhil in Nuclear Energy
- Prospective College: Not sure) might be Darwin or have open application
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Course Rep (final year), UNDP (volunteering), 2 summer internships in Supply Chain and Procurement positions
Original post by jam1312
- Current University:
- Prospective Course:
- Prospective College:

I got this formate from 'Official Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Applicants Thread'. Good luck with your applications! :smile:

Thanks for the template.

- Current University: University of Leeds
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First in Electrical Engineering (74.7%)
- Prospective Course: MRes in Connected Electronic and Photonic Systems
- Prospective College:Trinity Hall / Queens

Hey everyone. Can you please help me with the following questions. I had a total of 3 'mitigating conditions' cases during exams in years 2 and 3. This has affected my grades and our university policy does not allow us to resit exams as 'first attempts' unless we fail you fail so my transcript grades were affected. Should I mention my extenuating conditions to Cambridge? If yes, should I mention all 3 cases or not? My course mate told me that I might look like an apologist and that they might think I am undedicated person making lots of excuses to increase my chances of getting an offer. And even that it might not look very real and convincing. What do you guys think I should do ?
Does anyone know if applications are reviewed on a rolling basis at Oxford, or is it after the 15th November early deadline when they look?
Reply 16
Original post by Patagonia
Does anyone know if applications are reviewed on a rolling basis at Oxford, or is it after the 15th November early deadline when they look?

There might be exceptions to this which I'm not aware of, but every application process at Oxford that I know involves assessing the applications only after each deadline.
Original post by QHF
There might be exceptions to this which I'm not aware of, but every application process at Oxford that I know involves assessing the applications only after each deadline.

I'm applying to MPhil in Comparative Government, from everything I have seen online I have never seen someone receive either a rejection or acceptance before early/mid-March.
So is it the case that there isn't really a reason to turn in the application early?
Original post by jam1312
- Current University:
- Prospective Course:
- Prospective College:

- Current University: Top ranked American liberal arts
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: American equivalent of 1st
- Prospective Course: MPhil Comparative Government
- Prospective College: Nuffield (although I am worried that might be a "waste" since it's so hard) or Balliol
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Lots of professional political work in the US; was a direct enrolled visiting student there in undergrad and just absolutely loved the tutorials/seminars
Reply 19
Original post by btermite
So is it the case that there isn't really a reason to turn in the application early?

I'm not aware of any reason to turn the application in early. Well, no harm in getting it in a week or so before the deadline, just in case you have last-minute technical hitches. But, as far as my knowledge stretches, there'd be no advantage in applying a month or two months early.

Quick Reply

Latest