The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Becoming a teacher with a degree via the OU?

I dropped out of university a couple of months ago, because I wasn't enjoying the traditional aspect of it, but have since learnt about doing a degree via the OU. Since I would like to be a teacher with a PGCE, does an OU degree count as valid? How does it compare to a traditional uni?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I dropped out of university a couple of months ago, because I wasn't enjoying the traditional aspect of it, but have since learnt about doing a degree via the OU. Since I would like to be a teacher with a PGCE, does an OU degree count as valid? How does it compare to a traditional uni?

For teaching purposes and as far as I know, a degree from the OU is the same as a degree from any red brick university. The PGCE is up to you, since it would depend on the subject and where you want to do it.

I have been taught by teachers who have degrees from the OU, and they have been fine as far as I know.

If you're asking what it's like applying to become a teacher with an OU degree, I cannot comment because I am not a teacher myself and I didn't do a degree from OU.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest