The Student Room Group

Computing and ICT Coursework (CPT6/ICT6) Help and Advice Thread

Scroll to see replies

Thanks raman for the stuff it really seems helpful. Im new to student room. Id just like to also thank the others for posting good advice about ICT 6 which is what im going to be starting this year. It seems pretty tough especially with the real end user.

Thanks once again.
Reply 21
Hey guys, this thread is really useful, however its the first year my school is doing computing and they have no exemplar material. Any chance of a copy of exemplar material either from the exam board or old coursework.

Thanks alot.
If it's the first year then you're doing AS computing right? This thread is for A2. Plus, the computing Syllabus changed (for edexcel) I think this year, so that could be a problem.

I'm on the other end of the stick though, my year is the last year to do computing 'cause the year before us did so badly (even though we're doing quite well).
360Eddie
Hey guys, this thread is really useful, however its the first year my school is doing computing and they have no exemplar material. Any chance of a copy of exemplar material either from the exam board or old coursework.

Thanks alot.

Your school should be able to request exemplar material from your exam board :smile: It's not publicly available.
Reply 24
Oh ok, i just wondered thats all as are school doesnt get anything done when you ask them. Im doing A2, but its the first 2 years you could say taht we are doing computing, but last years year 13 didnt take computing they took ICT.
Reply 25
I've practically finished my A2 CPT6 project but haven't done much of the writeup at all yet.

I am wondering on the design section are you supposed to do an initial design and a final design? or just a final design? and should the design be done as sketches of your forms/program screens?
or is it ok to use prototyping instead of an initial/final design? for example showing an initial prototype which I "showed to the client" and they made suggestions/comments which leads to me making a second/final prototype with improvements made to it.
Also, the main part of my project is a VB application, but this app connects to a database (which I created in access). Do I need to do entity relationship diagrams and "design" and stuff for the database too? since the database isn't really the main part of my project I was thinking maybe a lot of detail on how I designed/created the database wouldn't be necessary.

thanks to anyone who helps. :smile:
Reply 26
Hey everyone. I'm just wondering about whether or not my preliminary data dictionary & entity relationships should be of the current system and the proposed system. I cant seem to find it on the AQA website, the only spec I can find is the CPT advice and guidance.

Thank you
thomas49th
Hey everyone. I'm just wondering about whether or not my preliminary data dictionary & entity relationships should be of the current system and the proposed system. I cant seem to find it on the AQA website, the only spec I can find is the CPT advice and guidance.

Thank you

Data Dictionary and ERD should be of the proposed system.
Reply 28
secretmessages
Computing Module 6 - Coursework

in the spec it has 'Description of modular structure of system;' under the design section. i was wondering what you would put under this section?
TSR King
in the spec it has 'Description of modular structure of system;' under the design section. i was wondering what you would put under this section?

A 'tree' diagram, showing which menu options/groups you have to navigate through to reach a specific process. E.g. for a library, one branch of the tree would be Members -> View existing member -> View outstanding library fees for members
Reply 30
secretmessages
A 'tree' diagram, showing which menu options/groups you have to navigate through to reach a specific process. E.g. for a library, one branch of the tree would be Members -> View existing member -> View outstanding library fees for members

thanks, thats what i thought... what would therefore be 'overall system design'? is that just the same?
Isn't "Overall system design" the UI designs?
Reply 32
I'm an idiot.

Due to me hating databases with every fibre of my being, I decided against conforming with everyone else so I decided to create a game for a group of people I know. I should have taken my teacher's advise...with a database, you can create it in a very short time and you can write a load about it...with a game, it takes VERY long to create and there is not much you can write about. There are a load of things I can't write about such as analysing the previous system (as there is no previous system).

I let my feelings get the best of me. To be totally honest, the one way to describe my current situation is to say that I am utterly :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:...
Reply 33
I am doing the testing section on my cpt6 at the moment. In the test plan i have 6 tables, one for each form, and i have put the same test in 3/4 of the forms, for example, 'Check that the 'Add' button works'.. However, do i have to show evidence of the testing for all 4 forms, or can i just do the one?
I'm still coding mine. We've been given a deadline of 20th March for the coding section. I've gotten my program fully designed and everything, and every form links, as well as a fully formed (minus records) database, but I'm still trying to figure out how to link them ... We're using MS Access 2003 and Visual Studio 2003 (VB.NET).
Hi All,

I'm doing AQA ICT and i'm on the analysis section. i'm finding it really difficult to draw data flow diagrams for my current system, is there any useful websites that may be able to help? Also, do i need to do ERD (entity relationship diagrams) for my current system?
Reply 36
I've just finished my system testing section, but I have a bad feeling that everything I've done so far is rubbish =[
I'm still doing my coding T_T REALLY struggling on getting the code to work!
Reply 38
i will have finished the system maintenance by the easter holidays.. leaving just the user manual which will take about 2 weeks and then the appraisal which will take no more than 2 lessons.
Reply 39
TSR King
i will have finished the system maintenance by the easter holidays.. leaving just the user manual which will take about 2 weeks and then the appraisal which will take no more than 2 lessons.

2 Weeks? Just did mine on powerpoint in around a day and from what I've heard my system is bigger than yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending