The Student Room Group

Dropping out of PGCE

I've just started my primary pgce this week and I can already tell it's totally not for me, my heart isn't in it and I'm finding the long days (lectures from 9-4pm with a 45 min break) so challenging and mentally draining. I am not excited to go on placement at all and I can't even imagine teaching as a career any more; I'm considering suspending for 12 months and restarting next September but I'm worried I won't want to do it in a year's time either. I feel like such a failure and that I'll be letting my family down but I can't help feeling that this will make me so unhappy and it'll ruin this whole year for me. Can anyone give me any advice? I feel like I've made up my mind but I would like to hear if anyone has opinions on this.
Honestly, you need to drop out and look for something else to do. The PGCE is exhausting and relentless and if you are hating it after one week, you will be in bits after a month.
Original post by lcath1998
I've just started my primary pgce this week and I can already tell it's totally not for me, my heart isn't in it and I'm finding the long days (lectures from 9-4pm with a 45 min break) so challenging and mentally draining. I am not excited to go on placement at all and I can't even imagine teaching as a career any more; I'm considering suspending for 12 months and restarting next September but I'm worried I won't want to do it in a year's time either. I feel like such a failure and that I'll be letting my family down but I can't help feeling that this will make me so unhappy and it'll ruin this whole year for me. Can anyone give me any advice? I feel like I've made up my mind but I would like to hear if anyone has opinions on this.

The bits in bold show me instantly that this is the wrong route for you and you know it. You say you've made up your mind and to me that suggests that you're just looking for validation from others before making this choice - that's natural and to be applauded. Don't worry what your family will think. I suspect that they just want you to be happy and they will be worried if you're not happy, so to me, I think they'll be glad you're dropping out and finding a new career that makes you happy.
Original post by lcath1998

I'm sorry you feel this way.

However, if you're finding the days long now, the I think you'll really struggle on placement- during placement, I was often out of the house from 6.30am to 5.30pm, with minimal "breaks" as such (and it's similar now I'm an NQT). I'd also do some work at least one day at the weekend.

I'd say- drop out, go and get some work experience in a completely different field, and then in a few years time you can come back to teaching if you want to.

Your family will understand that you've made a mistake and they won't want you to be miserable. Why not write them a letter about the situation if you can't face talking to them about it?
Reply 4
I'm going to offer a contrasting opinion here:

I hated the university-based elements of the PGCE because I was there to train to be a teacher. In my eyes, that was me teaching classes and interacting with students. I did what I had to do, and I'll admit, in September I was thinking 'oh my god what have I done I should drop out before placement'.

...The course and your feelings will totally change dynamic when you go to placement. It becomes like a job and not studying, which in my mind made the long days and early mornings/late finished more bearable because I was in the 'going to work' mind frame.

It's challenging, there's no doubt, but I would suggest - you went into the course wanting to train to be a teacher, so give yourself the opportunity to actually see what it's like to be a teacher and decide after you've been to your first placement for a few days/a week or so whether it's for you or not. If you were THAT sure it wasn't for you you wouldn't be questioning it here.

You'll soon know after a few days in placement whether it's for you or not and it'll take any doubts away from your mind in regards to reapplication next year. Nothing will change with the uni stuff next year so if you're not enjoying that element now what makes you think you will next year?

Seriously, give the actual school-based training a chance before you make any decisions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lilopp
I'm going to offer a contrasting opinion here:

I hated the university-based elements of the PGCE because I was there to train to be a teacher. In my eyes, that was me teaching classes and interacting with students. I did what I had to do, and I'll admit, in September I was thinking 'oh my god what have I done I should drop out before placement'.

...The course and your feelings will totally change dynamic when you go to placement. It becomes like a job and not studying, which in my mind made the long days and early mornings/late finished more bearable because I was in the 'going to work' mind frame.

It's challenging, there's no doubt, but I would suggest - you went into the course wanting to train to be a teacher, so give yourself the opportunity to actually see what it's like to be a teacher and decide after you've been to your first placement for a few days/a week or so whether it's for you or not. If you were THAT sure it wasn't for you you wouldn't be questioning it here.

You'll soon know after a few days in placement whether it's for you or not and it'll take any doubts away from your mind in regards to reapplication next year. Nothing will change with the uni stuff next year so if you're not enjoying that element now what makes you think you will next year?

Seriously, give the actual school-based training a chance before you make any decisions.

I do sort of agree with this- I think a lot of people prefer placement and find the uni sessions a bit boring/pointless.

My big concern is that OP is finding the 9-4 days "challenging and mentally draining". I'm willing to bet you didn't do many 9-4 days on placement!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending