The Student Room Group

Less than a month to go before I start my MA

Thus beginning a new chapter in my life.

I've been out of education for six and a half years, when I graduated with third-class honours from my IT BSc - having been jerked about by incompetent tutors; having also had a major depressive episode that cost me a rather crucial year of my life. I frankly think that third was an achievement.

After spending a couple of years alternately faffing about and applying for work I wasn't qualified for, I started writing, and in the last five years or so I've averaged two books a year, some of which I've self-published.

At New Year just gone, I decided to make 2019 my year - the year I turn 30 will be the year I pull out all the stops and make a break for it. I've worked hard on my projects, and also got onto an MA in Creative Writing at the Open University.

I turn 30 in a week and a half. Just under two weeks after that, I start my MA. It's going to be a hard one, I know, but the workload is definitely not beyond me. I'm preparing to start a seventh edit of a new fantasy novel (which will hopefully be the start of a new series), and have ideas brewing for many other things too. I'm also getting back into practising music and may start performing in public again.

2019 is, indeed, looking like my year.
Original post by Tootles

I've been out of education for six and a half years, when I graduated with third-class honours from my IT BSc - having been jerked about by incompetent tutors; having also had a major depressive episode that cost me a rather crucial year of my life. I frankly think that third was an achievement.

After spending a couple of years alternately faffing about and applying for work I wasn't qualified for, I started writing, and in the last five years or so I've averaged two books a year, some of which I've self-published.

At New Year just gone, I decided to make 2019 my year - the year I turn 30 will be the year I pull out all the stops and make a break for it. I've worked hard on my projects, and also got onto an MA in Creative Writing at the Open University.

I turn 30 in a week and a half. Just under two weeks after that, I start my MA. It's going to be a hard one, I know, but the workload is definitely not beyond me. I'm preparing to start a seventh edit of a new fantasy novel (which will hopefully be the start of a new series), and have ideas brewing for many other things too. I'm also getting back into practising music and may start performing in public again.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Oxford Mum
Good luck!

Thank you :woo:
Original post by Tootles
Thank you :woo:

You are welcome.
Happy 30th in advance :biggrin:
Tell us the books you’ve written
Reply 6
Original post by steamed-hams

Yes, I'm curious to know too.

Original post by Tolgarda
Yes, I'm curious to know too.

Da Vinci Code.
We are all just pleased for you because you are a published author, and this course will improve your skills even further
Reply 9
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Happy 30th in advance :biggrin:

Thank you :woo: I still feel about 15 though tbh

My main published work to date is a fantasy epic called The Force of the Gods, which is my perversion of the idea of the "otherworld"; it wasn't made my Aslan or Ember or anyone like that, it was made by an angry teeganer who made a pact with a god for power, but he could only make a dead, stagnant world. My main chatacter takes it upon himself to unmake that world, but finds it more complicated than he thought, because he hadn't figured that there would be innocents involved.

I'm also working on an urban fantasy series set around Manchester. I had originally described it as a YA work, but after talking face-to-face to a book doctor/fellow writer about it last weekend have decided it's just a straight-up fantasy - which just happens to open with an eleven-year-old MC.

There's other things, too, like some sf, a bit of a psychological story, and a satire positing Donald Trump as a superhero, which I unpublished because I want to improve it.
Original post by calm and cool
It's going to be a great year for you best of luck!

Thank you :cute:
Original post by Notoriety
Da Vinci Code.

:rolleyes:

We are all just pleased for you because you are a published author, and this course will improve your skills even further

That's what I'm hoping. It'll also open the door for me for if I'm still interested in teaching in a couple of years.
Original post by Tootles
Thank you :woo: I still feel about 15 though tbh

My main published work to date is a fantasy epic called The Force of the Gods, which is my perversion of the idea of the "otherworld"; it wasn't made my Aslan or Ember or anyone like that, it was made by an angry teeganer who made a pact with a god for power, but he could only make a dead, stagnant world. My main chatacter takes it upon himself to unmake that world, but finds it more complicated than he thought, because he hadn't figured that there would be innocents involved.

I'm also working on an urban fantasy series set around Manchester. I had originally described it as a YA work, but after talking face-to-face to a book doctor/fellow writer about it last weekend have decided it's just a straight-up fantasy - which just happens to open with an eleven-year-old MC.

There's other things, too, like some sf, a bit of a psychological story, and a satire positing Donald Trump as a superhero, which I unpublished because I want to improve it.

Thank you :cute:

:rolleyes:

That's what I'm hoping. It'll also open the door for me for if I'm still interested in teaching in a couple of years.

I lived in Manchester for over a decade. Believe me, it is not the stuff of fantasies! :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I lived in Manchester for over a decade. Believe me, it is not the stuff of fantasies! :s-smilie:

That's actually why it's set there - or, I should say, in a slightly fictionalized version of Wythenshawe. I know Manchester and some of the surrounding areas (Bolton, Bury, Radcliffe, et al) fairly well, through travels with friends and a couple of women I've had relationships with in years gone by.
There are more male suicides there than any other place in the uk. I was burgled three times, someone tried to nick our car..

One day I was sunbathing in a park and the following week a woman was murdered there
Reply 13
Good luck, man. You'll boss it
Hope you remember us all when you’re famous!
Original post by Tootles

Best of luck! Doing my MA was one of the best things I ever chose for myself, so I'm sure you'll do amazing. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending