The Student Room Group

Medicine or biomedical science?

Hi I am year12 I am hoping to get latest 3 As in biology, maths, chemistry. At GSCEs I got three 9s, one 8 and five 7s. I love biology.

I am considering studying medicine, although im not sure I want to be a doctor? (Im doing some work experience to work out if I am interested in being a doctor). I am considering studying biomedical science at university.

What do you think would be better for me?
There is literally no point in applying to a medicine degree if you don't want to be a doctor. The entire point of the degree is to train you to become a doctor. While yes you can do other things after a medical degree, that's not the purpose of it and anything you could do after a medical degree that isn't medicine you can do after doing another degree (either any degree or a specific degree, depending on the intended outcome).

If you know you don't want to pursue a career in medicine, skip the medical degree and do another degree of interest.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
There is literally no point in applying to a medicine degree if you don't want to be a doctor. The entire point of the degree is to train you to become a doctor. While yes you can do other things after a medical degree, that's not the purpose of it and anything you could do after a medical degree that isn't medicine you can do after doing another degree (either any degree or a specific degree, depending on the intended outcome).

If you know you don't want to pursue a career in medicine, skip the medical degree and do another degree of interest.

Thank you for your reply, I didn't realise that medicine was just for if you wanted to be a doctor. I am going to have to look at more degrees and find what I am most interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending