How to get to Royal Holloway from London by train? Watch

lumenbestia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm new here and unfamiliar with how the train system in the UK works. As far as I know, Oyster cards are only used in London. I want to get to Royal Holloway University by train for their open day but as it's in Egham, Surrey, I have a few questions.

1. Can I just top up my oyster card and use it to pay for the fares at Egham station? Or do I need to purchase a separate ticket?

2. How much does it cost to get there? I looked up fares online and its confusing because it differs for each station if I'm not mistaken. I'm used to London fares between zones 2 - 6 for £1.50. I looked up on trainline and from Hayes and Harlington (where I live near), it costs £19.80 while for Feltham, it costs £6.00. I'm worried I might be missing out on a cheaper option or a more efficient route.

3. Also, can I still use an Oyster card to pay for the buses in Egham? Or do I need to buy a ticket for that too? (or if I can pay with my contactless debit card instead)

I'm sorry if I sound dumb asking them. I never traveled to other parts of the UK so I'm unsure how transportation works here. Thank you!
lumenbestia
Rep:
?
bump
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lumenbestia)
I'm new here and unfamiliar with how the train system in the UK works. As far as I know, Oyster cards are only used in London. I want to get to Royal Holloway University by train for their open day but as it's in Egham, Surrey, I have a few questions.

1. Can I just top up my oyster card and use it to pay for the fares at Egham station? Or do I need to purchase a separate ticket?

2. How much does it cost to get there? I looked up fares online and its confusing because it differs for each station if I'm not mistaken. I'm used to London fares between zones 2 - 6 for £1.50. I looked up on trainline and from Hayes and Harlington (where I live near), it costs £19.80 while for Feltham, it costs £6.00. I'm worried I might be missing out on a cheaper option or a more efficient route.

3. Also, can I still use an Oyster card to pay for the buses in Egham? Or do I need to buy a ticket for that too? (or if I can pay with my contactless debit card instead)

I'm sorry if I sound dumb asking them. I never traveled to other parts of the UK so I'm unsure how transportation works here. Thank you!
Hi lumenbestia,

Thanks for your query.

Unfortunately Egham station is out of the oyster card zone. The last station on the route out of London Waterloo that accepts oyster card payment is Feltham. So you will either need to stop there and by a ticket from Feltham to Egham which may interrupt your journey or purchase a ticket from your train station to Egham.

The prices of tickets can vary on where your nearest station is due to the length of journey or if you have to change trains etc. It can also vary between peak and offpeak train times, so rush hour trains tend to be more expensive. It may be good to have a look on Nationalrail to look at possible routes and prices.

Buses in Egham don't accept oyster card because it is out of the London zones. The Royal Holloway buses that run between the station and campus are £1 and can be paid for in cash or contactless card. There are also local buses, prices may vary, that also accept cash or contactless.

Hope this all helps,

Philippa
lumenbestia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
Hi lumenbestia,

Thanks for your query.

Unfortunately Egham station is out of the oyster card zone. The last station on the route out of London Waterloo that accepts oyster card payment is Feltham. So you will either need to stop there and by a ticket from Feltham to Egham which may interrupt your journey or purchase a ticket from your train station to Egham.

The prices of tickets can vary on where your nearest station is due to the length of journey or if you have to change trains etc. It can also vary between peak and offpeak train times, so rush hour trains tend to be more expensive. It may be good to have a look on Nationalrail to look at possible routes and prices.

Buses in Egham don't accept oyster card because it is out of the London zones. The Royal Holloway buses that run between the station and campus are £1 and can be paid for in cash or contactless card. There are also local buses, prices may vary, that also accept cash or contactless.

Hope this all helps,

Philippa
Thank you so much!!! I'm looking forward to visiting on the open day
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lumenbestia)
Thank you so much!!! I'm looking forward to visiting on the open day
You're very welcome! We can't wait to welcome you to campus!

Philippa
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.99%
They might tell the bully (32)
9.73%
I don't think they'd understand (49)
14.89%
It might lead to more bullying (124)
37.69%
There's nothing they could do (101)
30.7%

Watched Threads