The Student Room Group

I love to do medicine

I really really want to do medicine and grades aren’t my barrier but gosh doctors work so long per week!! I hear doctors work between 50-80 hours and it really intimates me. It’s a great profession and I respect every doctor I see and meet but knowing that they don’t have work/life balances and they don’t see their kids and family much really frightened me. When I have a family I want to be there for my kids and I want to be able to do hobbies in free time but there isn’t any time. Iknow that ppl say there’s babysitters and stuff but no I can’t do such a thing! I love doctors and I dreamed to be one since I was young but it seems so overwhelming. I’m really really lost and stuck in a hole. What must I do?
Doctors’ hours in the UK are subject to the European Working Time Directive, which means that the average maximum hours per week is 48. There will be weeks with more than that, weeks with less, but it averages out to 48. As a junior in particular you do sometimes end up doing more than that. And again, especially in the first few years, there are exams to study for etc, which is in addition to work. But it is perfectly possible to have a social life and see your children and do things other than work. Also, some people with young children choose to work part time. Obviously training part time means that training takes longer overall, but it gives more flexible time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending